Do we need a Guide for sites or just driver?

lawgirl

Hello. It is our first time in Athens. Normally we prefer guided private tours in ports. However, when asking for quotes from companies in Greece, none include guided tours of sites, just a driver. To add a guide costs about double.

I know many tours come recommended (such as Private Greece Tours and PK). Is a guide in addition to the driver a good idea and worth the cost? I am hoping for your opinions as well as guide or tour recommendations. Thank you.

YMMV on how you like to sight see.

On your cruise many a year ago we had drivers in almost every port.

We found guides useful at Acropolis, Pompeii, Vatican, Ephesus, and all day in Istanbul ( just so cheap ). The common theme was each was an large / historical attraction where reading wasn't as satisfying as having a guide. If you guide share or have a large group the $ doesn't become to large.

Would definitely recommend a driver and a private guide. Drivers cannot accompany clients inside the sights. Takes a special license. I would look to join a group or start your own on your cruise roll call to share the extra expense of adding the private guide for your group. Check out TripAdviser for higher rated tour companies.