Seasick!

lasvegaswojo

I get motion sick on escalators! Do the "patches" I hear about work consistently? Any other advice (other than to avoid escalators and cruise ships?) I'd hate to think I could be sick and ruin something I've only dreamed about before this. (Alaska -- Anchorage to Vancouver 9/5 -- 9/12 Sun Princess) Thanks once again!!!

I have not tried the patch, but many people find it works quite well. Other people have had some nasty side effects such as blurry vision. I guess if you want to get the patch from your Dr. you can try it before you sail to see how you react to it.

I have had sucess with Bonine (generic name Meclazine....cheaper). It lasts 24 hours with little or no side effects. I usually take mine starting the day before the cruise and continue each night before bed throughout the cruise. I don't want to take any chances on getting sick. I take it at night just in case it causes drowsiness...I just sleep it off.

My son has the electronic Relief Band and that also works wonders. If you do a google search for it you will learn how sucessful it is.

Will you get sick? Maybe, maybe not.

We are a family of four. None of us have even come close. On our first cruise DW, who gets sick saying the word took the motion sickness medication Bonine as mentioned above in the morning before we got going for the day and never had a problem. She was just being safe. But on the cruises that followed she skipped it and had no problems just like the rest of us.

But if you're concerned about it, buy some Bonine. That should do the trick. Or ask your doctor what might be appropriate for you.

Other "remedies" include Dramamine (like Bonine but makes you sleepy--- no thanks, too much to do), the patch you're talking about that's put behind the ear, wrist bands and other assorted snake oils and mirror tricks.

You will feel a slight movement which may throw you off just because on land, unless you're drunk, your living room is not floating. This will pass if you want it to as you become accustomed to it and get your "sea legs". Some people don't want to become accustomed to it and actually enjoy the "Whoa, look at me, I'm tipsy!" thing.

I get motion sick on escalators! Do the "patches" I hear about work consistently? Any other advice (other than to avoid escalators and cruise ships?) I'd hate to think I could be sick and ruin something I've only dreamed about before this. (Alaska -- Anchorage to Vancouver 9/5 -- 9/12 Sun Princess) Thanks once again!!!

Maybe this will make you feel better! :p I get "VERY LIGHTHEADED" on escalators and in elevators ... BUT (40+ cruises) never ever get the least bit seasick even in very bad conditions (18 ft.waves) when many of the crew/staff looked a bit GREEN!

We even try our best to book a cabin as high up and as forward as possible to get to get some extra "rocking & rolling"!

Try not to worry! Most folks really don't get seasick!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

WOW!!! Elevators on a cruise must be a double pain for you.

Hoping for calm seas for you!!!

I get motion sickness very easily. Can't do any type of amusement park ride including the merry-go-round without feeling quite sick afterward. Can't snorkel. Get sick just sitting by the edge of the water.

Have been on 4 cruises so far and have not had any motion sickness at all. Didn't take anything. All of my cruises have been in the Caribbean, so don't know if there would be more movement on an Alaska cruise.

I'd bring Bonine just in case.

Bonine is over the counter. They sell the generic version at Costco 100 tablets for $4.99

You can talk with your local pharmacist about meclazine. It is the same active ingredient as Bonine. It is often held by the pharmacist behind the pharmacy counter. Just ask and the pharmacist will help you. It is cheap.

I have been on several cruises and have never been seasick. I have just been lucky I guess! My best advice is to spend the first evening and day as low in the ship and toward the center as possible if you feel uncomfortable. I will sometimes notice the motion for a few hours, then have such a great time I forget about it.

I've read so often that Dramamine makes you sleepy. The original does make you sleepy. I have used Dramamine for years because I get all sorts of motion sickness. Quite a few years back they came out with a new version which is called Dramamine II. It does not make you sleepy. I hear a lot of people recommending Bonine so it must be good. I have never used it because the Dramamine II works so well for me. You know what they say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Ginger is also something that is supposed to be good for motion sickness. I haven't used that either but you can buy it in a vitamin store or that section in the supermarket. I'm sure even Walmart sells it.

I wish calm seas and wonderful times for all of us.

I also have a severe problem with motion sickness. I have tried it all, and the only thing that works for me is the patch. It makes me very dry, but I'll take this anytime rather than being sick. The only time I have experienced blurry vision is if I touch my eyes after applying the patch without washing my hands very well. You might want to try some of the other things, but I would definitely get a prescription for the patch. If you find yourself getting sick, apply a patch and go to bed for a few hours. You should be fine when you wake up.;)

Just a little warning. My sister used the patch on her very first cruise b/c she was so worried about motion sickness. She felt fine before going to bed and for some reason, found the patch was irritating to her. She took it off when she went to bed. The next day, she felt some motion. By lunch she wasn't feeling so good. She put another patch on and by 4pm she was asleep and slept for 2 days straight. By being so worried about missing her cruise for sea sickness, she missed it by over medicating herself. :o I've never had any type of motion sickness, so I have no experience with the products. I'm sure there is a warning on the patch and others that warn not to use them too frequently. Make sure you read them carefully.

BTW, she has been on 2 cruises since then and never had any problems and hasn't used anything.

I love the patch. I get extremely motion sick on most anything. I had been on a small boat on the ocean on my honeymoon 26 years ago and was ill over the side for the entire 2 hour trip, so I knew that I was likely to get seasickness. For our 10 day Hawaii cruise I used the patch and even through rough (20 ft) seas I was good. I felt the motion and if I wasn't where I could see out the windows I became a little more woozy feeling but I never got sick using the patch. A couple of times I used bonine along with the patch (at the advice of my doctor and pharmacist). I had very slight dry mouth symptoms but nothing more. One day I wasn't feeling well and realized the patch had moved and wasn't attached well. I put a new patch on and felt great within a couple of hours. My daughter used it on her first cruise and it worked well for her also (see had the added complication of pregnancy) and her doctor prescribed it. My other daughter didn't like it, said it made her throat feel like it was closing up. So I think it is a very individual reaction. I would say get it and try it. If it works for you it is GREAT!

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth. I get motion sickness sometimes just riding in the car and going up mountains in the car, and can't do any kind of "fun" rides at amusement parks, etc.I take the Bonine mentioned by others "just in case" and I have had very good experiences with it. I take it every morning, it doesn't make me sleepy at all. if I feel a little twinge later in the day I can still take another one if I need to. If you are very prone to motion sickness, I would say you might just have a little twinge of it sometimes. Depends on where you are on the ship at the time. Fortunately, I haven't had a problem so far, so I think the Bonine works very well for me, but this is the first time I'm going in a different direction, to Hawaii from L.A. instead of my usual Mexico from L.A. so I am hoping for the best. I have never used the patch because my friend did and had trouble with her balance, not while on the ship during her cruise, but for weeks after she got home.

Have a wonderful trip.

I get seasick if the sea is REALLY bad. I use the Seabands. They are elastic wrist bands with a pressure button on them. I use them whenever I get a little lightheaded feeling and that usually takes care of it. They are at the pharmacy or travel stores for about $7. I compare using them to being in a wave pool. When you have the bands on, you go up and down like in the waves, you don't really feel it, you feet just come off the bottom. Without the bands, it's like when the elevator stops and starts, you feel it in you stomach.

Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is just beautiful and you shouldn't have any rough waters because you are close to the coast and the water is smooth and the ship is going very slow.

Audia

I second the ginger pills. We used them on our cruise last fall which was quite chopping going down and coming back up. DH was a little green a couple of times so between the ginger during the day and the non-drowsy Dramamine (which still can make you a little drowsy) at night it solved the problem. Ironically, I am the seasick one and yet DH has more problems on the cruise with it.

SASHA'SMOM.

We have done Hawaii twice, crossing in both direction. When a lot of people were complaining of motion ans being seasick, We felt absolutely normal. But we did 2 cruises to Bermuda - felt sick every time, when there was not even

stormy. Go figure.

Just back from a cruise we had a room midship 8th floor. I NEVER get motion sick and woke up the first morning feeling awful. Once I could stop running to the bathroom(2 hours later) I went to medical and they said I was too far into it, and hooked me up to an IV. Then I started taking Bonine tablets , 2 every morning. It was a totally wasted day. I will never cruise with out taking those again. They have them over the counter or on my ship in the Medical waiting room. THe Dr. refused to give me a patch as she said they have too many side effects.

Good luck...

Westie 1

Although the bands work for nausea associated with chemo and for hyperemesis gravidum, they do not work for motion sickness.

In the largest controlled clinical study of the Relief Band for motion sickness published to date (n = 77), Miller and Muth (2004) examined whether acupressure and acustimulation prevent motion sickness, taking into consideration whether or not the acupressure and acustimulation are administered properly. These investigators found that neither band (the Acuband or the ReliefBand) nor placebo prevented the development of motion sickness, regardless of whether the bands were used correctly or incorrectly.

reference:

Miller KE, Muth ER. Efficacy of acupressure and acustimulation bands for the prevention of motion sickness. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2004;75(3):227-234.

I do not get motion sickness at all, exept at sea. I have been on many deep-sea fishing trips and always became sick; granted it is different on a cruise ship. On a cruise, it seems to be more long rolling motions as opposed to quick chops. That said, I could not take dramamine, as it made me really sick, on more than one occassion.

As discussed above, when we went on our first cruise, I started taking Bonine two days prior to the trip, and then once a day all throughout. It worked like a charm. I never once felt even remotely ill. If interested, any drugstore should have it readily available.

I just bought my Dramamine II less drowsy for our cruise next week. I asked the pharmacist about the Dramamine II less drowsy that I take and the Bonine that I've been reading about here. She told me that it had the same ingredients. The Dramamine II has been good to me so I'm sticking with it.

I have Verdigo, my first cruise I used the patch and when my vision got blurry I switched to the over the counter. I tried not taking anything at all, that was a big mistake. I spent four hours in the cabin trying to sleep through it. I was going from NYC to the Bahamas. I am hoping my next cruise, Ft. Lauderdale to Western Carribean, the waters will be better. I will still be taking some sort of over the counter, just to be on the safe side. By the way, I frequently have cruised around Manhattan and across the Delaware, and have never had any problem.

Archived