'Twas the Week Before Christmas – A seasonal review of the Silhouette

cruisinskier

Overall, we really enjoyed our day (afternoon) at the Westin! Yes there are cheaper ways to do the beach (grab the $5 pp beach bus from the pier) but this was exactly the type of day we were looking for. Given it was the week before Christmas, the hotel was fairly quiet, not everything was open (such as the pool bar), but service was great, we had some down time, and the beach and pool were very nice. Yes we would return here if the opportunity arose in the future.

A few final shots around the lobby...

DSC02140.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

DSC02145.jpg

And with that, at 4:45 we were in a taxi (always waiting in front of the hotel) to ensure we made it back for the last tender. Grand Cayman is very nice but tendering does reduce your day by at least an hour or more....

Edited by cruisinskier

We arrived back at the pier about 5:10 as there was traffic with everyone heading back to the ship.

There were a couple of shops at the pier but we did not do any shopping

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

Before long we were on a tender

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

And heading back to the Sillie

DSC02154.jpg

DSC02157.jpg

Did you contact the hotel directly to book the day room at the Westin and was that cost pp or per room/ group?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Coldweathergirl,

the cost was $119 + taxes for the family (not pp) which I had prepaid (total cost was $146 US). Yes I booked directly with the Westin. They also waive the $35 resort fee. There are more details here although it is cheaper to book direct with the hotel: http://www.resortforaday.com/Westin-Grand-Cayman-Day-Pass-p/gtgcwe.htm

I found the Westin day-pass option courtesy of a previous CC review I had read (thanks folks!). Now my turn to pay it forward...

Stay warm up there!

Jerry

Edited by cruisinskier

Hi Coldweathergirl,

the cost was $119 + taxes for the family (not pp) which I had prepaid. Yes I booked directly with the Westin. They also waive the $35 resort fee. Found the Westin day-pass option courtesy of a previous CC review I had read (thanks folks!). Now my turn to pay it forward...

Stay warm up there!

Jerry

Thanks. I may check it out. Sounds like a very civilized way to spend a day at the beach.

The only good thing about it being so cold up here is that the sun is shining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Suntan,

Always glad to bring back some memories of past trips!

As far as the camera goes, i am not one to lug around a big DSLR. I prefer the convenience of having something compact that will fit in my pocket and that I can easily carry with me for my trips. After some research, we bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V. It is a great little camera, basically a higher end point and shoot. It has a 16x optical zoom, 16.2 MP, and full 1080 HD video. It is not great in low light but otherwise it has worked well for us over the past few years.

Thanks for your interest and safe travels!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry for the data on the camera. I'm going to check that out as I need to downsize my cameras (currently have an 1980's Minolta Maxxum 7000 SLR).

Sue

Thanks Jerry for the data on the camera. I'm going to check that out as I need to downsize my cameras (currently have an 1980's Minolta Maxxum 7000 SLR).

Sue

Hi Sue,

The Sony camera is a few years old so there may be an updated model available now. We have used it for numerous trips and have been very happy with the overall results. The zoom is very good for a point & shoot camera. As I mentioned, low light photos are probably the main issue for this camera. Happy shopping!

Jerry

Thank you for posting your outstanding pictures and excellent review! We were on the Silhouette last March and are reliving our cruise!

Hi Rock, thanks for your kind comments and glad you are enjoying the review and photos. More to come shortly!

Jerry

Edited by cruisinskier

Happy New Year everyone!!!

And now back to the review.....after relaxing in the cabin for a while, we got dressed and headed to the dining room. We were seated quickly although when we arrived they said they did not have our reservation which we had called in earlier that morning.

DSC02196.jpg

Turkey Parmesan

DSC02197.jpg

DSC02198.jpg

Dessert menu

DSC02201.jpg

Chocolate cake

DSC02204.jpg

Cheesecake

DSC02205.jpg

We decided to go to the theatre and watch the show...it was a typical production show and average based on others we have seen. I did not take any photos during the show but here are a couple of the theatre...

DSC02244.jpg

DSC02245.jpg

And a few around the ship.....

DSC02248.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

We decided to go to the late night comedy show. The comics were good, the burlesque dancer seemed out of place. Anyway, we had a fun night and then it was time to head to bed to be ready for our arrival to Jamaica tomorrow.

DSC02256.jpg

We found this waiting for us in the room...

DSC02260.jpg

DSC02259.jpg