Just set sail from NJ and......

mw_1970

Do you find the balcony divider at the corner of your hump balcony a pain? Is it true you can only slide one part of divider over? I wish that divider were not there. Maybe it will not ruin the view too much?? I just thought this would be like an aft wraparound which is wide open. Small thing, I guess, but one of the reasons I booked this suite was because of the balcony -- just a little disappointed once I saw pics online - your thoughts? Thanks!!

[quote name='Treacher1']Do you find the balcony divider at the corner of your hump balcony a pain? Is it true you can only slide one part of divider over? I wish that divider were not there. Maybe it will not ruin the view too much?? I just thought this would be like an aft wraparound which is wide open. Small thing, I guess, but one of the reasons I booked this suite was because of the balcony -- just a little disappointed once I saw pics online - your thoughts? Thanks!![/QUOTE]

We haven't had a balcony on our last 4 cruises. Always have an inside now and would never go back. We found we never used the balcony.

The insides on this ship are a really good size. Certainly the biggest we have ever had.

Only time I would consider a balcony now would be an Alaskan or Fjords cruise.

Love NCL as much as RCCL but Breakaway just pulled in alongside us here in Puerto Rico and it is one ugly mess of top deck. This ships top decks are beautiful and so much space for pools and passengers.

[quote name='mw_1970']We haven't had a balcony on our last 4 cruises. Always have an inside now and would never go back. We found we never used the balcony.

The insides on this ship are a really good size. Certainly the biggest we have ever had.

Only time I would consider a balcony now would be an Alaskan or Fjords cruise.[/QUOTE]

How do you like the virtual balcony? Is it working fine and do you get sound from outside, too?

Also, does your inside cabin have a full-size sofa or just the single chair?

Thanks.

[quote name='iceburg1']How do you like the virtual balcony? Is it working fine and do you get sound from outside, too?

Also, does your inside cabin have a full-size sofa or just the single chair?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Virtual balcony works fine but let's face it wouldn't miss it.

Single chair.

As I say really good sized inside (standard cabin) and loads of storage. Loads.

[quote name='mw_1970']Virtual balcony works fine but let's face it wouldn't miss it.

Single chair.

As I say really good sized inside (standard cabin) and loads of storage. Loads.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Any sound from outside available with the remote control?

[quote name='mw_1970']The digital strip mid ship deck 5 is finally on today. Looks cool.[/QUOTE]

I wish i had known about the Castillo. That sounds great. We caught an open house at la fortaleza, which was beautiful.

I happened to be on the esplanade when they turned the strip on today ! :D. My friends keep joking that every time i complain on this thread whatever it is gets fixed. No internet in my room ? Currently writing this from my couch. No mobius strip? Working this a.m. no freestyle machines ? Souvenir cups in our room today (dont know if the machines are running yet, but hey, happy to have a souvenir quantum inaugural cup ). One of my friend's seapass keeps deactivating so i promised i'd complain about it here so it stays fixed from now on. :p

[quote name='Treacher1']Do you find the balcony divider at the corner of your hump balcony a pain? Is it true you can only slide one part of divider over? I wish that divider were not there. Maybe it will not ruin the view too much?? I just thought this would be like an aft wraparound which is wide open. Small thing, I guess, but one of the reasons I booked this suite was because of the balcony -- just a little disappointed once I saw pics online - your thoughts? Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Yes, only the back half of the divider opens - it slides forward parallel to the front half, if that makes any sense.

It does break up the view a bit. It's not so bad from the long straight area, as you can still see a view forward if you look thru the open half of the divider. For me, i feel like it blocks a lot more if i want to look back when sitting in the loungers on the front part.

That said, it is very very very windy onboard, and we are thankful we can close the divider. Even when going slow and with little wind, the front area is really windy. It's a beautiful spot, but we are not using it as much as we intended due to the wind. It was great for sail in to san juan, though, and we love having the huge porthole. I think the smallish upcharge from a regular gs (i think it was maybe $300 total ) was totally worth it.

I will try to get pix from various angles for you. :)

[quote name='karmacats']Yes, only the back half of the divider opens - it slides forward parallel to the front half, if that makes any sense.

It does break up the view a bit. It's not so bad from the long straight area, as you can still see a view forward if you look thru the open half of the divider. For me, i feel like it blocks a lot more if i want to look back when sitting in the loungers on the front part.

That said, it is very very very windy onboard, and we are thankful we can close the divider. Even when going slow and with little wind, the front area is really windy. It's a beautiful spot, but we are not using it as much as we intended due to the wind. It was great for sail in to san juan, though, and we love having the huge porthole. I think the smallish upcharge from a regular gs (i think it was maybe $300 total ) was totally worth it.
I will try to get pix from various angles for you. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Karmacats. Pictures of your SG and balcony would be great. I am in an SG on deck 13 next month. How is the overhang? Do you get much sun on the deck?

You are taking good advantage of the free wifi - writing from your couch - ahhh, how nice. I usually don't even hit the internet when on vacation. I agree - I think the large porthole plus the 2 huge window/doors in the suite make it especially nice. Are you aware you get free room service in your suite?? We never use it for evening meals, but love it on port days - have breakfast delivered to avoid the crowds in the WJ. Enjoy the weather - the high in PA today was 16 - but windchill real feel is 3. We had 3 inches of snow yesterday - so we think of all of you on the beautiful new Quantum. It sounds like you are "soaking it in" and enjoying your cruise. Wish you smooth sailing and lots of good food and fun. Thanks again, you are so kind for posting this information - I would buy you a drink- ha - but you bought the package. I will also enjoy the hot chocolate when leaving Bayonne and cold. Take care!!

Picture of the digital strip. [attachment=268162:name]

Picture of one of the Dreamworks characters.
[attachment=268163:name]

Picture of SouthStar aka the glass bottom stair case.
[attachment=268164:name]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you know whether the listed arrival time in San Juan is actually the local time since Puerto Rico is 1 hour ahead of NJ time? In other words, does the ship change the time to move an hour ahead before arriving in San Juan?
Thanks.

[quote name='iceburg1']Would you know whether the listed arrival time in San Juan is actually the local time since Puerto Rico is 1 hour ahead of NJ time? In other words, does the ship change the time to move an hour ahead before arriving in San Juan?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Ship remains on ship time.

Last night was Chops.

I had mushroom soup wife had onion soup then both had Fillet Steak.

To be honest for me it was nothing spectacular and was the sort of food I would expect from RC traditional dining rooms so I would not pay extra for this again. I feel NCL do the steakhouse thing better with Cagneys.

Labadee today. Weather is beautiful.

[quote name='shaun07']How is the availability of chairs in the solarium?[/QUOTE]

As expected, sea days are difficult.

We like to go in about 5 and lie on one of the big cocoon like rattan beds for a nap.

[quote name='DKNYC']Hmmm that could be a little confusing. BTW are soda machines working today?

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yep, freestyle machines started working about midnight last night. Cups are quantum inaugural season cups instead of the regular ones.

[quote name='cookmg40']Thanks Karmacats. Pictures of your SG and balcony would be great. I am in an SG on deck 13 next month. How is the overhang? Do you get much sun on the deck?[/QUOTE]

To be honest, the overhang looks quite wide. I am aaalllll the way down on deck 7, so it's not an issue for me, but I'll be on deck 12 on anthem and think the sun might be blocked. The overhang is not so bad on the bumpouts though, i think. From the dock at labadee today i took some pics up the side of the ship so you can see the overhang.

Fwiw, i thought i'd hate being on 7 and the lifeboats would bug me, but it's been great being so close to the esplanade. I might move to a lower deck on anthem if an os opens up (which is what we're currently booked in on anthem ).

A few more random thoughts :

Still really enjoying ourselves. A friend declared it her favorite ship ever. An officer told me they are reading cruise critic and really taking comments to heart. For example, they will be adding a feature to the cruise planner for you to indicate whether you want to share a table with others. Also, rumor has it royal iq for android will be available starting next cruise (the 11th ).

[quote name='ReneFlores']I just saw a change in my Royal Caribbean cruise planner that states Devinly Decadence no longer has cost (usd 0), can anyone confirm if Devinly decadence will officially become free of charge?[/QUOTE]

Sure, I can confirm it - it's worth about as much as any one else's opinion, since no one other than RCI can confirm it (and no, shipboard employees don't count when it comes to info). And even then, the reality on the ship could be different.:cool:

Biker, who believes any info given by anyone on the Qunatum is outdated as soon as they walk off the ship as it seems RCI is changing things with every sailing. Edited by Biker19