New to Royal and Really Nervous

keijenxs

You don't have anything to worry about. We have sailed on the Enchantment with a teen who loved the Carnival program and she had an amazing time at the RCI program as well. She actually cried on the last day because she didn't want to leave the friends she had made.

We found the two lines to be more alike than different and enjoy both. The Enchantment is a beautiful ship and we were sorry to see her leave Baltimore.

You will have a great time. Relax and enjoy!!! :D

I'm curious about this as well. I don't understand MyTime Dining for RCI. On Carnival, you were hungry you went to the dining room. With RCI it seems like there's truly not "my time", you have to make a reservation. I think that really limits the flexibility. The one time I went to the MDR on my first RCI cruise I went without a reservation and the woman looked at me like I'd slapped her across the face. Then she seated me with a group that was already halfway through their dinner and it was very awkward. It was such an awful experience that I went to the Windjammer the rest of the cruise. Can someone explain??

We don't make MTD reservations and have never had this happen to us.

We walk up and get a table. It was more difficult on Oasis, but frankly, the only thing we really disliked about that ship was the fact that everything was more difficult than "normal" (meaning normal for us) to do. The shows were rougher to get into, the dining was rougher to get into, it was generally more crowded than we were used to.

We still didn't make dinner reservations with MTD, though. No weird looks, no punishment. No self-imposed banishment to the WJ.

Ok, another question (already).

My question is about Junior Suites. We are sailing LOTS from NJ May 30. First time Royal cruisers, Platinum Carnival.

So, with Carnival, if you book a Jr. Suite, you have priority boarding. On the RCI website it "looks" like JS does not get that perk. My TA says no to Junior Suites priority boarding unless you are a CA member. But I am seeing LOTS of folks saying they got a Jr. Suite and they DID get the priority boarding.

Is there a policy about this? Yes or No? Does it "depend" on something? Do you have to be a past RCI cruiser to get priority with a Jr. Suite? Does it have to do with the departure port?

I am just considering the JS because my sister and I would probably like the extra room. We are accustomed to robes (which are so bulky to pack) and the idea of a coffee maker in room is enchanting, especially with my concern about self service beverages.......

Thanks to all the responses so far, I totally appreciate your good advice!

Thanks for all of the positive feedback. I'm just nervous about being on a different cruise line for the first time and not knowing what to expect. Also, my sons really enjoyed the children programs on Carnival and I don't want them to be disappointed.

Just go and enjoy! Cruise lines like Royal and Carnival aren't industry leaders because they give bad experiences. Just embrace that you are on another cruise and you are going to make this the best cruise you have ever been on (until your next cruise). Don't sweat the small stuff! I know you will have a great time!

Oh, and wait on comparing until you get back and have time to think about it.

Have fun!

My question is about Junior Suites. We are sailing LOTS from NJ May 30. First time Royal cruisers, Platinum Carnival.

So, with Carnival, if you book a Jr. Suite, you have priority boarding. On the RCI website it "looks" like JS does not get that perk. My TA says no to Junior Suites priority boarding unless you are a CA member. But I am seeing LOTS of folks saying they got a Jr. Suite and they DID get the priority boarding.

Is there a policy about this? Yes or No? Does it "depend" on something? Do you have to be a past RCI cruiser to get priority with a Jr. Suite? Does it have to do with the departure port?

I am just considering the JS because my sister and I would probably like the extra room. We are accustomed to robes (which are so bulky to pack) and the idea of a coffee maker in room is enchanting, especially with my concern about self service beverages.......

Junior Suites get priority check-in and boarding. When you print your SetSail pass, there will be a large circled "SUITE" printed on it that the check-in people use to route you to the priority line.

We always do My Time dining. We make reservations, bu seldom go exactly when the reservation dictates. Although, on a few cruises we've liked our table and wait staff so we ended up just always doing the same time and waiters. You can really do just about anything you want. If you go and it's really busy you may have to wait 5 or 10 minutes for a table if you want to sit alone, but if you join with others you almost always get right in quickly.

They continually start new tables and somehow manage to fill them pretty much before taking anyone's orders. I think it's kind of magic.

Tom

I'm curious about this as well. I don't understand MyTime Dining for RCI. On Carnival, you were hungry you went to the dining room. With RCI it seems like there's truly not "my time", you have to make a reservation. I think that really limits the flexibility. The one time I went to the MDR on my first RCI cruise I went without a reservation and the woman looked at me like I'd slapped her across the face. Then she seated me with a group that was already halfway through their dinner and it was very awkward. It was such an awful experience that I went to the Windjammer the rest of the cruise. Can someone explain??

We got priority boarding with a Junior Suite before, but you seldom need it. The boarding is so quick for everyone usually that priority boarding is just not really useful.

You don't get many perks with Jr. Suite except room, foot stools, and a silver card. You also get double points for C&A I think. They are really nice rooms and we use them whenever we can afford the extra. The walk in closet is wonderful and the extra room a really nice luxury.

Tom

We went on our first Carnival in March, and our first Royal Caribbean in August & September ... yes we liked it that much!

It was the Enchantment of the Seas and it was amazing! We loved it so much we went back exactly one month after our first cruise!

My family and I are past Carnival cruisers trying Royal Caribbean for the first time. I booked a Christmas cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas and I’m really nervous. I suppose a little background information would be nice :) Cruising will be I Keishawna (Kei) age 34, my husband Chris (49), sons Anthony (14) and Eric (11), Step-daughter (28) and my mother in-law. Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Also this is my step-daughters first cruise ever. Please help.

Enchantment was our first Royal cruise. 25 Royal cruises later we still remember her as a fabulous ship and a great cruise. I hope you and your family find the same. Relax and enjoy!:) ;)

We do make reservation on line for MTD for the time we THINK we would like to dine. We make them for the same time each night. If we decide to change the time we want to go to the dining room that night, sometime during the day we go to the dining room and tell the hostess that we would like to change times. Never had any issues doing it like that and we get to know the hostess which is fun.......... I do agree that Carnival's your time dining is super convenient just to be able to show up - you may get a pager telling you when the table is ready but that's not a big deal to us...........either way, we enjoy the flexibility of eating when we want to.............

One thing we love about the Enchantment is BOLERO'S lounge - great place to dance to a DJ..........miss Bolero's on our current "home ship" in Baltimore - the Grandeur...............

We love the Enchantment - the kids will really like the Bungee Cord experience............

Enjoy your cruise.........you will all have a blast!:)

Thanks for all of the positive feedback. I'm just nervous about being on a different cruise line for the first time and not knowing what to expect. Also, my sons really enjoyed the children programs on Carnival and I don't want them to be disappointed.

Keep in mind that the Enchantment is NOT one of RCI's premier ships- she is small & old, has no kid's pool, royal promenade, ice-skating shows, Flowrider surfing simulator, mini-golf,etc., so if you've been on the larger Carnival ships ( over 110,000 tons+) , then the Enchantment, at 84,000 tons and 18 years old, cannot compete IMO..I have cruised the EOS, and she's OK...but when you've cruised the Oasis, Allure, Freedom class ships, etc., it's tough to go back to such a smaller ship ( for us it was)..next time try any of the Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class ships when you have children cruising with you..Boleros nice for latin dancing..Chops great for a nice steak dinner..Schooner Bar has piano guy...What Carnival ships have you been on?

Big Al

• 2 weeks later...
1. I'm excited to see how it went. You never came back to ask any questions, so I hope you found your answers.

2. Do you make your step-daughter who is basically your age call you mom? That would rock, in a very Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure way.

I think I'll ask more questions the closer I get to my sail date. No, I don't make my step-daughter call me mom. lol

Keep in mind that the Enchantment is NOT one of RCI's premier ships- she is small & old, has no kid's pool, royal promenade, ice-skating shows, Flowrider surfing simulator, mini-golf,etc., so if you've been on the larger Carnival ships ( over 110,000 tons+) , then the Enchantment, at 84,000 tons and 18 years old, cannot compete IMO..I have cruised the EOS, and she's OK...but when you've cruised the Oasis, Allure, Freedom class ships, etc., it's tough to go back to such a smaller ship ( for us it was)..next time try any of the Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class ships when you have children cruising with you..Boleros nice for latin dancing..Chops great for a nice steak dinner..Schooner Bar has piano guy...What Carnival ships have you been on?

Big Al

You must have read my mind. If we like the Royal experience we are definitely going to try a larger ship. Thanks for the advice. We have sailed the Victory, Fantasy and Valor.

My family and I are past Carnival cruisers trying Royal Caribbean for the first time. I booked a Christmas cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas and I’m really nervous. I suppose a little background information would be nice :) Cruising will be I Keishawna (Kei) age 34, my husband Chris (49), sons Anthony (14) and Eric (11), Step-daughter (28) and my mother in-law. Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Also this is my step-daughters first cruise ever. Please help.

Go to the 'roll call' Cruise Critic area for your cruise date, and start making friends who will be on your cruise!

The new friends you'll make will comfort most of the nervousness you feel!

I'm sure many there, and here will also give you insight to exact questions you may have about your cruise, the ports, and the ship!

Have a great cruise!:)

[quote name='keijenxs']I think I'll ask more questions the closer I get to my sail date. No, I don't make my step-daughter call me mom. lol[/quote]

My bad, I thought your sail date was this past December.

You really should make her. It would be fun.