Need Help for Activities and Car Rental!

wangy26

We will be docked at curacao on March 6 (Fri.) from 8 AM to 6 PM. We are a group of 5 women and this will be our first visit there. From reading the info here it seems to me that town is within walking distance. However, we also want to go to Playa Porto Mari for snorkeling and some beach time. The taxi seems expensive. I am think about renting a car for a day. Can you help me with the following questions?

1. Which are the car rental company that service cruise ship pier? Where can you find their info?

2. How much does it cost for one day rental on average? Do they usually have automatic shift or manual one? Can you request a auto shift? None of us can drive manual shift.

3. Is it manageable driving on the island (road condition and sign)? We are from US.

4. Is there any parking problem at beach and around town?

Thanks very much for your help!

We will be docked at curacao on March 6 (Fri.) from 8 AM to 6 PM. We are a group of 5 women and this will be our first visit there. From reading the info here it seems to me that town is within walking distance. However, we also want to go to Playa Porto Mari for snorkeling and some beach time. The taxi seems expensive. I am think about renting a car for a day. Can you help me with the following questions?

1. Which are the car rental company that service cruise ship pier? Where can you find their info?

Avis Car Rental. Just go to their worldwide website and do a mock booking after you choose the Curacao - Otrabanda location (location is at the Mega Pier and the code is WM2)

2. How much does it cost for one day rental on average? Do they usually have automatic shift or manual one? Can you request a auto shift? None of us can drive manual shift.

You will get the price when you do the mock booking, but should be between $ 50 - $60 total. You can request an automatic, but I believe all their cars are automatic anyway.

3. Is it manageable driving on the island (road condition and sign)? We are from US.

Very easy to navigate or you can rent a GPS at Avis.

4. Is there any parking problem at beach and around town?

Only parking problem would be in the immediate downtown shopping area. Paid parking (there are meters) and there are always more cars than parking spots.

Thanks very much for your help!

Isa65,

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it. I will look into Avis car rental. We would like to see Willemstad and the Queen Emma Bridge plus go to beach. If parking in town is difficult is it better we just walk to town first to see these places and then rent a car and drive to the beach?

I would do it the other way around. Go to the beach(es) first, then return the car (maybe shower and change onboard) and then head to the downtown area (only a couple of minutes walk).

That way you'll be close to the ship when it's sail away time and won't have to stress getting back.