Cruisecare Insurance not for Canadian Resdience

trev71

I know i been putting this off forever, and hearing a story about a friend of a friend missing a trip abd losing out on their money, made me think i better get something now. But I wanted to sign up for the Cruisecare insurance. But when I called today it said it was not for Canadian Residences but I combed over that whole fourm and havent seen it ? Maybe I am missing it. Anyone else know the truth ?

During my first trip (2008 Liberty of the Seas) a friend decided that he had time to sit down for a Subway sandwich in Washington-Dulles. When we got to the gate for departure, the plane was already boarded but the ramp attendant felt like being a diva and ripping up our tickets in front of us.

I immediately called TD and asked about trip insurance as we weren't sure if we'd be able to make it to Miami prior to sail away. The agent told me that if my trip was disrupted, I'd be compensated. Even after telling them the situation we were in, by purchasing the insurance I'd be covered (which surprised me). I bought it over the phone while in the airport but was fortunate enough to make the standby list for the last flight to Miami.

I was so overjoyed, I tipped the flight attendant $5 for a couple beers split between my buddy and I and they returned with a full meal and more beers on the house because of the tip.

I know i been putting this off forever, and hearing a story about a friend of a friend missing a trip abd losing out on their money, made me think i better get something now. But I wanted to sign up for the Cruisecare insurance. But when I called today it said it was not for Canadian Residences but I combed over that whole fourm and havent seen it ? Maybe I am missing it. Anyone else know the truth ?

Canadian residents can obtain CruiseCare directly through the Royal Caribbean desk at Aon at 800-453-4022. Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks, I guess the Rep at Royal was wrong you can get this service in Canada

There is alot of loop holes and rules though. I already have my flights insurance threw our CC. I might royal (roll) the dice and just buy health insurance :D

Edited by trev71

Using cruiseline insurance is not worth it for Canadians. There are many polices you can buy in Canada that will be much better.

You will have to jump through numerous hoops to get Cruiseline insurance and you'll find it isn't good enough anyway.

Thanks, I guess the Rep at Royal was wrong you can get this service in Canada

There is alot of loop holes and rules though. I already have my flights insurance threw our CC. I might royal (roll) the dice and just buy health insurance :D

I would just call Blue cross here in NB and get medical ins. They have it at really good rates for just medical. It is the trip interruption that will cost you but you already have it through your CC. We have had to use it and Blue Cross was very easy to deal with.

I would just call Blue cross here in NB and get medical ins. They have it at really good rates for just medical. It is the trip interruption that will cost you but you already have it through your CC. We have had to use it and Blue Cross was very easy to deal with.

That is what i am going to do. So much easier, I am down between them and CAA and both rates are very simular only a dollar between them two. I just have to go up there some day this week to sign up for it

Plus the cruiseline one wants me to send a us dollar certifited cheque to them. That just makes it even more of a pain in the butt

Edited by trev71

Just an FYI some places will not accept insurance. Nassau is one of them ( we found out when I broke my collar bone) they want to be paid up front. We got all the money back from the insurance company when we got back. We always make sure to have a good limit on our travel CC now.

Just an FYI some places will not accept insurance. Nassau is one of them ( we found out when I broke my collar bone) they want to be paid up front. We got all the money back from the insurance company when we got back. We always make sure to have a good limit on our travel CC now.

That is a good tip, also always good to have a back up credit card as well. My wife and I each have our own and I have a back up one I use once in a while. Id never travel without two cards. I always worry one will get cancelled. That happened to my mom once.

Edited by trev71

Definitely don't buy the cruiseline insurance.

We (Cdn's) can get better / do better. I'm not sure about Blue Cross, but I always buy RBC Travel Insurance -- and I buy an annual policy rather than the 'per trip/ number of day' policy as it covers you for any time you are out of province.