Thomson Celebration

We are about to set off on our first cruise (and stay )to the Caribbean next month,and I have a couple of questions.

I've read that you aren't allowed to take any drinks on board with you,but I have also read that you can take on 2 bottles of wine and water and soft drinks.Not so much bothered about the wine but I will like to have water in the cabin.

Are the Thomson tours worth the money?Will lunch be included on any of them?

What is the best currency to bring for the cruise part of the trip?

I've also read that women are better wearing flat shoes on the ship (can't wear high heels anyway)but would like to wear small heels to dinner.

Any tips of where to eat in Barbados?Will be doing the Oistins fish fry on the Friday evening.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

MAGS:confused:

We had no problems taking drink/water on board either the Majesty or the Dream. Celebration/Spirit should be the same. I find small heels OK around the ship also higher ones if the seas are calm, would prefer to stay in flats but some dresses in the evening require a heel. Always wear flat sandals during the day. Hope this helps but I am sure there are others who can answer regarding this particular ship and itinerary.

The ship is cashless. You register a debit or credit card (credit card attracts a fee) at the start, and anything you spend in the shops, bars or tours goes on to a statement which you get a copy of halfway through and at the end of the cruise, although you can request one anytime from reception. A payment comes out during the cruise and at the end.

Tours are usually very good, but some find it cheaper to hire a taxi at the port. We usually do ship tours as the ship will wait for these if late back, whereas they can leave you behind if you are late back from a private tour.

Caribbean islands Celebration is going to take US$ and what you take is up to what you may want to spend on food drink and souvenirs. We usually have change from $50 per port day.

Hope this helps.

Have fun. We are doing Mayan Treasures and Pride of Panama this January, but have done your islands the last couple of years and they are brilliant.

We are about to set off on our first cruise (and stay )to the Caribbean next month,and I have a couple of questions.

I've read that you aren't allowed to take any drinks on board with you,but I have also read that you can take on 2 bottles of wine and water and soft drinks.Not so much bothered about the wine but I will like to have water in the cabin.

Are the Thomson tours worth the money?Will lunch be included on any of them?

What is the best currency to bring for the cruise part of the trip?

I've also read that women are better wearing flat shoes on the ship (can't wear high heels anyway)but would like to wear small heels to dinner.

Any tips of where to eat in Barbados?Will be doing the Oistins fish fry on the Friday evening.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

MAGS:confused:

Thomson allow you to take drinks on board for consumption in your own cabin so water won't be a problem. They sell bottled water but it's much cheaper to buy on shore.

It's easy in the Caribbean to DiY for excursions - lots of taxis/mini buses etc offering island tours and beach transfers dockside. These are much cheaper than the ship excursions - also you aren't tied into their timings either. Occasionally for some excursions it may be more convenient to do the Thomson tour (don't know if you're going to St Kitts and want to do the train ride but if so someone on our cruise tried to do it independently and it cost them more as the train company is very tied up with the cruise lines so there's no benefit doing it yourself). Best do a bit of research on what you think you'd like to do at each port then come back and ask for specific advice for each destination.

The one thing to remember though is that the ship doesn't wait if you are late! So head back to the Port in good time. If one of the Thomson organised trips is delayed then they will wait for their own excursions to get back but not independent travellers.

US$ is the best currency. Accepted in all the islands but take lots of small denomination bills and if you are in any island which uses the Eastern Caribbean dollar be sure to confirm they will give you US$ change if you haven't got the correct amount as you may end up with EC$ which you can't spend in your next destination. We've never had a problem using US$ everywhere. Guadeloupe and Martinique (?) are French Islands and the currency there is the € - when we went to Guadeloupe they were not very happy to deal in anything other than euros but I've since read they do accept $ - but perhaps just check that out if you are going there.

No problem wearing heels should you wish - it's only H&S advice especially if the ship is experiencing a bit of movement so you will be fine with small heels.

Sorry can't help with places to eat in Barbados but most beaches have bars and food is available. Perhaps someone else can suggest some places . The Oistin's fish fry sounds great.

Enjoy you cruise. :)

Thomson tours it is.Don't fancy being left behind.I was thinking of the train ride on St Kitts,so thanks for the tip.

Will buy US$ in the next week or so.

Will I need insect repellent on the ship?

Once again thanks for your replies.

MAGS :)

Thomson tours it is.Don't fancy being left behind.I was thinking of the train ride on St Kitts,so thanks for the tip.

Will buy US$ in the next week or so.

Will I need insect repellent on the ship?

Once again thanks for your replies.

MAGS :)

Hi again Mags :)

Don't be too worried about missing the ship - of course it's a worry if you do but not likely if you are sensible and build in a good margin for heading back. We are very cautious in that respect and do take Thomson excursions where we think it's advisable but almost always do our own thing in the Caribbean for beaches or island tours.

We just get off the ship early to make the most of the day then head back in good time. For example, if you're off to the beach by say 9o/c and arrange your taxi back by 2pm you will have had a decent amount of time at the beach and still have a 2/3 hour margin to have a look around the town/have a drink at a local bar/browse the markets etc knowing you can easily walk back to the ship.

Just look at the timings and make a careful note of when the ship is due to sail and judge your return to avoid a panic! The times will be in your Cruise News, the daily on board paper which tells you what's on and there will be a reminder of latest return time at the gangway as you get off to remind you. Make sure you change your watch though to ship's time if you change time zones during your cruise. I have heard of people missing the ship because they were an hour behind by their watches!

If you tell us which ports I might be able to give you some advice. Some beaches are so close by you might be able to walk (Philipsburg for example - absolutely no need to do a trip here unless you want to - great beach, lots of shops, great local market very picturesque - you can can see the beach from the ship), or take a water taxi (Grenada and Philipsburg too if you don't want to walk) or by a short taxi trip (they are plentiful). Ship beach trips are often very short so we seldom do any as we don't have enough time there for us.

Shouldn't need insect repellent on board but high % Deet insect repellent is recommended especially with this new mosquito borne infection in many Caribbean Islands. Take particular care to use if going into the interior or swampy places.

Happy planning - lots of help on here so just fire away. :)

PS. Just noticed you asked about lunch on excursions - the Destinations Guide will tell you what's included - whole day trips often do include lunch but read the info carefully to verify.

Edited by kruzseeka

Sistermags - reference paying your onboard statement.

You have the option to deposit £200.00 in cash on joining the ship rather than immediately registering a credit or debit card.

I recommend Bank of England £20 notes.

You can request a daily print out of your ongoing purchases to keep tabs on your spending - you will also get an itemised receipt each time you buy from the bar or shop.

If/when you get near to having exhausted your prepaid £200.00 credit the customer services will ask you to deposit a further cash sum or register a card to settle the final balance.

If you have any cash credit when the cruise ends it is refunded in Sterling.

I now deposit the £200.00 in cash on boarding and later register debit card to settle the difference - saves going back to customer services once they have the card details.

One piece of advice - try and avoid customer services near the end of the cruise as there is generally quite a queue of punters settling accounts or questioning charges etc.

Credit cards attract a 2.5% additional fee - so avoid if possible.

Edited by WeeCountyMan