Int'l Driver's License for Santorini?

We are planning to rent a car on Santorini in Sept. & were advised by the rental company that a "valid license from our country" would be fine, and that an IDL is not required.

Hertz and EuropeCar advise that an Int'l license is required by law in Santorini.

http://www.santorini.com says that an International or National License is required (I presume a National license means a Greek one?)

Just wondered if you did or did not take an IDL with you?

thanks,

We used Tony's and had no problems at all getting an automatic car. Granted we were there off season. I have read on this thread that someone had a problem with getting an automatic (Tony promised one but didn't have it when they get there). Frankly I was surprised to hear that because our rental went so flawlessly, but even the best places have their bad days, I guess.

I've posted a few times about car rentals in Santorini but one thing I keep forgetting (I guess this could apply anywhere) is that as we went over the car with Tony, we took digital photos of the car, including the license plate. Not only to protect our interests when turning the car back, but in case we forgot where the car was parked or there were many of the same type car, we could identify ours. We also took photos when turning it back in. With digital cameras it's so easy to document these things. :D

I received a response back from Tony's and he advised that if your driver's license is in English, it will be fine and an IDL is not required. Since our reservation is with him, we'll go with our Canadian licenses. But Hertz, Europecar and some others require the IDL.

Archived