New to river cruising... need lots of help!

cayugashue

Do airlines commission TAs?

How well do the big internet TAs respond when there is an airline snafu . . . strike or natural disaster that affects your flights?

We have experienced travel problems on river cruises. Airline issues were resolved for us by the river cruise company. Rebooked, and printed all documents for us, when there was a strike that grounded Lufthansa. No work at all on our part. And the hotel director made calls to our pick up person informing them of the change in arrival time.

That has been my experience as well, CPT....and we had the exct same experience with Lufthansa. Nothing on my part. LH handled everything from rebooking to hotel, meals and luggage transfer. The only thing I had to do on my own was stop in the gift shop and buy a tee shirt to wear to bed! And we were put in a wonderful room with a view and every amenity.

I always book my airline arrangements separately from the cruise. You were fortunate that your airline problem was straightened out. If you read the cruise air board you will find nightmare stories of those who used the cruise line to make arrangements. For example if you get to the airport and find that your flight is cancelled due to mechanical difficulties, cruise air passengers are considered "group" fare passengers and are the lowest on the hierarchy to be assisted. There are other things to be aware of also which can be learned by reading the large sticky on the cruise air board

I usually make my airline arrangements with Vantage. I have NEVER had a problem with being treated as a "group" fare, nor have I ever felt that I was low man on the totem pole. I know there are people who have had problems with air, and I have had my share of them as well, but I really cannot fault the way the airlines and Vantage have handled them. I have gotten to the airport and had flights delayed and been treated the same as everyone else. Perhaps flying from JFK makes it easier for problems to be handled because there are so many alternatives, but you cannot blame things like that on the person who sold your ticket. One thing I will add is that people who buy tickets from consolidators MAY be treated as second class by the airlines because the consolidator buys in bulk at a lower price and resells the tickets, which lessens the airlines profit....but I think that's a separate issue from what we're talking about here. It all boils down to what makes you most comfortable. We all love to travel and it can be stressful on a perfect day.....whichever works best for you is what you do.

At this point, I prefer having a company that buys a lot of flights advocate for me with the various airlines than have to navigate an unfamiliar situation myself where English may not be the best language to use. It doesn't hurt that the river cruise company has always charged me less for the flights than I could do myself for a similar routing is an added plus.

At this point, I prefer having a company that buys a lot of flights advocate for me with the various airlines than have to navigate an unfamiliar situation myself where English may not be the best language to use. It doesn't hurt that the river cruise company has always charged me less for the flights than I could do myself for a similar routing is an added plus.

Yes there's that too...I have checked and found that I could not beat Vantage air...except for next trip coming up...flying from LGA to Vancouver on Air Canada I saved about $300....BUT I've been to Vancouver before...I speak the same language and I've flown AC before. At this point in my life, like you, the less stress the better! :D

• 2 weeks later...
I worked for an airline for several years, and I can say that a pax fare grade was never a consideration in the rebooking/assisting process, other than finding seats in the correct cabin.

Good to hear...back in the day when TWA was still flying I got to talking to the cabin attendant about fare structure...I told her that we had purchased out tickets through a consolidator and she told me that I got a really good deal and that she hoped I had no trouble with my return flight because since I didn't purchase my ticket from TWA if there was a cancellation people who purchased from consolidators were at the bottom of the list for rebooking! Now I know TWA was involved in a law suit at the time against consolidators who would buy a large amount of tickets at a discount from TWA and then sell them at those discounted prices, which were often really cheap!! Of course, TWA is gone, but that story has stayed with me and I've never dealt with a consolidator again! My current experience however, has been as your described.

I just assisted the pax that was in front of me. I don't know how you could separate the line of people by fare. First come, first served! :D When I worked at the airport, TWA was still in business. It has been a while since I left. I did enjoy that job!