Grandeur Dec. 9-19: As comfortable as an old shoe

barante

We just returned from the Grandeur, our second try at RCL in close a decade. The first one also was the Grandeur out of Baltimore. It was a great success, and so was this one. I am going to monitor prices and may book this same pre-Christmas cruise next year.

We have cruised a plenty. On all mass market biggest, except for Cunard, but including Costa (a month in SE Asia) and Disney. And while we still fly -- our next will be a Carnival Pride reposition from Tampa to Baltimore -- I wanted again to enjoy the simplicity of sailing out of our home town, Baltimore.

On our first Grandeur cruise we had an inside, IIRC. This time we got a steal: a junior suite at a price lower than balcony. Plus complimentary gratuities, plus a complimentary meal at Chops.

As I said, we are ecumenical when it comes to cruise lines. Give us a good itinerary at a great price and we are game. A similar rule applies to cabins. We don't care, as long as it is not a broom closet. We favor 4K (the "inside" with french doors that open) on certain Carnival ships, JS (either Lower Promenade, as in Amsterdam and Veendam, or Main, as in New Amsterdam and Noordam). We usually see little value in paying much extra for an OV. Balconies when they attractive. And now this JS on the Grandeur. That's what I want next year, if I can spot a sweet deal.

Some may feel that the Grandeur's itinerary is old hat: Labadee, San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. We love it. In fact, the weakest destination was Labadee, which also had a megaship with its army of pushy passengers. The main beach requires serious water shoes because it is full of coral, including big ones that almost tore up my Speedos (the decent type). We then relocated to the bay side, found a shady place and felt fine.

Since we have done this itinerary numerous times (in some variations), we knew what we wanted to do.

In San Juan, we took the free shuttle to City Hall and then climbed up the hill in the direction of El Morro. We never quite got there because the university campus area hosted a cultural festival. Live bands, people watching, food. Also an overview of El Morro and a very cool cemetery that is nearly washed by the waves. The whole day, traffic was horrendous. The reason was not only the festival -- where we saw no other obvious cruisers -- but followed when we returned to the ship: A festival of lighted boats. What a hoot!

In St. Thomas we took a cab to the Crown Bay marina ($5 pp.), mingled with some locals at a coffee house and then took the 10 a.m. "ferry" to Water Island. Our destination was Honeymoon Beach, an uncrowded gem with great sand, no coral (but no real snorkeling either). It's within walking distance from the ferry landing (downhill down, uphill back). I ended renting a golf cart for $40 because I did not want to hazard missing the 1:30 p.m. boat back since thunderstorms had been forecast.

In St. Maarten we took the water taxi to the downtown beach and shops. Great prices on cigs: $19.95 for Kent lights. My wife smokes. We then found a nice spot on the beach. Good swimming and relaxing with dirt-cheap rum punch of multiple flavors created by a chica from Dominican Republic. Lots from DR in St. Maarten.

On the ship, the complimentary meal at Chops was great as an experience. But overall, the regular dining room was just fine. All Grandeur fish dishes were better than on Carnival Magic and Legend.

We went to each evening's Palladium theater shows. There was an intelligent comedian: Brad Cummings. The Grandeur Orchestra was excellent. The cruise director was quite good too.

I was shocked when I learned about the Grandeur's Internet packages. For me, the cheapest of the unlimited packages made sense. It set me back $203 for ten days (after the Gold member discount), but was worth it because this was a working vacation.

Edited by barante

I meant to say that on certain HAL ships we like the category J, either a huge inside on Main Deck (Noordam, New Amsterdam) or the smaller J (Amsterdam, Veendam, etc.) just a few steps away from the promenade and its loungers.

Sorry if the above reads a bit garbled. I was in the middle of writing it when an unexpected visitor came. Rather than losing what I had written, I posted it without properly proofing it.

Not that it matters to anyone but me, probably, but what I also meant to say was that we have tried Costa and MSC, but never Cunard or Disney.

The Honeymoon Beach ferry was $10 pp. roundtrip.

Edited by barante

I meant to say that on certain HAL ships we like the category J, either a huge inside on Main Deck (Noordam, New Amsterdam) or the smaller J (Amsterdam, Veendam, etc.) just a few steps away from the promenade and its loungers.

Sorry if the above reads a bit garbled. I was in the middle of writing it when an unexpected visitor came. Rather than losing what I had written, I posted it without properly proofing it.

Not that it matters to anyone but me, probably, but what I also meant to say was that we have tried Costa and MSC, but never Cunard or Disney.

The Honeymoon Beach ferry was $10 pp. roundtrip.

We are doing this same itinerary on Jan 6, 2015. Do you have the Cruise Compasses for the 10 days? If so, I would love to see them. Also, do you have the MDR menus? Drink prices? Wine prices? I know...I know..I am asking a lot!

Edited by jimandtoni

Unfortunately, we don't keep that stuff. Worse yet, I don't have a drink list because my wife and I seldom drink. At the Crown Bay marina cafe she made an exception. At 9 a.m. she ordered a gin and tonic. Together with my refills of coffee, the total came to $7.30.

We had a couple of drinks aboard the Grandeur. My bill indicates two drinks (one is my wife's whiskey sour; the other once rum punch) at $16.96, including the 18 percent (?) gratuity, at the Palladium Theater and a whiskey sour and a Brazilian drink at the Schooner Bar for $15.53.

The Internet was doable for some purposes, not for others. Like forget about downloading youtube songs or other bandwidth-intensive uses. I could not get access to my bank account but the stockbroker worked just fine. So was ProQuest archival research (through the web site of my public library in Baltimore).

It worked for me, although I should have had a printer, which I didn't.

As most everyone knows, one burns plenty of minutes just attempting to log in. That is less aggravating when you are on an unlimited plan. You feel you are not wasting money. Also, I hate trying to find a wi-fi cafe on land. That deducts from the port times.

I read somewhere that someone is introducing a fast-speed shipboard Internet.

However, I am so ignorant about these things I have no idea how much of the problem is due to the ship rocking and how much is all the passenger competing for limited broadband width.

We were like POSH British colonials -- portside out, starboard home. That way one gets a wonderful view of El Morro in the daytime. At night, the illuminated fortress is on starboard side.

Every individual must decide whether any of these preferences is important. I feel that access to the Internet brings value to the overall experience. For me, not necessarily for someone else. That's why have always like the fact that access to the New York Times website is free on HAL ships. Reading the paper's full content has value.

We were on this cruise also (did you see the pink boas?). Sea was calm and except for the short storm in St Thomas the weather was good.

We love the ship and the itinerary and have done it many times.

jimandtoni - I have all our compasses. Was there something specific you wanted to know? Unfortunately my scanner is not working right now so I can't post them.

We were on this cruise also (did you see the pink boas?). Sea was calm and except for the short storm in St Thomas the weather was good.

We love the ship and the itinerary and have done it many times.

jimandtoni - I have all our compasses. Was there something specific you wanted to know? Unfortunately my scanner is not working right now so I can't post them.

I hope you get your scanner working! I do have a few specifics: 1.Which nights are FORMAL NIGHTS? 2. MDR Second Seating time...I have seen in various places 8PM and in others 8:30 PM 3. Aerial Shows in the centrum...what days and what times? I understand you need to be there early to get a good spot; if not, you really can't see much? 4. Diamond Lounge times?

As I said, we have not been on an RCI ship in many many years, and because there are so many sea days, I am curious about sea day activities.

Thank you for your help.

Jim and Toni

Edited by jimandtoni

Our first formal night was the first sea day. The second one was the night before the packing night.

Attires varied. For the first, I wore a jacket and tie; for the second a formal black and white Chinese tunic I bought in Vietnam or Hong Kong, forget which one. Overall, dress is not an issue. In warm climes it is common to see men wearing shorts to dinner in the MDR, although a sign outside says it's a no-no.

• 3 weeks later...