Skagway question

travgurl

We have booked a 7 hour tour in Skagway up the Klondike highway next summer. We actually dock in Haines. We are planning on taking the fast ferry from Haines to Skagway. We dock at 6:30 it says, but I was told they actually dock earlier than that time. We have to be at the ferry by 6:40 at the latest. It leaves at 6:45. As anyone else experienced using the ferry? I am hoping that the logistics all work out. Any advice would be great appreciated.

Thanks! Happy holidays to all!

Yes, usually the ships are in port early, but that doesn't mean they will be cleared early. The cruise dock and ferry dock are at 2 different locations, how are you planning to get between the 2? Sorry, this is not something I recommend you consider. An alternative that I have used is to fly between the 2 ports.

....or rent a car in Skagway instead and do your own excursion up to the Yukon.

That way you can catch a later ferry if necessary and there won't be any stress as you are not locked in to meeting a guide at a specific time.

If you rent from Avis in Skagway, you can just call the local office directly to let them know if you are going to be late picking up your car and they will hold it for you.

We have done that several times.

By the way, Haines usually provides a free shuttle bus to take cruise passengers all around the town whenever a cruise ship is docked there. You catch it down at the end of the pier.

The last time we were in Haines, the Skagway fast ferry used the same dock as the cruise ship, but on previous visits the fast ferry used another dock that was about a 5-10 minute walk from the cruise ship dock.

I have no idea which one they will be using in 2015.

Edited by fleckle