Remodelling the christmas experience

davecttr

Much easier to scrap freedom dining, certainly on Aurora and Oriana. I do not think the cruisers who use those ships want it. Recently I have seen many comments about it not working as large numbers of people wanted first sitting resulting in long queues leading up to the opening time as a result the dining room is full for the next one and a half to two hours and the flexibility has gone.

Gan Canny

Dai

Good idea, differentiate their fleet further by having the traditional four club dining only and the contempory four freedom dining only, with Xmas dinner at lunchtime as it should be.

Same on oceana. I arrived at the queues 15 mins after they opened and the early sitting queue snaked around the dining room while the late sitting queue was very short.

I overheard a gentleman later saying their cruise was ruined because they could not get early sitting. I thought that was funny until I experienced late myself.

The evidence shows that p&o's Xmas dinner offerings do not match customers desires. Are you reading this p&o?

Yes I hope they are to see freedom dining does not work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good idea, differentiate their fleet further by having the traditional four club dining only and the contempory four freedom dining only, with Xmas dinner at lunchtime as it should be.

That will not work in the Caribbean as most cruisers will want to be out in the sunshine not indoors having a traditional Christmas dinner. That is why they have it in the evening.

Yes I hope they are to see freedom dining does not work.

It works perfectly well on other cruise lines ;)

ps - you see queues for first sitting club as well, sometimes snaking around the atrium.:confused:

It works perfectly well on other cruise lines ;)

ps - you see queues for first sitting club as well, sometimes snaking around the atrium.:confused:

We are talking P&O, what works with other lines will not necessarily work with P&O

We are talking P&O, what works with other lines will not necessarily work with P&O

But it seems what's happening now isn't working for P&O either. Just abolishing Freedom Dining may not be the answer either - it depends on its popularity. No doubt P&O have a measure of that, and on each ship. If there is a demand then I think it appropriate for them to be adaptable, take issues such as the queuing into account and make changes according to demand, customer feedback and practical considerations. Just because it's the P&O way doesn't mean it should never change. I think a debate such as this should help the company to provide a varied product to suit different customer bases across the fleet - and for different itineraries.

Edited by kruzseeka

But it seems what's happening now isn't working for P&O either. Just abolishing Freedom Dining may not be the answer either - it depends on its popularity. No doubt P&O have a measure of that, and on each ship. If there is a demand then I think it appropriate for them to be adaptable, take issues such as the queuing into account and make changes according to demand, customer feedback and practical considerations. Just because it's the P&O way doesn't mean it should never change. I think a debate such as this should help the company to provide a varied product to suit different customer bases across the fleet.

Only you will not do well as a company if you upset your core customer base. FD seems to work on the bigger ships because they have attracted new cruisers. The ones were the problems look as if they are happening are the more traditional ships, Aurora/Oriana. I like a bit of change, looking forward to Britannia. And I love the Glass House for example but I am not talking about me. I am only reflecting what I have heard on ships and what I read over the web.

I agree with you Dai. We are Oriana fans and we choose 1st sitting every time and are not interested in Freedom Dining. First sitting suits our dietary requirements and our evening entertainment plans and also fixed dining holds more of a sense of occasion for us.

On our recent Aurora cruise we also chose first sitting and have also done so for my next cruise on Oceana - even though the Personal Cruise Adviser heavily recommended we went for FD. Don't want it at all though.

I am keen to try all the ships - but I don't want to try Freedom Dining.

Edited by Scriv

We always have our Xmas dinner in the evening. I hate large lunches, so 8.45 as usual would be fine for us on the ship.

Us too. It seems a particular quirk of P&O passengers that they are so obsessed with early sitting they will queue 3 hours to obtain it or pay vast amounts more for their cruise to guarantee it.

But it seems what's happening now isn't working for P&O either. Just abolishing Freedom Dining may not be the answer either - it depends on its popularity. No doubt P&O have a measure of that, and on each ship. If there is a demand then I think it appropriate for them to be adaptable, take issues such as the queuing into account and make changes according to demand, customer feedback and practical considerations. Just because it's the P&O way doesn't mean it should never change. I think a debate such as this should help the company to provide a varied product to suit different customer bases across the fleet - and for different itineraries.

Spot on :)

P&O may be afraid of losing their traditional customer base but that base is dwindling every year. Hopefully they have some decent strategists at HQ to plan their course through these controversial waters. My recent experiences of P&O is that the existance of that traditional passenger base is leading to slackness and lack of ambition. Why change anything when the self loading freight are happy with what they are offered. :eek::eek:

It appears that Travel lodge have conducted some research.

The average British family now sits down for their turkey dinner at 2.45pm, despite traditionally being served earlier in the day to get ready for the Queen’s Speech

There you are P&O, as a mainstream cruise line you should take notice ;)

I am looking forward to our late Christmas Day meal next Christmas.

Only problem is we fly on 25th Dec to join Azura, so not sure how things will work.

I take it if we have booked 2nd sitting club dining we don't need to queue?

no need to queue, the queue is for freedom dining passengers as they have 2 dinner sittings on xmas day.

no need to queue, the queue is for freedom dining passengers as they have 2 dinner sittings on xmas day.

Thanks! It isn't confirmed but judging on the comments it doesn't look the popular option! Works well for us as we can have a sleep then get ready for our meal

Us too. It seems a particular quirk of P&O passengers that they are so obsessed with early sitting they will queue 3 hours to obtain it or pay vast amounts more for their cruise to guarantee it.

Yep, that's partly me - except that I would not queue 3 hours for it! There is no way I could cope with dinner at 8 45pm and especially not Christmas Dinner.

I am also one who always has Christmas Dinner early afternoon at home, but would be very happy to go with the flow and have it in the evening if on a cruise.

Yep, that's partly me - except that I would not queue 3 hours for it! There is no way I could cope with dinner at 8 45pm and especially not Christmas Dinner.

I am also one who always has Christmas Dinner early afternoon at home, but would be very happy to go with the flow and have it in the evening if on a cruise.

Maybe the answer is to have first sitting about 5pm and second at 7.30pm

Then anyone who gets "stuck" with second sitting won't find it too late.

Also I think dinner is served at 5pm in old folks homes so P&O are helping its passengers with their upcoming transition.

Now now, richleeds - we early sittings fans are still a long way off 5pm teas and old folks homes.

I think 7 30 is a great dining time though, but don't see how they could make that work with two sittings.

Maybe the answer is to have first sitting about 5pm and second at 7.30pm

Then anyone who gets "stuck" with second sitting won't find it too late.

Also I think dinner is served at 5pm in old folks homes so P&O are helping its passengers with their upcoming transition.

Ouch!

actually a lot of people have their tea at around 5ish, dinner is what you have at lunchtime.

Judging by the queue for freedom dining at 6pm, that is not early enough.

Good idea about 5pm and 7.30pm

I used to like 1st sitting, maybe because it was popular, but on my last 2 cruises have had 2nd sitting and really felt I got more out my day. Also there were rarely queues for the 10.30 show, perhaps because of the age profile on Aurora?

I've never cruised at Christmas though we're thinking of it now our daughter is grown up. We have spent Christmas in hotels though, and I really liked the full Christmas lunch at about 1.30 with just a light buffet set out in the evening; you don't feel like eating much in the evening after a good Christmas lunch. However, I can see that wouldn't work unless the crew were off duty from about 7pm and had their dinner together in the evening.

Ouch!

actually a lot of people have their tea at around 5ish, dinner is what you have at lunchtime.

Judging by the queue for freedom dining at 6pm, that is not early enough.

Good idea about 5pm and 7.30pm

Surely you have lunch at lunchtime and dinner in the evening?

There maybe some merit in the 5pm/7:30pm sittings, but I would fear that the early sitting would be undesirable and the late sitting the sitting of choice, but as you say if the 6pm freedom queue is long then maybe it would work?

Surely you have lunch at lunchtime and dinner in the evening?

There maybe some merit in the 5pm/7:30pm sittings, but I would fear that the early sitting would be undesirable and the late sitting the sitting of choice, but as you say if the 6pm freedom queue is long then maybe it would work?

It is only long because people have turned up at 5.45 and there has been a queue and they have had to wait. So the next day they go earlier. And so it goes on. Bonkers.

Clearly the majority of those cruisers would be happier with first sitting but cannot get it and so they are turning freedom dining into another first sitting which defeats the object.

I have only ever been away a couple of times on Xmas day the 1st we were in the air the 2nd we had Xmas dinner with the family then flew early evening. If I was on a cruise in the Caribbean I wouldn't want my dinner at lunch time I would want to be taking advantage of a sea day and the sun.

I also wouldn't want to be in a queue inside when I could be outside in the sun.

I would be happy with what ever time they wanted to serve me dinner in the evening just because I haven't had to slave in a kitchen for hours. Also I would be happy to dress up for dinner because usually I am in comfy clothes because I spend Xmas eve and Xmas day in the kitchen.

Maybe I am easily pleased.

I do understand that cruises where the weather is not a warm Xmas dinner could be lunch and this would suit people better. P & O are never going to please everyone but you know what is going to happen when you book the cruise - if you don't you should have done your research.

I have only ever been away a couple of times on Xmas day the 1st we were in the air the 2nd we had Xmas dinner with the family then flew early evening. If I was on a cruise in the Caribbean I wouldn't want my dinner at lunch time I would want to be taking advantage of a sea day and the sun.

I also wouldn't want to be in a queue inside when I could be outside in the sun.

I would be happy with what ever time they wanted to serve me dinner in the evening just because I haven't had to slave in a kitchen for hours. Also I would be happy to dress up for dinner because usually I am in comfy clothes because I spend Xmas eve and Xmas day in the kitchen.

Maybe I am easily pleased.

I do understand that cruises where the weather is not a warm Xmas dinner could be lunch and this would suit people better. P & O are never going to please everyone but you know what is going to happen when you book the cruise - if you don't you should have done your research.

Agree with all of that.