Cruise Dubrovnik Riviera & Time @ Sveti Jakov Beach: thoughts?

I am not a fan of ship tours... but I am *considering* one for Dubrovnik. Why? Well, the other ports of call will be tour heavy (especially with ancient ruins tours). It'll be August, too. Sooo, I was looking for a laid back, beach day that would be kid friendly (one 8 year old with us) and not too walking intensive (my MIL will have enough walking with Olympia and Ephesus). Yet, we do want to see the walled city.

Cruise Dubrovnik Riviera & Time At Beach - DU90 is the ship tour I am considering. Total for 5 of us would be $300 so it would offer some savings as opposed to a private tour.

Explore Dubrovnik by sea and land and relax on a nearby beach. Take a scenic boat ride past the city's famous walls before enjoying approximately 1 hour of free time in Old Town to stroll the cobblestone streets, gaze at landmarks including Onofriou's Fountain and Sponza Palace, and shop for souvenirs. Then head to Sveti Jakov Beach, where you will have approximately 2 hours at your leisure to swim, sunbathe and visit the beach bar.

Highlights:

• Dubrovnik Boat Ride: Cruise along the Adriatic shore and approach the city walls of Old Town from the sea.

• Old Town: Enjoy approximately 1 hour of free time to shop and explore Dubrovnik's historical landmarks at your leisure.

• Sveti Jakov Beach: Spend approximately 2 hours swimming, sunbathing and visiting the beach bar at your leisure.

Has anyone been on this tour? Or this beach?

I am not a fan of ship tours... but I am *considering* one for Dubrovnik. Why? Well, the other ports of call will be tour heavy (especially with ancient ruins tours). It'll be August, too. Sooo, I was looking for a laid back, beach day that would be kid friendly (one 8 year old with us) and not too walking intensive (my MIL will have enough walking with Olympia and Ephesus). Yet, we do want to see the walled city.

Cruise Dubrovnik Riviera & Time At Beach - DU90 is the ship tour I am considering. Total for 5 of us would be $300 so it would offer some savings as opposed to a private tour.

Explore Dubrovnik by sea and land and relax on a nearby beach. Take a scenic boat ride past the city's famous walls before enjoying approximately 1 hour of free time in Old Town to stroll the cobblestone streets, gaze at landmarks including Onofriou's Fountain and Sponza Palace, and shop for souvenirs. Then head to Sveti Jakov Beach, where you will have approximately 2 hours at your leisure to swim, sunbathe and visit the beach bar.

Highlights:

• Dubrovnik Boat Ride: Cruise along the Adriatic shore and approach the city walls of Old Town from the sea.

• Old Town: Enjoy approximately 1 hour of free time to shop and explore Dubrovnik's historical landmarks at your leisure.

• Sveti Jakov Beach: Spend approximately 2 hours swimming, sunbathing and visiting the beach bar at your leisure.

Has anyone been on this tour? Or this beach?

Sveti Jakov is a small lovely beach area located outside of the city wall. You do understand that our local beaches are NOT sandy, but small pebbles. Also be prepared for steps from the road down to the beach area and the return trip up. Do not expect to find a large beach and also understand that August arrivals does mean you will have large crowds. You may want to consider visiting Banje beach which is much closer to the old part of town. Less steps and much larger but also very busy during August.

If you expect to walk the city wall, be prepared for 1,080 steps and an easy 2 hour stroll. Doing just half, the sea side, may be best and you may want to sit your less

mobile family members at one of our many cafes for a drink.

Just one short hour in the old town does not give you much time, missing all of our historical sites. You may want to do a bit more research on Dubrovnik, it is a lovely destination worth visiting leisurely.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php#.VKjQHSvF82A

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hi, rocks vs sand isn't a big deal. I grew up in FL and have had plenty of that. The beach is of interest simply because we won't have another opportunity on this trip. I have done research fyi. Do you have a specific recommendation based on my specific previous post?

I do have a private guide/driver on the back burner willing to give us a typical highlights tour.... but again, interested in doing something DIFFERENT, to avoid extensive walking for my MIL at this specific port. Again, I'm leaning toward a water-focused tour (like via Dubrovnik Shore Tours if the ship tour doesn't get good reviews) but incorporating the city in a small capacity is of interest, too. Hence my interest in the specific ship tour mentioned above. :)

Thx