Help on itinerary for the Magic

Kova15

I need help deciding on what itinerary for the Magic. My husband and I are looking at these 2 options (we also have 2 kids ages 11 and 2.) My husband and I have been to Ocho Rios Jamaica and Grand Cayman before. I feel like Jamaica is ok… we went childless and climbed the falls which we would not be able to do with our 2yr old son. So I think we would do a beach day. And I LOVE Grand Cayman…. If I could live there….

With that being said:

Option 1:

Cozumel

Belize

Roatan

Option 2:

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

Montego Bay

Price is pretty equal, the only big thing is on the first itinerary we would sail over the 4th of July and I’m not sure how my 11 year old would feel about missing fireworks.

We've done both - definitely recommend Belize. We did the Cave Tubing - what can I say other than BEAUTIFUL!!

The drive was a bit (took us about 45 minutes by bus to get there, but we had great tour guides).

I loved Cayman too, but would bypass the trip just because it goes to Jamaica. Definitely not the safest of places to go (especially with a small child).

Just my 2 cents... I'm sure you'll have fun no matter where you go!

With a 2 yr old, I would do option #2. When we took our son at that age (and younger) we placed a priority on being able to get back to ship fairly easily.

Both itineraries have a tender, but the tender for GC is shorter, and GC is more family friendly. There isn't much to do in Belize if you don't book an excursion that takes you quite a bit away from the ship.

I love Jamaica but with a plan...I would never wander around there.

Sunset Beach is very nice, all inclusive for the day with nice facilities and fun for families. Also, it is very close to the cruise terminal.

I like #2, but I'd stay on the ship at Jamaica. I like Cayman, despise Jamaica.

I have done both itrneraries on thr Magic.I loved Cayman, the beach snd the water are perfect for a small child and it is very american with shopping centers and good roads.In Jamaica go to doctors beach.It is about four dollars a person to enter and there arer familys with small children.It is close to where the ship docks.There is a good resturant there.As it is s private beach it is very safe.The ship docks in Belize city where there is nothing.You have to go to the other side of the island to find something to do.We went on a boat to Geoffs Cay and there is no beachI thought the beach in Roaton was ok but the beaches in California are much better.In short the Caymen itinerary is much better with a childI I was expecting this pretty blue water in Belize but it is grey.

I have done both of these and with a two year old, I would do option 2. In belize you would be pretty hard pressed to do something easily for him.We sailed the honduras/belize trip with my ten month old last february and cozumel was fine, honduras had an awesome beach right off the ship but belize has a long tender and nothing at port. In Jamaica or Cayman, you could essentially just cab it to a beach.

We did Montego Bay-Grand Cayman-Cozumel on the Magic last April and we loved it. (We missed GC though. :() We went to a gorgeous resort in MB called Hilton Rose Hall that is PERFECT for families with kids. Gorgeous beach, water slides, lazy river, etc. There are pictures in my review, link in my signature. We are actually planning on doing a land vacation in MB so we can take our 12 and 8 year old to that resort!

Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate it very much! We were leaning towards the Belieze/Roatan itinerary but this might sway us back to the GC itinerary. I will look into Belieze a little more. To be honest I pictured the island as paradise in my head, but it sounds like that's not the case. So glad I asked!!

Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate it very much! We were leaning towards the Belieze/Roatan itinerary but this might sway us back to the GC itinerary. I will look into Belieze a little more. To be honest I pictured the island as paradise in my head, but it sounds like that's not the case. So glad I asked!!

The Belize port is on the mainland. There are no beaches there, but there are a lot of Cays close by with their own beaches and snorkeling sites. Belize is not safe if you venture out of the gated port area outside of a guided excursion.

Roatan is beautiful with its jungles and beaches. I've ventured out here without excursions each time I've been (3 times) and have felt safe each time.

I myself would suggest the Grand Cayman, Montego Bay itinerary, since I haven't been there, but that is kind of moot in your case.

I would look at excursions for each and find what appeals to you most.

Edited by nhslb46

Please don't let others' opinions of Jamaica turn you off from it. The Jamaica you think of in your head IS paradise, and it IS absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, Jamaica has a very corrupt government, which shows in the poor economic state of their people. They are desperate for money. It's rather heartbreaking. But I would never, ever stay on the ship in Jamaica. But I also wouldn't wander around. Book an excursion through Carnival or book through a reputable outside company ( we used http://www.resortforaday.com), but please don't decide you don't want to visit based on someone else's opinion...try it for yourself, you may love it! We would absolutely visit Jamaica again. Here's a couple of photos from the Hilton. If this isn't paradise, I don't know what is:

DSCN0452_zps1850bd45.jpg

DSCN0451_zps00f34e90.jpg

DSCN0450_zps85fac967.jpg

Edited by zumbagirl78

3cf10ed528e5334d43695080cdc617dd.jpgf24069dea3457a84cbfd810f37fe80bb.jpg

In Jamaica, We took a cab into town to a beach and walked back down quite a ways before catching a taxi van back to the ship. Never felt unsafe and the beach was gorgeous. Plenty of other tourists around

b89c584954d797e5889418071426c346.jpg

In grand cayman we did the same thing. Walked into town to a free beach, caught a cab back to the ship when we were done. The most amazing water I've ever seen and so many fish.

fa8fd72a82e1cf9ee5e06fd8105e5489.jpg

This is the free beach right off the ship in Roatan. Loved it with my son, very convenient.

529157de8a95f35dc65fa3ac23dec5c5.jpg

And this is the water tendering into Belize....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by coltsmama

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from #1 & I can tell you as someone who doesn't snorkel & has a husband who doesn't swim, our options in Belize were limited. I wouldn't go back if there was another option...just my personal opinion. Belize has no beaches, but Roatan & Cozumel have pretty nice ones.

I travelled to Belize with my then almost 7 y old twins and can say that its def. not a kid friendly port. I personally wouldn't do any of the excursions there until they were at least teens-to me it was a waste of a port day, but they enjoyed the tender and short walk around the pier area.....having already been to belize kid-less prior to this trip I would not venture on any tour outside those gates with my kids.

We have done both itineraries but with slightly older children. With school-age kids or above, I highly recommend option 1, but with a two-year-old, option 2 would probably be better.

For Belize, you'll need to check which excursions allow a child that young. Although it's a beautiful country, the area where you dock is a city with no beaches, so excursions are necessary with children. We all really enjoyed the River Wallace boat ride and Altun Ha ruins, but I believe the minimum age was four. I believe a family on our cruise did get permission to take a two-year-old on an excursion that just went to the ruins. Otherwise, you may be limited to the zoo, or you could split up the family and one parent do the zoo with the little one. In Roatan, we recommend a Victor Bodden private tour, which can be tailored to your family's interests. My four-year-old loved the monkey farm, and there was ziplining at the same facility for older kids.

Jamaica is another country where the primary attractions are not little-kid friendly. Our youngest was five when we climbed the falls and went horseback riding, but I wouldn't recommend doing that with a younger child. Unlike Belize, however, Jamaica also has nice beach clubs that would be easy with little kids. And Grand Cayman has a turtle farm that was a big hit with our five-year-old and our twelve-year-old. You get to stand in the water and hold baby turtles, see giant full-grown turtles, snorkel in a safe man-made lagoon with turtles and fish (there's a little beach if the two-year-old doesn't want to snorkel), swim in a pool with a slide, and take a very short nature walk. You can buy tickets online and take the local bus (a van) from the square a short distance from the pier.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

We went to Jamaica, GC, and Cozumel last August. I was almost too afraid to get off in Montego Bay due to other people's feedback/warnings. I'm SO GLAD I didn't listen. My husband and I took a taxi to one of the Sandals resorts. Our taxi driver, Dwayne, was friendly and taught us about events/places. It happened to be Jamaica's independence day and lots was happening. We experienced nothing but warmth and fun. Dwayne even picked us up when it was time to leave Sandals at the time we'd requested. I told him about all the negative feedback. He said most Jamacains wouldn't let their peers harm tourists because they know that's their main income. It's an impoverished but beautiful country!!!

I've never done these itineraries on the Magic but have been to all ports multiple times. I would choose the Cozumel, Cayman, MoBay itinerary.

(1) Cozumel is safe & fun. We were just at San Francisco beach & it was rocky & crowded. We have gone to Chen Rio & it was beautiful! We had it all to ourselves for hours. Calm water good for kids. Another option is Chankannab park. Pool, snorkeling, dolphin & sea lion shows, lots to do.

(2) Cayman is gorgeous. You can just hang out anywhere on 7 mile beach. We recently went to Royal Palms beach club & had a great time.

(3) Montego Bay has beautiful beaches too. We've been to Doctor's Cave beach many times, because it's our favorite.

As far as the other itinerary, here's why I'd pass. Belize is a tender port, hassle & it's boring if you don't book a snorkel or diving excursion. We've been disappointed multiple times. From now on, we will stay on the ship.

Roatan has beautiful beaches: Tabyana beach club, West Bay beach. It's crowded but gorgeous.

But I prefer the other itinerary personally, mainly because Belize has never been fun with kids & the port is small crowded & boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums