Pax/Crew Ratios

Ship cruise org lists facts about ships including passenger capacity and crew numbers. Accuracy, I would imagine varies but most information looks correct in all other areas.

Capacity number is not max capacity but based on dbbl occp and singles filled. TOTAL capacity bunk beds etc all full.

Just using Capacity which is obviously lower number.

GRANDEUR Seas pas 2020 crew 760

QUANTUM Seas pas 4180 crew 760

I am sure they will simply argue that new technology reduces staff need while allowing same service level. Personally I say NOT! No more than automating customer service call lines provide me same service as when reps just answered phones. YOUR call is important to us, no it isn't, if it was someone would have answered it!

OASIS Seas pas 5400 crew 1650

EXPLORER Sea pas 3110 crew 1180

And also remember these ships have also had staff reductions in recent years elimination wine and bar staff combining dining assistants etc. It's been the trend just as it has in most industries.

Now on recent Quantum we had 4820 passengers if I recall what the Captain said.

George in NY

I can tell you that the Quantum of the Seas is designed for 4,180 to 4,905 passengers and room to accommodate 1,500 crew members. On the inaugural sailing we had 3,557 guests but 1,646 crew members. Both numbers went down on the 12/1 sailing with jut 3,502 guests and 1,627 crew members. Obviously that is more crew than she is designed to handle and that is possible because they used passenger cabins to accommodate the extra crew members. The people listed as crew members are only the ones that walk around with Royal Caribbean IDs. It does not include any of the media or other personnel who are listed as passengers. I believe the reason for the drop in crew between the two sailings was that Sonic Odyssey was in install that first sailing so everyone involved in that got off before the second one. Much of the extended crew numbers are people their for IT as well as show roll outs.

Some of my other recent cruise numbers:

Quantum 12/1/14: 3,502 passengers - 1,627 crew (2.15 guests per crew)

Quantum 11/23/14: 3,557 passengers - 1,646 crew (2.16 guests per crew)

Grandeur 1/11/14: 1,996 passengers - 875 crew (not sure why the number was so high) (2.28 guests per crew)

Grandeur 5/17/13: 1,981 passengers - 796 crew (2.49 guests per crew)

Oasis 1/2/10: 5,680 passengers - 2,394 crew (2.37 guests per crew)

Grandeur has more crew than her crew capacity. Most ships have seen an increase in crew numbers in recent years resulting in former single occupancy crew cabins being made into doubles. This is because of all the new entertainment offerings being added which each need their own team to manage it. Think of how much Grandeur has now that she didn't have when she started. Most of the fleet is that way. I'm not sure of a ship in the fleet that would have gone down in crew numbers from when she set sail.

Edited by DEIx15x8

The bean counters really reduced the crew. I wonder what calculations they used to justify such a reduction. They don't pay these people very much, so I guess their true expense comes from the space required to house them and the fuel required to transport them and their provisions (food). Perhaps their water consumption, as well.

I believe fuel is a major expense for the cruiselines, so reducing the weight of the ship by reducing the weight of the crew and their food and water may actually have been a consideration. However, now fuel costs are going down a bit, so maybe " this changes everything" for future ships.

Edited by Loreni

I can tell you that the Quantum of the Seas is designed for 4,180 to 4,905 passengers and room to accommodate 1,500 crew members. On the inaugural sailing we had 3,557 guests but 1,646 crew members. Both numbers went down on the 12/1 sailing with jut 3,502 guests and 1,627 crew members. Obviously that is more crew than she is designed to handle and that is possible because they used passenger cabins to accommodate the extra crew members.

If those figures are true for our 12/1 sailing, someone at RCI was apparently blowing smoke somewhere when the told us upon our return

that in response to a flood of complaints they were adding 500 crew to the Quantum. That would make for 2127 crew members.

If those figures are true for our 12/1 sailing, someone at RCI was apparently blowing smoke somewhere when the told us upon our return

that in response to a flood of complaints they were adding 500 crew to the Quantum. That would make for 2127 crew members.

Sounds like someone was trying to spin something because there is no way they could do that. When I got the numbers for the 12/1 sailing I mentioned that they had gone down and commented on the film crew. That was when he explained the different types of Royal Caribbean people onboard and how some are classified as "crew" while others aren't as well as that they were over capacity and using passenger cabins. It was a rather interesting 3am discussion. That's about the only time they are empty and able to have a conversation like that.