Rockaoke

chuckvwinner

I have a buddy that I’ve been trying to convince to go on a cruise with us. We were Jarheads together, so his nightmares are fraught with long hours of KP duty and tiny racks. However, he loves to sing Karaoke. More specifically, he loves the newest fad where you sing to an actual band called Rockaoke (I think he secretly wants to be a rock star.)

A light went off in my head when I saw that the Quantum of the Seas has Rockaoke, and I think I have my hook. However, I think that may be too much ship for a first time cruiser. What I mean by that is it would be like having a supermodel for your first girlfriend. It sets your expectations too high. I want to ease him into cruising. There’s plenty of time to become a cruise snob later on. Not that people on Quantum are snobs, but it is a supermodel of a ship.

It seems like Karaoke on a cruise is usually done by some junior staffer from the Cruise Director’s staff that doesn’t want to be there and they’re just waiting for their big break to do the Not So Newly Wed Game. Does anyone know of any other ships that do Rockaoke or have really good Karaoke? This could very well save him from a life of boring land based vacations.

Does anyone know of any other ships that do Rockaoke or have really good Karaoke? This could very well save him from a life of boring land based vacations.

We will be on the Quantum departing 01/11. My DW loves to sing karaoke and is quite talented at it, especially if she know the words. Carnival has a decent karaoke but Celebrity (solstice class) has the best, according to her. We have been on the Equinox and the Eclipse and both of the "DJ's" seem to get into the act and enjoy it.

We hope that you are right about the rockaoke on the Quantum. It sounds like a good time. Your buddy would most likely have a blast on most cruise ships especially since he's never been on one.

Tom

WE have been on Carnival ships that have the band playing with Karaoke singers. However they don't play every night only once or twice a cruise even though there is Karaoke every night. Sometimes there's Karaoke in the afternoon as well as at night.

We will be on the Quantum departing 01/11. My DW loves to sing karaoke and is quite talented at it, especially if she know the words. Carnival has a decent karaoke but Celebrity (solstice class) has the best, according to her. We have been on the Equinox and the Eclipse and both of the "DJ's" seem to get into the act and enjoy it.

We hope that you are right about the rockaoke on the Quantum. It sounds like a good time. Your buddy would most likely have a blast on most cruise ships especially since he's never been on one.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I’m interested to hear what you have to say about Quantum. The 270 Theater and Rock Hall look really cool.

Chuck

WE have been on Carnival ships that have the band playing with Karaoke singers. However they don't play every night only once or twice a cruise even though there is Karaoke every night. Sometimes there's Karaoke in the afternoon as well as at night.

Bonnie

Do you remember which ships had it and what they called it? I could search through some Good Times to see what days and which sailings they have it. Thanks for the help.

Chuck

We were on the Carnival Sensation in January of 2014 and they offered it....like the other poster advised, it was not offered every night. It was a lot of fun and the band was awesome, they seemed to enjoy the performances a lot! :)

Right now I'm at work but when I get home I'll check the fun times to see exactly what it was called...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by ajk911pd

Superstar Live Karaoke is what it was called on Carnival Sensation. This was the one with the live band. It lasted 90 mins and was not offered every day. I really enjoyed it!

Regular karaoke was called Karaoke Awesome with Rodrigo. This was traditional karaoke with a pre-recorded track (not a live band). It lasted anywhere from 1 hour to 10pm-wee hours...and was offered several times a day.

Hope this helps.

We were on the Carnival Sensation in January of 2014 and they offered it....like the other poster advised, it was not offered every night. It was a lot of fun and the band was awesome, they seemed to enjoy the performances a lot! :)

Right now I'm at work but when I get home I'll check the fun times to see exactly what it was called...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad that I could help!

I know exactly what you mean about starting out with a basic cruise then working your way up to the latest and greatest. If you start out with WOW it can create future expectations that can be hard to maintain.

The Carnival Sensation trip that I mentioned (Jan 2014) was my first cruise. I actually thought it was great to be on a smaller, more manageable and to be honest more 'basic' ship. It also really made the cruise seem like a small floating family; we kept seeing the same groups of people while walking around and ended up having conversations more often than not.

It also gave me an idea of whether or not cruising was for me without spending a lot on that first cruise.

If you can, please check back in and let us know what happens :)