Health Conscious Dining Options

Danni3ll3

No one has mentioned the menu selections that are indicated, by an icon, as being a Greenhouse Spa selection, for those people who wish to have a low calorie meal. I don't remember if they are still indicated in that way on the new menu.

Do any of us really need an icon to tell us a selection would be low calorie or low fat? I think most of us can determine that grilled salmon without sauce is probably a good choice for those looking to eat healthy. If something is questionable as to butter etc, our wonderful dining stewards can answer such a question same as any good waiter in a good restaurant.

Perhaps some folks are not aware fish with buttered bread crumbs probably should be avoided if counting calories? :) Ask for your fish plain with lemon.

Edited by sail7seas

The new HAL MDR menus only have three icons: Culinary Council, Vegetarian, and Sustainable Seafood. Menus from the Lido Restaurant (lunch and dinner) have no icons recommending low-calorie dishes. The MDR and "always available" menus have been combined into a single menu to save printing costs (IMHO).

The HAL salad offerings in the Lido Restaurant are excellent. Avoid the bottle dressings and use the bottles of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Depending upon the offerings, some bottled dressings are fine to use in moderation. Certainly avoid the high fat, creamy choices but a small dash of Italian dressing will not destroy a person's entire diet. Some people do not toss their salad but rather have a small bit of dressing on the side and dip their fork into the dressing to catch just a smidgeon and then put their greens/salad on their fork. It is just enough to provide some flavor.

All the suggestions above are good, and I wish your daughter (and you!) success and an enjoyable cruise. I am a confirmed HAL-ite, but one time we had reason to take a Celebrity Cruise, which was really delightful, too. One feature that Celebrity has that I've not seen on HAL is a "spa dining" place, a small area of one of the decks with a small eating area. They had very healthy food, and smaller portions, and things not available elsewhere. For example, they had poached salmon available every lunch, and wonderful plated salads. I don't know if they still have this, but it was a very peaceful place to get a healthy lunch. Wish HAL had something like that.

• 1 month later...

I lost 56 pounds in 8 months, and I took a 7 day cruise in that time. I think I put on 2 pounds, but it was easily lost the week after I got back.

Different things work for different people. Personally I like to be extra good before I travel, and when I get back, and have some extra treats on my cruise. However, I can understand some people would rather stick with the healthy diet whilst on vacation :)