Help - Sunscreen / bug spray

Crusin' & Chillin'

Hello all! We have not cruised in the Caribbean in over 14 years! I am in need of some great recommendations for biodegradable sunscreen (THAT WORK) and bug sprays! We plan to do a dolphin excursion and I know that they all say biodegradable sunscreen is a must! Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I've used both Coppertone and Neutragena oil free sun screens that work in various SPF #"s. I would guess there are others. I'm not sure of the need for bug spray while in the water with dolphins. For outdoor activities, DEET sprays are a plus.

Edited by evandbob

Please don't put DEET on and get in the water.

Oil free doesn't mean it's biodegradable. And biodegradable doesn't always mean it's coral friendly either. Coral Safe and Kiss My Face (available at Target) both make good products. Please people..if an excursion into the local ecosystem calls for enviro-friendly products, don't be lazy. There's a REASON they don't want regular sunscreens used; they are damaging the coral. Baby susncreen, oil free, low UV screens...they are all just as damaging to coral.

Another option for both bugs and sun is UPF clothing. I have a dive shirt that I bought realtively cheap on ebay that proctects from the sun and chaffing but also provides added protection from bugs.

the only time we've needed bug spray was in Belize when touring the ruins. I am a literal bug magnet and Belize was the only place I've been bitten.

They also have the bug spray personal fans as well as bracelets so you are not putting anything on your skin.

For those occasions when you might need sunblock AND insect repellant, try Bullfrog. Bullfrog combines sunscreen with insect repellant in one spray. It's usually right next to the Coppertone and other sunscreen lotions.;)

I worked in pharmacy for years. Bullfrog is the BEST sunscreen out there especially if you need waterproof. My daughter is a very light skinned red head and burns very easily. On our caribbean cruise last year we sprayed her with Bullfrog before we left our cabin in the morning and she never burned. We MAY have reapplied once during the day, after being in the water but that was it.