Best places to snorkel in Bermuda.

JoeandSheryl

Hi

What are the best places to snorkel in Bermurda ?

Thanks Joe and Sheryl:)

From my past research before our trip to Bermuda here is a list of "the best snorkelling beaches in Bermuda" in order of quality........

#1- Church Bay (south shore)

#2- Tabacco Bay (north shore)

#3 West Whale Bay (south shore)

#4 John Smith Bay (south shore)

#5 Warwick Long Bay (south shore)

All of these Bays can be located on any tourist map and are easily reached by the excellent public(bus/ferry)transportation systems. The 3 day public unlimited transporation pass is a great value and will take you all over Bermuda via bus and ferry. Bermuda is very tourist friendly in regards to getting about without signing up for expensive excursions.

Have a fun trip !!

Hi Joe and Sheryl,

Calee has given you a good list. Attached (hopefully) is a map we made to show what we did while in Bermuda including snorkeling at each beach visited. My personal favorite was Tobacco Bay-few waves so easy for a first timer. My husband and oldest loved Warwick Long Bay-I think Church Bay would be even better but we never got there! It is definitely exciting, we skipped our plans to visit the aquarium because found snorkeling so fun and wanted to do more!

detail?.dir=7c47&.dnm=29df.jpg

If the above picture does not work, I would just look up on a Bermuda map to find the places Calee mentioned, most are accessible by bus, ferry or mini bus to Tobacco Bay.

Have an awesome time and say hello to the fish for us :)

~Cheryl

The very best snorkeling in bermuda is the area between Fort st Catherines and Tobacco bay in st georges. If you are experienced at all go to Achille Bay- a little beach down a flight of stairs to the left of the fort. If you swim out to the rocks on the left and keep going you will end up in tobacco bay- with lots of little inlets and fish along the way. We've never had bad surf or currents in the area- and its pretty shallow most of the way. Tobacco is perfect only for first timers and or little kids- but head straight out to the right through the rocks. Tobacco can get really really crowded during the day when ships are in port. If you go outside the main bay you'll have a much better time. In either place please please please do not damage the reef. Every year we see obvious first timers who stop to rest and stand up on the rocks/reef. This damages the reef and will kill it over time. Most of the inside at Tobacco has been damaged because of overuse. I love snorkeling and sharing but hate the damage caused by the well meaning but not educated about reef health.

Church Bay is very good- off shore reef Although it was damaged during the Hurricane a few years back it is still very good. But the reef is off shore a little way out. Stand at the top and look down and you'll be able to spot the reef. Unfortunately if there are are storms the waves can get difficult and visibility goes down. We've had absolutley fabulous days there but some we've left after just a few minutes. Not recommended for total newbies or little kids. We've seen lots of people at Church who go in, swim around in the surf and leave disgusted. The reef is out a ways- way past any surf action.

John Smiths was very nice. Reef was smaller than Church and closer to shore less to see but easier to negotiate for swimmers who aren't as strong. Beach was beautiful very flat and even and uncrowded but no shade atl all.

One of the best snorkeling experiences we've had in Bermuda was on a JesseJames cruise. They take you to 3 spots including over 2 ship wrecks which is a very different and very neat experience for those of us who mostly do beach snorkeling. It is in the middle of the ocean which makes some nervous but they do a really great job of showing you what and how to do it and with staying with you out in the ocean.

Archived