Extension cord for Cpap

seashinesunshine

They are not prohibited. Here is the link to Carnivals FAQ:

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88

My suggestion if to pack the cord with the C-pap in your carry on. Others will tell you the steward with provided you with one and that is mostly true but I have had one occasion that I was told there were none available. It wasn't for a C-pap but rather for a breathing treatment. After a visit to the MD one was found.

As noted above, the extension cords are not prohibited, as long as they are "not determined to pose a hazard." Meaning . . . make sure your extension cord/power strip, multi-plug adapters are in top condition. I have been on a CPAP for nearly 18 years, and have packed an extension cord and power strip on every cruise. In fact, I pack them in my checked luggage and have never had an issue. Many here suggest to pack the cord in your carry-on, or even in your CPAP case if there is room. This is probably a wise precaution in the event your checked luggage is delayed. But with the newer CPAP models being so much smaller, many of the carrying cases leave little extra room for anything else other than the mask, hoses, etc. However you choose to transport your extension cords, just don't put yourself in the situation of relying on your stateroom steward or guest services to provide you with one. The outlets are across the room from your bedside, and the extension cord is a must. And if your needs are anything like mine, being without your CPAP for even one night, is not an option.

Thanks so much everyone! My husband was wondering if they would provide one, but I think as you advise, even though sometimes it might work, they may not always have one so we will bring one. I guess we should also go shopping for a new one. Most of our cords are pretty old and should probably be replaced anyway. I will pack it with the machine, just in case someone questions it. I wonder if airlines care about them? I know we are allowed to carry them on and it doesn't count as a carryon, but what about cords, the airlines don't seem to like electronics. I guess we will pack it and if they take it, we will just buy another one.

I did not know they were allowed on Carnival. :) Good to know, just when I think I know it all about cruising, something new come up.

Side subject, you would not believe the dance I had to do to get my insurance to fill my medicine scrip early. It isn't due until Jan 10th and they wouldn't fill it early!!! It's not even that important of a drug. The fourth person my pharm talked to finally came thru and approved a vacation waiver. I mean really what am I supposed to do? Find a place in Mexico to fill it?? Oh well, I got it now. :)

You are fine flying with the extension cord.

I understand about the Rx. Hubby travels a great deal for work(as in has had to have extra pages added to his passport). HIs insurance never wants to fill early. He has been able to go to 3 months supply and that has helped some but there are still problems from time to time.

I posed a similar question to the Carnival special needs desk prior to my recent Miracle B2B cruises. I have medical equipment (2 separate items) that need to be plugged in overnight and occasionally during the day, as well. Carnival provided me with a power strip and it was in my cabin all set up upon my arrival.

I take a USA strip, extension cords, and a European strip with USA adapters. If I have a lamp next to my bed, it is usually a European type plug. I just plug European strip, in that plug, reinstall the lamp, and my CPAP. I always bring these items in my CPAP case and not had any problem. Been on at least 30 cruises since I had to use the CPAP. Be prepared for any conditions. Every ship is a bit different.

Since Morgan uses a C-Pap machine, the outlet is not convenient so we carry an extension cord and duck tape with us. I tape the cord down so that we don’t trip as me move about the cabin. The tape stays in place for the entire cruise. There has never been a question or an issue with doing this.

IMG_0335_zpsa43fe29a.jpg

...............................................]

Here ya go!

Edited by SadieN

• 5 months later...

I was fortunate enough to get one on my last (first) cruise from housekeeping. However, I read that they do run out of these so give you the option of bringing your own, which I will do on my next cruise. They replied to my email, in part, as follows:

"Carnival Cruise Lines permits guest who use BIPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, and Nebulizers onboard; guests must bring their own equipment onboard for personal use. Please hand-carry these items and do not place them in your checked luggage.

We have a limited supply of extension cords onboard, they are available for medical use only, and on a first come first serve basis. All vessels carry 110V 15 Ft molded connector type extension cords. A $25 deposit fee will be added to your Sail and Sign account. This is refundable once the extension cord has been returned. Please see Guest Services once onboard to obtain an extension cord or if you prefer you may bring you own. Please be certain to hand carry, if you do decide to bring your own."

Can anyone tell me if the cords need to be three prong? Does anyone know if a 125 volt cord is okay? I can't seem to find any 110 volt cords. Thanks!

What the....? they take a $25 deposit now?

I keep (for all trips) a 10-15 foot 2-prong extension cord from Home Depot in my travel bag. It has an end with three plugs which is useful for charging devices too, and no surge protection to keep it lightweight and meet ship restrictions.

Oh and a 125V cord just means it supports up to 125, no need to find a specific 110V cord.

Edited by Gig103

We bring an extension cord and power strip. We pack it in my husbands CPAP bag and it's never been questioned. We use masking tape for the cord on the floor--leaves no adhesive behind.

I told my husband to get a 10-12 ft cord, he got a 20ft. I asked if he was planning to sleep in the hall!

We bring an extension cord and power strip. We pack it in my husbands CPAP bag and it's never been questioned. We use masking tape for the cord on the floor--leaves no adhesive behind.

I told my husband to get a 10-12 ft cord, he got a 20ft. I asked if he was planning to sleep in the hall!

Or on the balcony!

Just got off the Pride last week. Husband and I both use CPAP. Took our own cord but asked room steward for utility cord and then plugged our extension cord into it so that we could plug in both machines.

Have previously completed special needs medical form and that way extension cord and distilled water were already in room when we arrived. Some room stewards did a great job of running extension cord up and across ceiling to avoid possibility of falls.