Important change to Barcelona taxi fares

We are staying at Melia Barcelona Sarria in April for one night. I've been told it's about a 20 minute taxi ride from there to the port. What should I plan for the taxi fare? Also, if you can help..the fare from the hotel to La Sagrada Familia? How far is it to walk? Thanks.

We are staying at Melia Barcelona Sarria in April for one night. I've been told it's about a 20 minute taxi ride from there to the port. What should I plan for the taxi fare? Also, if you can help..the fare from the hotel to La Sagrada Familia? How far is it to walk? Thanks.

The taxi from the hotel to the ship should be about €20-25 assuming it is a weekday after 8am. In addition you will be charged €1 for each suitcase.

A taxi from the hotel to Sagrada Familia should take about 10 minutes (depending on traffic) and should cost about €10-15. It is about a 2 mile walk - mostly along the main road Avenida Diagonal.

Edited by English_in_Spain

How far is the port to the airport? Trying to book flights. Most leave around 10:30 am. Will this cut it close or should I try to find something later? TIA for any information. It is very appreciated.

You might try BCN.travel. We've just booked them… 28 euros for 2 of us.. not

each. You determine the time they pick you up at the cruise port.

You might try BCN.travel. We've just booked them… 28 euros for 2 of us.. not

each. You determine the time they pick you up at the cruise port.

After reading your above post, I checked the BCN.travel web site and the lowest fare they quote for 2 people is 48 E.

Was your rate a promotion of some type or perhaps an error?

After reading your above post, I checked the BCN.travel web site and the lowest fare they quote for 2 people is 48 E.

Was your rate a promotion of some type or perhaps an error?

To explain the difference - BCN Travel charge €48 for a private transfer (dedicated vehicle just for your party of up to 4 people) and €28 for 2 people to share a vehicle with others.

Thank you for the quick response, it is greatly appreciated.

All my previous Europe trips have included Trans-Atlantic cruises back home and I don't know if disembarkation is handled the same in Europe as in the US.

Our cruise will be arriving in Barcelona the day before disembarkation so we can actually get off that day, but are not. On cruises like this, for the morning of disembarkation, are you still given color coded disembarkation tags and have to wait for that color to be called before getting off the ship and going thru customs? I've had some past experiences in Fort Lauderdale where we waited well over an hour past our stated disembarkation time. We always drive to Fort Lauderdale so flights are not a concern. There could easily also be a delay waiting for all those on the transfer reservation to get off, even though they have the same color code. If we could get off any time, that would be a great relief.

Would you know the number of people for a semi-private transfer? I didn't see any mention on the BCN web site.

Thank you again.

Gloria

Thank you for the quick response, it is greatly appreciated.

All my previous Europe trips have included Trans-Atlantic cruises back home and I don't know if disembarkation is handled the same in Europe as in the US.

Our cruise will be arriving in Barcelona the day before disembarkation so we can actually get off that day, but are not. On cruises like this, for the morning of disembarkation, are you still given color coded disembarkation tags and have to wait for that color to be called before getting off the ship and going thru customs? I've had some past experiences in Fort Lauderdale where we waited well over an hour past our stated disembarkation time. We always drive to Fort Lauderdale so flights are not a concern. There could easily also be a delay waiting for all those on the transfer reservation to get off, even though they have the same color code. If we could get off any time, that would be a great relief.

Would you know the number of people for a semi-private transfer? I didn't see any mention on the BCN web site.

Thank you again.

Gloria

Disembarkation in Barcelona is usually very efficient. How different times are handled is more cruise line than port dependent. Which cruise line will you be on? Can you carry your own luggage and do self disembarkation? What time is your flight?

Regarding BCN Travel semi-private transfers. From what I have seen these are usually 7-seater vans but if they have a lot of people wanting a transfer it could be a larger vehicle. I personally prefer private transfers as there is no waiting for other passengers. For me it is worth the extra cost.

Disembarkation in Barcelona is usually very efficient. How different times are handled is more cruise line than port dependent. Which cruise line will you be on? Can you carry your own luggage and do self disembarkation? What time is your flight?

Regarding BCN Travel semi-private transfers. From what I have seen these are usually 7-seater vans but if they have a lot of people wanting a transfer it could be a larger vehicle. I personally prefer private transfers as there is no waiting for other passengers. For me it is worth the extra cost.

Thanks for your very appreciated input.

We will be on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam ship.

I'm going to try and limit my luggage to a carry on and one large suitcase, not over 50 lb. My grown granddaughter is traveling with me and will have a carry on and a smaller check in. Having never done self-embarkation, I'm hesitant to do it, but it is a consideration.

To try and limit my luggage, I've already done a starter list of what I think I'll be taking! I love to dress up and always pack too much, so this is a very good exercise for me.

Our Delta flight is scheduled to depart Barcelona at 11:45 AM.

I agree with you on the private transfer. To me, peace of mind is invaluable.

Thank you again.

Gloria

I am so jealous. I love Holland America. Can you fit me in your luggage?

:D

As the ship is in port overnight there should be no risk of late arrival.

My recommendation is to book BCN Travel for a private transfer to the airport at around 8.15-8.30am and get HAL's disembarkation slot for about 8am. This should get you to the airport to check in for your flight with plenty of time to spare

Thanks for your very appreciated input.

We will be on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam ship.

I'm going to try and limit my luggage to a carry on and one large suitcase, not over 50 lb. My grown granddaughter is traveling with me and will have a carry on and a smaller check in. Having never done self-embarkation, I'm hesitant to do it, but it is a consideration.

To try and limit my luggage, I've already done a starter list of what I think I'll be taking! I love to dress up and always pack too much, so this is a very good exercise for me.

Our Delta flight is scheduled to depart Barcelona at 11:45 AM.

I agree with you on the private transfer. To me, peace of mind is invaluable.

Thank you again.

Gloria

Our flight leaves at 11:40 AM, and we've booked a pickup for 8 AM, and being a Sunday, there hopefully should not be much traffic. We've done the 28 Euro

last yr. from BCN, and didn't have a problem with waiting at all. Whichever

you decide on, I'd recommend BCN.travel in a heartbeat.

Enjoy your cruise!

Roddon, thank you for that information. We will be flying out of Barcelona on Friday, July 3. I'm going to book BCN for private transfer, just for my piece of mind. If my granddaughter didn't have to get back for work/school obligations, I really wouldn't mind missing my flight and staying longer! 8 AM is probably a good time for us. Are there a variety of shops at the airport? I love bringing back gifts and wine but this flying back home is a real bummer, but I still enjoy looking.

Carol - okay, I peeked at your profile:) . I'm going to make the Catalan Beef Stew - it sounds delicious!

My husband and I were on a previous Nieuw Amsterdam cruise (T/A) and Alicante was one of our stops - very relaxing and enjoyable place.

My last check on the Hal website shows there are still cabins available, so why don't you just book one and come along! This will be my 3rd. Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. I especially love their Tamarind restaurant and wish they had it on all their ships.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a local, non-touristy restaurant to go to for tapas and perhaps dinner? Our last visit we ate on Las Ramblas - very disappointing - so this time I want to be prepared where to go.

Thank you all again! Your responses have given me a really good comfort zone.

Gloria

Roddon, thank you for that information. We will be flying out of Barcelona on Friday, July 3. I'm going to book BCN for private transfer, just for my piece of mind. If my granddaughter didn't have to get back for work/school obligations, I really wouldn't mind missing my flight and staying longer! 8 AM is probably a good time for us. Are there a variety of shops at the airport? I love bringing back gifts and wine but this flying back home is a real bummer, but I still enjoy looking.

There are many, many shops at the airport… just not too sure what time they would open in the AM. Our last flight out of BCN was early PM, so they did get a good bit of our "left over euros"… This is a very clean, lovely airport….

compared to a few others we've flown out of.

]

• 1 month later...
While as consumers we like to look at the actual costs related to the services we purchase, such as petrol, what we are really paying for here is the wait times that the taxi drivers face at both the Barcelona El Prat Airport and at the port.

Taxis are often lined up for hours to get these lucrative fares. I am amazed always at the sea of little green lights of waiting taxis as the ships sail into port.

I think the 39 euro fixed price is better for passengers planning and comparison as the taxi option always represented too much of a variable for cruise passengers and left them open for possible abuse.

In related transport news:

Aerobus has not reported any increase from 5.90 euro for airport transfer.

Moventis has not reported any increase yet for 2015 for the T3 port bus from 2 euro single.

The TMB has raised single journeys on public transport to 2.15 euros.

This means the budget airport transfer comparison option is currently

Blue T3 port bus at 2 euro.

D20 blue city bus with reasonable baggage allowed from Les Drassanes / Parallel to Plaza Espana for 2.15

Aerobus A1 or A2 to terminal 1 or 2 for 5.90

This budget option currently comes to 10.05 euro per person with the added 'hassle' of 2 fairly easy baggage movements between busses.

http://www.tmb.cat/en/acces-port

Where do we take the buses from the cruiseport? First time disembarking in Barcelona. Are they express buses directly to the airport? How long does it take.

Where do we take the buses from the cruiseport? First time disembarking in Barcelona. Are they express buses directly to the airport? How long does it take.

There is no direct bus from the cruise port to the airport. A mentioned in the post you quoted you would need to -

Firstly get a Blue T3 port bus at €2 from the port terminal to the Columbus Monument.

Then walk over the road to Les Drassanes / Avenue del Parallel and catch a D20 blue city bus to Plaça de Catalunya for €2.15.

Then catch the Aerobus A1 or A2 from Plaça de Catalunya to terminal 1 or 2 for €5.90 (http://www.aerobusbcn.com/)

Edited by insanemagnet

Carol, it is so great to see ur posts again...please please come back to the forum and answer questions...your info is so appreciated!!!!

Carol is a spain expert for those of you who do not know. She really helped me and many others plan the perfect trip a couple years about!!

Carol, it is so great to see ur posts again...please please come back to the forum and answer questions...your info is so appreciated!!!!

Carol is a spain expert for those of you who do not know. She really helped me and many others plan the perfect trip a couple years about!!

Thank you for those kind words.

Now that I have my own Barcelona forum I don't have as much time to answer questions on here as I used to.

I come here occasionally and try to answer questions when they are more of a factual nature (especially if no one else is able to answer or someone gives incorrect or out of date information) but I try not to get into discussions about the pros and cons, or recommendations for, various hotels or restaurants.

• 2 months later...

We are a party of 4 arriving June 27 day before cruise staying at Sercotel Amistar Art Hotel (Avda. Roma 93 - 95 | 08029 Barcelona) Whatshould the fare be for 4 passengers with lugguge (4 suitcases + 2 carry on ) Do you recommend an airport shuttle service?

We are a party of 4 arriving June 27 day before cruise staying at Sercotel Amistar Art Hotel (Avda. Roma 93 - 95 | 08029 Barcelona) Whatshould the fare be for 4 passengers with lugguge (4 suitcases + 2 carry on ) Do you recommend an airport shuttle service?

If you are talking about June 27th this year that is a Saturday.

A taxi from the airport to the hotel on a Saturday (assuming after 8am) would be about €30-35. A taxi to the port (Sunday) would be about €20-25.

A standard sized taxi would be a bit small for 4 people with 4 suitcases. There are larger vehicles but you may have to wait a little longer for one of these.

A private transfer from the airport would be about €50 (€70 for a larger vehicle). They usually charge about the same to the cruise port although if you use the same company for both journeys you may be able to negotiate a cheaper rate. I use BCN Travel and have always been pleased with them.

A shuttle would be about €10-12 per person - so about €40-50 in total for your group. I never like shuttle services as you often have to wait for other passengers and then have to stop off at various points.

It is also possible to take the Aerobus to Plaça Universitat for €5.90 per person then a taxi for about €10 to your hotel.

There is also a train to Sants station for €4.10 per person. Again a taxi to the hotel would be about €10.

If you don't mind walking it is only about 1km from either the bus or the train to the hotel but bear in mind you will probably not know exactly where your hotel is.

We're staying at the AC Hotel Sants as we are taking the train in from MAD and figured this would be the easiest. Any idea what the taxi fare would be to the port from the hotel or train station? I don't see a flat rate from Sants, only a 2.1E surcharge exiting the train station. Thanks.

We're staying at the AC Hotel Sants as we are taking the train in from MAD and figured this would be the easiest. Any idea what the taxi fare would be to the port from the hotel or train station? I don't see a flat rate from Sants, only a 2.1E surcharge exiting the train station. Thanks.

There isn't a flat rate from Sants to the port. It will be a metered fare. On a weekday after 8am it will be about €15-20.