Which ship?

njrover0216

We have finally decided to go on a Western Caribbean cruise aboard Carnival. I have only been on one other cruise and that was aboard NCL Gem, but prices are better on Carnival so we are literally jumping ship. I have found 3 ships, all sailing out of Florida to the same destinations: Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman and Isla Roatan. My question for you is which boat would you choose? Any positive or negatives? We plan on booking a balcony room and there will be myself, my husband and our two children.

Choose: Carnival Splendor, Carnival Valor, Carnival Glory

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This forum is always so helpful when making decisions!

Splendor built in 2008, refurbished in 2011 113,000 tons. Valor built in 2004, refurbished in 2011 110,000 tons. Glory built in 2003, refurbished in 2012 110,000 tons.

The Glory has many of the 2.0 upgrades that came out in 2012, including Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina, Red Frog Rum Bar, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, EA Sports Bar and Alchemy Bar. But on the other hand, the other 2 ships have the Mongolian Wok, while the Glory does not.

Between those three ships, I would choose the Glory.

Of those ships, I would choose the Splendor. Outside of the Spirit class, it is my favorite class of Carnival ship.

If you like spas, the spa on board is fantastic, with several sauna rooms and a thelasso pool.

Like others will point out, it does not have the 2.0 upgrades yet.

IMO, the ships not as important as the port you sail outta. For that reason, I'd recommend Valor or Glory outta Miami. Port Canaveral is a great facility but the sailaway is an absolute zero. Besides, if you sail this time of year, and it's much cheaper, Miami is warmer and your first/last days onboard will be much more pleasant. Miami has it all before/after the cruise. Sailaway FAR better than Canaveral. I've done that exact cruise aboard Glory outta Miami, you'll love it!

IMO, the ships not as important as the port you sail outta. For that reason, I'd recommend Valor or Glory outta Miami. Port Canaveral is a great facility but the sailaway is an absolute zero. Besides, if you sail this time of year, and it's much cheaper, Miami is warmer and your first/last days onboard will be much more pleasant. Miami has it all before/after the cruise. Sailaway FAR better than Canaveral. I've done that exact cruise aboard Glory outta Miami, you'll love it!

I disagree with this. You have to live with the ship for the week. The sailaway is just a little bit of time.

This being said, Miami is my favorite place to sail out of - and you can tack on a night in South Beach, which isn't too far from the terminal.

You also may want to think about how much it is to fly into the cities too. You have a choice between MIA and FLL for the port of Miami.

Edited by cdamion

I' d go with the Splendor simply because of the Cloud 9 Spa, with its thalassotherapy pool and thermal suites. The last time we sailed on a ship with these facilities we purchased the week pass and it was beyond awesome! It was so nice to relax every day after a long day of sightseeing. It took our cruise experience to a new level. :)

Personally, I don't think that the 2.0 "upgrades" are what they are hyped up to be. Please shoot me if I ever write on this board that my deciding factor on choosing a cruise is because the ship has a greasy burger joint, a Mexican inspired bar, and dumbed down entertainment.

IMO, the ships not as important as the port you sail outta....

Miami has it all before/after the cruise. Sailaway FAR better than Canaveral!

Although I'll agree that Miami has a "better" sail away, I wouldn't choose a 7 day cruise based on what I can see out the window during the first hour, unless it's something dramatic, like sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, and it's the primary reason for choosing a cruise.

And about the ship, I think that it's VERY important, probably more than the actual itinerary. People don't realize that they spend up to 80% of their time on the ship. It better be important!

Keep in mind: When the Valor changes home port in a few months, it will be in Port Canaveral, not Miami. There are factors you may want to consider: Air fare to Orland vs/ Ft Lauderdale or Miami - this depends on where you are flying from and what airline. Ground transportation: PC is a greater distance from Orlando (MCO) so we usually rent a car although there are shuttles available. Pre/post cruise hotels are cheaper near PC.

We've cruised out of all 3 ports and flown to all 3 airports, each has their own pluses and minuses We can have a great experience in any of them.

Our #1 favorite is flying to FLL and cruising from Port Everglades - just a short taxi ride between the two, plenty of hotels to choose from that are conveniently located near restaurants, love riding on the water taxi.....oh, I think I need to go soon...

Personally, I don't think that the 2.0 "upgrades" are what they are hyped up to be. Please shoot me if I ever write on this board that my deciding factor on choosing a cruise is because the ship has a greasy burger joint, a Mexican inspired bar, and dumbed down entertainment.

I enjoyed the 2.0 upgrades when I cruised on the Breeze 2 years ago and the reason I chose our upcoming Freedom cruise is because after it's recent refurbishment, the Alchemy Bar was installed. We thoroughly enjoyed the Molecular Bar on the Celebrity Silhouette, and we're looking forward to see how the Alchemy Bar stacks up against it. I'm sure that the Molecular Bar is better, but for cruising on an economical line like Carnival, the Alchemy Bar seems like a nice upgraded touch compared to the other bars on board.

Will fully agree with you about the playlist shows, even though my opinion is solely based on all of the negative reviews on here. We stayed at the piano bar most nights listening to Ron Pass on the Breeze and went to the comedy club another night as well, instead of the playlist production stuff.

I can only comment for the ship I have been on and that is the Glory

I loved the Glory, easy to navigate, nice sized ship, never seemed crowded, staff were lovely (although as I know staff on board are rotated, so cannot really be a pure indication of what ship to choose) we are going on it again this year in March :) and I am really looking forward to it!

However if you do what we do and drive to the nearest airport to return a car rental and get the shuttle from the airport to the port this could be a factor.

I have sailed from Miami, Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale ... the drive to Miami and Fort Lauderdale can be a pain and so if this is a factor in your decision making you may want to consider this.

Ive been on the Glory twice. Its a nice ship, but not a fan of the 2.0 upgrades. I will let you know about the Valor because I sail on her in 2 weeks. But I hear its an awesome ship! I want to try the Splendor too.

That's a tough choice, but the western itinerary is fun. Isla Roatan is one of my favorite places in the world. Go to West Bay Beach, its magical!

Enjoy your cruise, whichever you choose!

Not fond of Fantasy Class ships so I'd pick Glory. ;)

LuLu

All 3 choices are Conquest Class ships weighing at least 110,000 tons. Edit: The 8 Fantasy Class ships are Ecstasy, Elation, Fantasy, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Paradise and Sensation. Edited by SNJCruisers