Info and ideas for Atlantic French Ports

buggins0402

The cruise we are about to book is a long way off...but, just want to finalize my due diligence on whether the itinerary meets our needs.

It includes three French ports, Le Verdun, Brest and St. Malo. Generally, we prefer DIY and will use public transportation when the port city has little to offer and there are better sites farther afield. However, I do look at the aggravation factor....so sometimes we'll end up in something that might be a second choice for an area because it's easier. We will also join small group excursions when the need fits ( an example would be the Amalfi from Naples in Italy). Prefer not to rent a car when doing a European port day...we've done it on longer land European trips, but I can have time management issues once we get in a car and automatic transmissions are sometimes not easy to get, even if reserved ahead.

Soooo...I guess my question is what ideas do people have for these port days given our preferred methods of getting around? A quick look indicated that Le Verdun is the most difficult. Since the cruise ends in Southampton, our thoughts at this time is to double back by ferry or flight to France and do the D day sites on a land basis after the cruise, so we won't need to do that from St. Malo.

Since you have ruled-out renting a car (our favorite form of transportation in Europe) we will not comment on the ports. But when you mention going back to France from Southampton, we do have a suggestion. On a couple of occasions (including this past April) we have taken cruises in Europe that called at Le Havre the day before the cruise ended in Southampton. Since DW and I really love driving around France, we simply arrange to debark the cruise a day early (in Le Havre). This is not normally a problem although it is necessary to notify the cruise line in advance (some lines require a written from and others are less formal). Le Havre is actually a pretty decent place to disembark since most of the rental car companies have offices a short taxi ride from the port, and the train station is only a short taxi ride. Getting back to France from Southampton is somewhat of a pain and can cost more then you expect (not to mention wasting most of a day).

Hank

Since you have ruled-out renting a car (our favorite form of transportation in Europe) we will not comment on the ports. But when you mention going back to France from Southampton, we do have a suggestion. On a couple of occasions (including this past April) we have taken cruises in Europe that called at Le Havre the day before the cruise ended in Southampton. Since DW and I really love driving around France, we simply arrange to debark the cruise a day early (in Le Havre). This is not normally a problem although it is necessary to notify the cruise line in advance (some lines require a written from and others are less formal). Le Havre is actually a pretty decent place to disembark since most of the rental car companies have offices a short taxi ride from the port, and the train station is only a short taxi ride. Getting back to France from Southampton is somewhat of a pain and can cost more then you expect (not to mention wasting most of a day).

Hank

Actually have mulled exiting in St. Malo (last port before Southhampton). It is a tender port, so that might complicate things. Cruise is only 7 days, we'll be leveraging a longer trip off the included air included in cost. Ferry from Portsmouth didn't look to be too expensive. I will have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages (Atlantic ports might be more iffy due to weather). St. Malo also doesn't appear to have great public transportation options for getting to a larger city in which we could pick up a car for the land portion.

I haven't ruled out rentals for the cruise..in fact I was checking the cost of automatics in Brest yesterday. It's just twice on land trips we have reserved automatics only to be told they are gone....but given an upgrade to a Mercedes with a manual. Got ourselves in a real jam in the middle of the night in Tuscany that even some Italians that wandered by had difficulties getting the car out of without rolling it into a brick wall. :eek:

You are right that St Malo has its share of logistical issues. A one-way rental car might work (both Europcar and Hertz often have good deals on one-way rentals within France). But some cruise lines might not allow you an early debarkation due to tendering...so you need to inquire of your cruise line. And tender ports always carry an increased risk of missing the port (because of weather) so one should have a "Plan B" just in case.

As to automatics, we (DW and I) love to drive sticks so we never spend all that extra money trying to get an automatic in Europe. In fact, there are some rental car agencies that simply have no automatics. But Hertz can usually accommodate a request for an automatic...although we have seen prices which can range as much as double when compared to a stick. We used to tell folks to learn to drive a manual...but that is now becoming difficult in the USA since they are hard to find.

Hank

Thanks Hank.

Le Verdun seems to be the real problem port. Even a car rental is an issue - I know there was much gnashing of teeth among the Celebrity immersive wine cruisers a few years ago. What towns would be on the hit list from there? I do know there is absolutely no public transportation options from there.

And, from Brest is Quimper the best option, or is there another hidden gem? Or, is Brest good enough to stand on its own and it would not be worth to go farther afield? You are right about prices for automatics....a quick check of prices in Brest they were double that of automatics.

BTW, what's the topography like in Bordeux, Brittany and Normandy?

If people throw out their area favorites for Bordeux,Brittany and Normandy I Might be able to get better idea of relative value of the itinerary.