Just wondering - what are the chances of an upgrade?

GeorgiaMomof4

We are booked on the Paradise in February. Originally booked early saver but switched over to the OV guarantee rate back around Halloween to save $300 per cabin (3 couples going).

We are still waiting on our cabin assignments and just for fun last night I checked to see about the suite cabins still available. As far as I can tell there are still several left - so I'm wondering, what are the chances of getting upgraded from an OV to a suite with the guarantee rate?

Just wondering - I'll be happy with an OV, but boy wouldn't it be nice to be in a suite - just one time!

This every happen to anyone out there and did they just upgrade you on their own or was it an upsell instead?

The people I know that have gotten free upgrades with carnival have booked in a category that has sold out. There are a lot of people on my sunshine sailing that had booked aft oceanview on the promenade and they got upgraded to balconies because their category was sold out for a while a good time before sailing. they all upgraded and their original category is sold out again now

When we booked our first cruise 2 years ago, we booked 5 people in an interior (not guarantee) on the Paradise in February. We had no idea what to expect and we wanted cheap. We got a call at one point and were offered a grand suite for $500. We took it and it was awesome

So it does happen. Not sure if we were offered due to the amount of people or because it was our first cruise or if it was just where we fell in the call list.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Not sure about free upgrades. Maybe they happen...maybe not. Upsells are a different animal. Talked to enough folks to know they happen with some frequency. However we have been dedicated CCL cruisers for a number of years. We have received one upsell offer in 9 years. One.

That was an upsell to the Owner's Suite on the Sensation from a suite. I would be more than sure that the upsells always work in the line's favor. I would like a

few more opportunities to say no thanks.:rolleyes:

Not sure about free upgrades. Maybe they happen...maybe not. Upsells are a different animal. Talked to enough folks to know they happen with some frequency. However we have been dedicated CCL cruisers for a number of years. We have received one upsell offer in 9 years. One.

That was an upsell to the Owner's Suite on the Sensation from a suite. I would be more than sure that the upsells always work in the line's favor. I would like a

few more opportunities to say no thanks.:rolleyes:

We have gotten I believe 3 upsell offers in 25 or so cruises. Two were good offers we took and one to a suite we quickly declined

In 24 Carnival cruises have gotten one upsell offer to go from OV to Balcony at 400 pp....IIRC...on the glory out of Boston a few years ago...we have been upgraded from an OV to a balcony on Hal..but that is about it...

Booked an OV guar on a Fascination cruise this January...we'll see what we end up with...will be happy with Main deck..middle or aft....but like I said...we will see:D

The Paradise doesn't have balconies or otherwise I would have asked the chances of being upgraded from OV to a balcony. I know that would have been much more likely than OV to a suite.

I'm definitely not counting on any type of upgrade - but a girl can dream can't she?

Oh, and I rarely play the lottery either - just because of the luck (or lack thereof) that I have - LOL.

We are booked on the Paradise in February. Originally booked early saver but switched over to the OV guarantee rate back around Halloween to save $300 per cabin (3 couples going).

We are still waiting on our cabin assignments and just for fun last night I checked to see about the suite cabins still available. As far as I can tell there are still several left - so I'm wondering, what are the chances of getting upgraded from an OV to a suite with the guarantee rate?

Just wondering - I'll be happy with an OV, but boy wouldn't it be nice to be in a suite - just one time!

This every happen to anyone out there and did they just upgrade you on their own or was it an upsell instead?

Chances for a free "Upgrade" these days are slim to none....."Upsells" are CCL's new way (a $$ maker, adds to bottom line revenue for CCL).

We did receive ONE free upgrade back in the day, 2002 to be exact...our first CCL cruise. We had booked an OV on Riviera deck on Triumph midship....not one person at CCL said one word to us that we had been upgraded to a mid-ship balcony cabin on Upper deck....so we trotted off to see our cabin on the Riviera deck and the card would not open the door. After many attempts a steward saw us, came over to assist, then told us we were on the wrong deck. He took us to our new cabin on Upper deck, and voila, the card worked the door opened and we had been upgraded to a balcony cabin free of charge. Needless to say, it was a great move on behalf of CCL, as we have never stayed in a cabin below balcony ever since (they have recouped their "upsell" losses on us!!)

But you never know, it maybe could still happen!!

Chances for a free "Upgrade" these days are slim to none....."Upsells" are CCL's new way (a $$ maker, adds to bottom line revenue for CCL).

We did receive ONE free upgrade back in the day, 2002 to be exact...our first CCL cruise. We had booked an OV on Riviera deck on Triumph midship....not one person at CCL said one word to us that we had been upgraded to a mid-ship balcony cabin on Upper deck....so we trotted off to see our cabin on the Riviera deck and the card would not open the door. After many attempts a steward saw us, came over to assist, then told us we were on the wrong deck. He took us to our new cabin on Upper deck, and voila, the card worked the door opened and we had been upgraded to a balcony cabin free of charge. Needless to say, it was a great move on behalf of CCL, as we have never stayed in a cabin below balcony ever since (they have recouped their "upsell" losses on us!!)

But you never know, it maybe could still happen!!

Buddylover -

Wow - the same thing happened to us in 2004 on the Glory. It was our first cruise ever and we booked an OV also. A few weeks before sailing we discovered we had been upgraded to an balcony on the Verandah deck. Needless to say we were spoiled and continued to book balconies just like you.

I completely agree that it was a great move on Carnival's part because they recouped their money on us too for future bookings.

We have just recently gone back to booking OV. I decided in order to cruise more often I could deal with an OV and we haven't been disappointed. I do have to admit that I miss my balcony when we are coming into and leaving ports though!

We booked interior for both cruises with carnival, both times they called about a month before and offered us a balcony for $200 total...we were happy to take that offer! My hubby says to keep booking interior because they see we upgrade so he thinks they will offer every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums