Cruising out of Houston in March... fog??

Sandy R

We'll be cruising out of Bayport mid-March. Do we have to be concerned about fog at Hobby or Bush airports and sailing in and out of Bayport?

Also want to spend a day at Johnson Space Center. Is there a nice hotel that is mid-way between Bayport and the Space Center? Is that even do-able? If we stay near Bayport, how far is the Space Center?

Thanks for any answers.

Hi Sandy,

I live in Wisconsin, so I far from a local expert. Maybe a local or two will jump in to help with more info.

It seems fog afflicts both Bayport and Gaveston port some days. I don't know if anybody can guess whether your dates or mine might be impacted or not. my fingers are crossed that weather will be favorable during my upcoming trip (our first time sailing from Galveston; have not sailed from Bayport either).

Fog afflicting the seaports is often discussed here; airport fog is not generally mentioned. I'm sure it can happen, but probably not the major concern for cruisers.

We did visit Johnson Space Center during a visit to Texas a few years ago. we really enjoyed visiting the center, so I,d recommend you work in a visit if you can.

Both Bayport and Johnson Space Center are SE of downtown...maybe 10 miles or so apart. You should be ale to find convenient hotels. I suppose I'd look at hotels near the space center (their website or front desks can advice you the best way from airport to hotel and hotel to space center...probably taxis or shuttles). Then day of cruise a taxi or shuttle to the port.

This is a great website for finding hotels and such in that area:

www.visitbayareahouston.com

Also, the Visitors Center is a good stop for brochures and to buy discount tickets:

Discount Tickets at Visitors Center

Looking for a way to save your family money? We offer hugely popular discounted tickets to:

• Kemah Boardwalk
  • Space Center Houston
  • Schlitterban Water Park
  • Moody Gardens
  • Armand Bayou Nature Center

Just stop by our Visitors Center and pick up your tickets. Tickets can be purchased in advance. (Same-day visitation to the attraction is not necessary.)

While in our Visitors Center, pick up our Visitors Guide and information about things to do throughout Bay Area Houston!

Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Bay Area Houston Convention and Visitors Center

913 N Meyer (near the base of the Seabrook-Kemah Bridge)

Seabrook, TX 77586

281-474-9700/866-611-4688

I have cruised out of Galveston in March twice and in late February once and ALL three times we got fogged out of port as we returned to Galveston. We finally docked mid-afternoon in all three cases. Luckily, my embarkations have not been delayed. I am cruising out of Houston this March too. I'm expecting fog, but it goes with the territory around here.

I have cruised out of Galveston in March twice and in late February once and ALL three times we got fogged out of port as we returned to Galveston. We finally docked mid-afternoon in all three cases. Luckily, my embarkations have not been delayed. I am cruising out of Houston this March too. I'm expecting fog, but it goes with the territory around here.

An excellent argument for arriving the day before and leaving the day after.

Galveston has a number of excellent hotels, restaurants and places to visit.

http://www.galveston.com/default.asp

Thanks for all the info. Already coming in 2 days prior to embarkation. First day we'll arrive around 3pm - we're in L.A. so there will be a time change. We'll be visiting Johnson Space Center on 2nd day. Have to decide whether to book disembarkation flight late in the day/early evening or stay over a night. I'm thinking a late in the day or early evening flight will work better for us.

If you want to cruise and travel,

One will be subject to all the perils

of Mother Nature and her wrath.

Regardless where you may be traveling.

Make your plans .

Enjoy your cruise !

Attitude is the the difference between

an ordeal and an adventure !

Edited by ssb