Ncl epic Mediterranean cruise out of Rome with EDP - what night is the Cirque free?

You can board the Epic from Rome or Barcelona. I believe most join from Barcelona. The terms of the UDP state "Guests who chose the UDP can reserve the embarkation day performances at no additional cost."

Therefore I would assume that it is the Wednesday Rome embarkment day that we would be free. But since Barcelona is the main embarkment day, I'm not sure. .Anyone past Epic cruisers that joined in Rome know which night was the free night?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
You can board the Epic from Rome or Barcelona. I believe most join from Barcelona. The terms of the UDP state "Guests who chose the UDP can reserve the embarkation day performances at no additional cost."

Therefore I would assume that it is the Wednesday Rome embarkment day that we would be free. But since Barcelona is the main embarkment day, I'm not sure. .Anyone past Epic cruisers that joined in Rome know which night was the free night?

Important word here is additional. the terms and conditions are clear you still pay for entertainment based dining!:)

Important word here is additional. the terms and conditions are clear you still pay for entertainment based dining!:)

The word "no" is in front of the word additional. Embarkment night is free. My question is on what is considered embarkment for this cruise that embarks on 2 different days.

I cruises from Rome on the Epic last October. Cirque is free on the Barcelona port day, if you have the speciality dining package. You can book premium seats free too

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks! This answers my question. Did you reserve inline before your cruise?

Thanks! This answers my question. Did you reserve inline before your cruise?

Yes. I booked when it became available online - 90 days before embarkation.

Just so you know ... We were allowed to board as soon as we arrived at the port in Rome and it was 11:30. Ship was really quiet as many were in Rome on excursions. We were allowed straight to our cabin, got changed and headed to the pool deck. My son is 10 and he got to ride the slides continuously as there were no people waiting in line.

On disembarkation day, they want guests who disembark in Rome to do so, as early as possible!! We had a flight booked for 3pm but arrived at the airport at 9:15 (we left the cruise terminal at 08:20) Luckily we managed to get our flight time changed to an earlier flight at 11:30.

Sent from my iPhone

Yes. I booked when it became available online - 90 days before embarkation.

Just so you know ... We were allowed to board as soon as we arrived at the port in Rome and it was 11:30. Ship was really quiet as many were in Rome on excursions. We were allowed straight to our cabin, got changed and headed to the pool deck. My son is 10 and he got to ride the slides continuously as there were no people waiting in line.

On disembarkation day, they want guests who disembark in Rome to do so, as early as possible!! We had a flight booked for 3pm but arrived at the airport at 9:15 (we left the cruise terminal at 08:20) Luckily we managed to get our flight time changed to an earlier flight at 11:30.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks! We will have toured 6 days prior and are looking at our Rome embarkment day as a day to just relax. So it good to hear we can board early and ship will not be crowded. I'm hoping it will be warm enough in a May to enjoy the slides.

Thanks! We will have toured 6 days prior and are looking at our Rome embarkment day as a day to just relax. So it good to hear we can board early and ship will not be crowded. I'm hoping it will be warm enough in a May to enjoy the slides.

I really think you should read the FAQS and then speak to the office as you are going to be disappointed. We have been on Epic many times and I assure you that it will not be free. The FAQS ACTUALLY state that entertainment based dining is not included. Also logic tells you it will not be free because everyone who is booking now will be getting The Udp as a promotion. Can you imagine the riot if everyone who got in in Barcelona wanted it fee! The construction is no additional charge speak to the office. Why would NCL give it free when it sells out every show? NCL is public company to make profit for its shareholders simples!

I really think you should read the FAQS and then speak to the office as you are going to be disappointed. We have been on Epic many times and I assure you that it will not be free. The FAQS ACTUALLY state that entertainment based dining is not included. Also logic tells you it will not be free because everyone who is booking now will be getting The Udp as a promotion. Can you imagine the riot if everyone who got in in Barcelona wanted it fee! The construction is no additional charge speak to the office. Why would NCL give it free when it sells out every show? NCL is public company to make profit for its shareholders simples!

I think the OP's question is very legitimate, considering the wording of the FAQ you suggested the OP read:

Q. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. With the Ultimate Dining Package, you can dine in any specialty restaurant every night of your cruise, including our exciting Italian, Asian, Brazilian, French and signature steakhouse restaurants. On Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Epic the Ultimate Dining Package will also include dining at Spiegeltent/Illusionarium on the first sailing day only. Plus, you can enjoy 20% off the cover charge for dinner at Ocean Blue and all a la carte priced restaurants (not included in Ultimate Dining Package).

"will also include...on the first sailing day only"... The OP's first sailing day is Rome. However, Barcelona is considered by many to be the first sailing day.

Furthermore, not everyone sailing will have the UDP as a result of the current promotion. There are plenty of people who booked before the promotion began and there will be plenty of people who will book after the promotion ends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The first night in the Spiegel Tent and Illusionarium (Getaway) has been free for people with the UDP for some time now. It is possible that there are some exclusions, but the OP is quite correct that this does happen, and I doubt they will be disappointed.

The first night in the Spiegel Tent and Illusionarium (Getaway) has been free for people with the UDP for some time now. It is possible that there are some exclusions, but the OP is quite correct that this does happen, and I doubt they will be disappointed.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Entertainment-based dining and Chef’s Table are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. Reservations are not required however table availability will be guaranteed for Ultimate Dining Package guests with 24-hour advance reservation. The UDP does not include beverages. Child pricing remains as is for specialty dining. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings.

So there is a contradiction in the terms. please explain how something that is not included can be included - I suspect NCL need to clear this contradiction up but from given the promotion has now run twice there is likely to will be more people who want it than the tent can cope with. The promotion is very good and I hope I am wrong as we are booked on the EPIC twice more this year and then Escape so I get to see the show twice more "free". excellent. Mind you I am also confused - if it available on days 1 & 2 you would miss a very important benefit if you bought on day 2.

Edited by bmwman
adding some more thoughts

It definitely is free. We booked it online prior to travel, as we had the speciality dining package. It is only free on embarkation night though. As the op is embarking in Rome, their question was very valid. We wondered the same thing.

As most people board this cruise ship in Barcelona, it is classed as the embarkation port. The online booking system does not recognise the difference.

We initially tried to book Cirque for our Rome embarkation day but it kept trying to charge us. Through reading various threads on here, we soon realised it was the Barcelona port day that was free. We booked and the balance came up as £0 for the two adults with the dining package and had a charge for my son, as he did not have the dining package.

This has been a fairly recent change though. I don't think many people are aware of it yet,

Sent from my iPhone

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

So there is a contradiction in the terms. please explain how something that is not included can be included - I suspect NCL need to clear this contradiction up but from given the promotion has now run twice there is likely to will be more people who want it than the tent can cope with. The promotion is very good and I hope I am wrong as we are booked on the EPIC twice more this year and then Escape so I get to see the show twice more "free". excellent. Mind you I am also confused - if it available on days 1 & 2 you would miss a very important benefit if you bought on day 2.

As you say, there is probably a contradiction in terms, and I'm not going to waste any time explaining it. Others have posted T&Cs which apparently say it is included (although I haven't bothered reading them.

What I am going on is actual peoples experience, and that clearly shows that this show is offered for free on the first night. As I said earlier, I don't know whether this is always the case, but it certainly does happen.

Here is a couple of links to come threads:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135587&highlight=cirque+first+night

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2152418&highlight=cirque+first+night

It is all irrelevant to me as the dining package is not worth it to me, and I have never particularly wanted to go to one of the dinner shows. However, I knew from reading here that it is offered for free because it's been mentioned so many times.

We are going in May, so I'll be sure to report back my experience for the 2015 season.

We are going in May also, the 13th. I have been wondering about this dinner show too and am looking forward to boarding a nearly empty ship to relax and enjoy the pool and slides. It will seem strange boarding "in the middle" of a cruise and having so many passengers leave "in the middle" of ours. We were on the Epic in 2013 and loved her!!

I also have the Epic booked. Under 'My NCL' in the 'Exploring and Planning' section this is the wording under the option for the;

Ultimate Dining Package

Norwegian's Ultimate Dining Package allows you to dine in a specialty restaurant every night of your cruise at one special rate. Go medium-rare at Cagney’s Steakhouse. Make it al dente at our Italian restaurant, La Cucina. Or try the très délicieux options at Le Bistro. Want some entertainment on the side? Our mesmerizing Cirque Dreams® and Dinner in Spiegel Tent is included in your package the first night of your cruise. So book today and indulge away!

Cirque is indeed free on the first night for those with the UDP.

I have previously had the UDP on the Getaway and had no issues booking the first night at Illusionarium for free. This has indeed been going on for some time, it appears though not everyone was aware of it but if they check the details when booking the UDP they can clearly see it listed as an option.

Rochelle

Thanks all for the replies. We have 4 in our room and have the free UDP which applies to all 4. So that seemed like a great deal. (We were already planning on paying for the Cirque and Teppanyani.)

TSUMom - we are going on May 20th. We too are looking forward to relaxing on embarkment day while everyone else is off on their excursions. Also if for some reason I can't book the Barcelona night online beforehand (i.e. the amount they book precruise is sold out), we will be onboard to book before the Barcelona crowd arrives. I will check 90 days out to reserve, which was the purpose of this post. I want to have planned what I want so I know what to book as soon as it comes available.

• 7 months later...

I think you will find they were. The UDP only includes 20% discount on the Cirque show. There we go all sorted!

I'm rather confused why you resurrected this discussion from over six months ago, when you had already responded to my post at the time.

It is quite true that the UDP only includes a discount for Cirque now, although I thought it was a fixed price rather than a percentage discount.

Of course, that doesn't have any bearing on whether what I stated back in January was correct or now.

I'm rather confused why you resurrected this discussion from over six months ago, when you had already responded to my post at the time.

It is quite true that the UDP only includes a discount for Cirque now, although I thought it was a fixed price rather than a percentage discount.

Of course, that doesn't have any bearing on whether what I stated back in January was correct or now.

Because anyone who was to search and read would be misinformed. The free Cirque change is yet another example of the constant changes. It appears that the T&C's are more like a moving target at a fun fair these days!

we booked it on board and was 20% reduction of the $47.19 (inc VAT and Service charge). For a family it is now expensive and no night was full on our cruise.