Old liquor store inside the San Juan (Carnival) Terminal.

Bringonthesand

The Old Liquor Store inside the San Juan (Carnival ) Terminal.

I am sailing from San Juan in Febuary on the Carnival Valor and was hoping to be able to purchase liquor before I board. Can anyone tell me if the the liquor store is still open?

And yes i do know your not allowed to bring alcohol on board and that it has to be checked in if they find it...

The liquor store is still open It is situated after you check in and get your cabin key but before you pass through security. The security is manned by agents of the Port of San Juan, not Carnival employees.

We purchased several bottles of wine and others in our party purchased vodka and gin. The bottles are put in a plastic bag which you then put on the conveyor belt to pass through the x-ray machines. The security agents DO NOT confiscate any liquor. Right after the the liquor passes through the machine you pick up your belongings including the liquor and as you enter the gangway to board the ship you simply put the bags containing the liquor and put them into a backback or other carry on and simply walk onboard the ship with it.

Some of the younger people in our group had a full bar set up in their cabins

• 2 weeks later...

There's a CVS like a block away. You can see it from the pier. Leave the pier take a left and keep walking past the Marriott and señor frogs. It's right there. They have EVERTHING in there. As stated before I've seen people buy the booze at the pier go through security and simply put in in their backpacks or carry ons. Carnival has their tables set up just inside the ship to hand over your liquor. I've also seen people buy liquor at the ports the security tells them to go to tables and they just keep walking. It's pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's a CVS like a block away. You can see it from the pier. Leave the pier take a left and keep walking past the Marriott and señor frogs. It's right there. They have EVERTHING in there. As stated before I've seen people buy the booze at the pier go through security and simply put in in their backpacks or carry ons. Carnival has their tables set up just inside the ship to hand over your liquor. I've also seen people buy liquor at the ports the security tells them to go to tables and they just keep walking. It's pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

mlrack101-

Can you tell me is the CVS past the security checkpoint to get on the pier but before the security checkpoint on the ship?

• 2 weeks later...
Wow seriously you can just carry it on....awesome. Doesn't help DH much as he is a beer drinker and I like froo froo drinks but I am sure good news for some.

Kim

I have heard that people also buy beer at one of the stores in town and then slip it in a backpack or carryon and bring it onboard. Since the Old San Juan is right there and you have plenty of time before the ship sets sail a lot of people go into town and pick up some things and sight see. There is a CVS very close. I know they had wine and other items there. I also saw a Walgreens while we were walking around OSJ.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

This is old procedure. Yes there's still a liquor store located just before security check inside the terminal (there's actually two with another locate in the lower lever of the terminal before check in counter). When Carnival used to have larger ships in SJ they would locate the confiscation desk on the deck of the ship. You used to access the ship by walking on a snaking, covered gangway that had no security cameras or crew anywhere. Port security would flag bags containing suspected liquor with an orange ziptie and people would simply cut the zip-tie or hide that bag before passing by the confiscation desk. Otherwise, they would take your booze and return it during the night prior to debarkation.

Now, since the Fascination has no outside decks around the lower levels, the gangway ends right at a hull door that leads into the atrium. Due to this, the confiscation desk was relocated from the ship to just outside the port security area just a few feet from Carnival personnel. As of now, you'd have no time to either cut the ties or hide the booze since either port security will see you and signal Carnival personnel or Carnival's own will plainly see you and confiscate anyway.

You might get away with bringing on a couple of bottles of wine by getting on and off the ship a couple of times and making a few trips the Walgreens or CVS but if you time those runs too close, you might be recognized as already having brought on wine before and have your wine taken as well. Remember this is not a 4,000 passenger ship and re-boards are not as common as people might seem due to the stretched and relaxed boarding schedule.