Buying a Camera in Vancouver

Can anyone suggest the best / cheapest place to buy a camera in Vancouver?? We are staying off Robson Street and I want to buy a fairly basic (read uncomplicated) camera for my upcoming cruise. Also, does anyone know what the cost of film is in Vancouver?

Thanks in advance

on Robson called London Drugs and they sell cameras.The bigger store is at Georgia and Granville and there is also a Future Shop in the same block.They have a good deal on a Kodak with printer dock right now.

I don't know where y'all live, but they do ship except if you live in Canada you have to pay duties, but they have the biggest choice and really good prices according to my hubby so perhpas to get an idea of what a good price is anyway you want to check out bhphotovideo.com

I don't know what kind of film camera you are looking for, SLR, my hubby would say the Minolta 7 is really high quality for a "film camera". He has the same in digital and loves them

Hope this helps. Hubby asked what kind of digital camera you have.

(he loves the camera talk).

Thanks guys for the info. Grouchy, I hadn't thought of the disposable panoramic ones - I had never heard of them before but I will definately pick one up.

MrsMoose, Although I have (what I consider) a quite good digital camera - a Canon Powershot S50, I am clueless when it comes to photography and am attempting to get some basic info before we do Alaska in 3 weeks. The good thing with the Powershot is that although there are loads of different things you can do with it (which I don't use!), you just have to point and click. I am also clueless when it comes to editing photos so I tend to just keep them on computer or use an oldfashioned camera when I know I'll want hard copies - guess I'm going to have to learn all about edting when I come back from Alaska!!

As for what kind of 'old fashioned' camera I want - I really don't have a clue - something with a fairly good zoom and good quality pictures with many automatic settings I suppose. So any advice on what I should look for is much appreciated. And now I'm going to ask what is most porbably a stupid question - what is SLR?? I know, I know, stupid.

You also asked where I come from - Ireland is the answer. Things are much cheaper in your part of the world as compared to here so that is why I want to buy my camera there. I will also get the 7% tax back. I will have a look at the link you attached and hopefully things will become a little clearer.

Thanks again.

PS Anyone have any idea of film cost and where the best deals can be found in Vancouver??

Thanks

Ok, sorry, I'm not into photography I only know what I pick up from the hubby.

SLR = Single Lens Reflex, you buy the "body" and you can change lens (not a point and shoot), you buy a grip, a charger and lens (many lens according to DH), it's his hobby and passion.

For a point and shoot I have no idea, as he doesn't use those.

Go to the webiste I suggested, they have everything and even if it's just to compare prices (they are in NYC) it's a good gage as they have really good prices on camera equipment and you can get a feel for whats out there.

Keep in mind add about 20% to their prices for CDN$ for the exchange and then a markup as they are very reasonable.

For film, again, hubby says for him depends on the speed, the quality of the film and so many variables, not just a one price thing for him.

Good luck, I think others here might be able to help you more with what you are looing for.

Archived