Our first cruise coming up...HELP! (Blue Hole) Montego Bay, Grand Cayman & Cozumel

Blazer25

Hello, We are taking our first family cruise. Our stops are Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I am so excited to finally get to see the Caribbean, but nervous about our ports. I know if I book an excursion through the ship, we will be safe...but at the Montego Bay port, I want to go see the Blue Hole. My concern is our safety & time.

Being that the cruise doesn't have any excursions that include a Blue Hole tour, we have to find outside guides. I have found 2 that have very high reviews on trip advisor, but I am still concerned about our travels to and from the Blue Hole...The traffic (not making it back to the ship in time) The safety of traveling outside the tourist areas (random islanders, not the tour guide) and the safety of walking through the tropical terrain (spiders, snakes, gators) Please don't think I'm being judgmental against Jamaica, but I am a mother and can't help but to question rumors about violence & safety in the area.

Is the Blue Hole a place that is just out in the middle of nowhere, or is it a park where you pay to get in, with employees?

I also have heard that the road to get there is a bit dangerous too. I am traveling with my husband and 2 teens. I would love to hear your opinions, experiences and advice.

Also, If you can think of any excursions that you recommend (or don't recommend) in Grand Cayman & Cozumel I would love to hear that too. We are looking at Grand Cayman or Cozumel to just do a "beach day" at a resort with the best views and activities for my teens. Not wanting to spend more than $200 for all of us for this excursion. We were considering Paradise Beach...but would love to hear others that you recommend.

Lastly, if you have any advice or warnings about any dangers or things "not to do" please let me know. You can call me a paranoid person...but that's okay. I am not use to being this far away from home. We have never even traveled by plane..so this will be a first for us also.

I'm open to any advice, suggestions and opinions you can give on any of these topics! Thank you!

Edited by Blazer25

Hello, We are taking our first family cruise. Our stops are Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I am so excited to finally get to see the Caribbean, but nervous about our ports. I know if I book an excursion through the ship, we will be safe...but at the Montego Bay port, I want to go see the Blue Hole. My concern is our safety & time.

Being that the cruise doesn't have any excursions that include a Blue Hole tour, we have to find outside guides. I have found 2 that have very high reviews on trip advisor, but I am still concerned about our travels to and from the Blue Hole...The traffic (not making it back to the ship in time) The safety of traveling outside the tourist areas (random islanders, not the tour guide) and the safety of walking through the tropical terrain (spiders, snakes, gators) Please don't think I'm being judgmental against Jamaica, but I am a mother and can't help but to question rumors about violence & safety in the area.

Is the Blue Hole a place that is just out in the middle of nowhere, or is it a park where you pay to get in, with employees?

I also have heard that the road to get there is a bit dangerous too. I am traveling with my husband and 2 teens. I would love to hear your opinions, experiences and advice.

Also, If you can think of any excursions that you recommend (or don't recommend) in Grand Cayman & Cozumel I would love to hear that too. We are looking at Grand Cayman or Cozumel to just do a "beach day" at a resort with the best views and activities for my teens. Not wanting to spend more than $200 for all of us for this excursion. We were considering Paradise Beach...but would love to hear others that you recommend.

Lastly, if you have any advice or warnings about any dangers or things "not to do" please let me know. You can call me a paranoid person...but that's okay. I am not use to being this far away from home. We have never even traveled by plane..so this will be a first for us also.

I'm open to any advice, suggestions and opinions you can give on any of these topics! Thank you!

I'll try to address most of your questions. We've been cruising for nearly 30 years and have been to all 3 ports many times. IMHO Jamaica is the most likely place in the Caribbean to have an issue. Most locals on any island know that if they mess with cruise passengers, the Police will come down hard on them (lots of money involved) but Jamaica has lots of very aggressive "vendors" , some that will try to sell you and your teens drugs. Since this is your first cruise, and likely not your last (they are addictive) I would do a ships excursion in Jamaica (costs more and doesn't go to Blue Hole but piece of mind is probably worth it) then do a local tour next time when you are more comfortable. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are both very safe and very easy to do on your own. Caymen has 7-mile beach which is easy and cheap to get to by local bus or taxi (lots of info on the Caymen board). Paradise beach is a very good choice in Cozumel because of the decent beach, pool and water toys that your teens will enjoy.

Hi Blazer25 - I can completely understand your concerns and comfort level. Read the forum and you will see the many successful excursions people have been on - with private tour operators.

We have been to Jamaica 5 times (via cruise ships) and once at an all-inclusive and will tell you we used private tour operators all times. We don't like the ship excursions simply because you feel like you are being herded around like cattles. The ship hires buses to transport the passengers - in other words...you will be around A LOT of people. I remembered on some excursions I took, i.e. in Alaska, Matazlan, etc...I ended up at the same excursions as those who booked through the cruise line. I read that the cruise line hires out local tour operators - thus being the middle man.

We were in Jamaica this past Dec (about a month ago). We docked in Falmouth, visited the Blue Hole and had a great time! We booked with a local tour operator. I told him safety and getting back to the ship (2 hours before) were my concerns and he did not disappoint one bit!!! His driving was very safe.

In Cozumel, we hired a driver for the day also. Awesome guy! He was so nice that he dropped off 3 in our party at the marina (for their scuba dive) and not charged them for the fare!

Let me know if you are interested and I can post the contact information for both places.

BLUE HOLE is wonderful...do it before it becomes crowded like Dunns River Falls.!

When we are in Cozumel, we go to Paradise beach. We were going before they put the pool in and continue to go, my two boys love the water toys and I usually take a kayak out. Some of the best shrimp ceviche, a must for us when we go. I have not found it overly crowded, was very worried that when they put the pool in that it would be a mad house. plenty of room and all ways a chair on the beach or by the pool.

Grand Cayman, if this is your first time I would take the trip out to the stingrays and snorkel, We took the kids last time we went and they still talk about it. I wouldn't take the ship but go independent. I think my dh and I are going to do this tour again but with two snorkel stops ($40-$45pp).

Montego Bay, still looking for something to do on our upcoming cruise. We have done Dunn Falls (15 years ago). I hope someone chimes in.

Hello Jen30. Thank you for your reply. I would like to know what tour company you used for your trip to the Blue Hole. :)

Hi Blazer25,

I forgot to ask...are your teen boys adventurous? I chatted with a mother on this forum few weeks back (coincidentally who happens to live about 10 min from me...small world!)...she was concerned about her teen son (17 years old) being "bored" - since kids nowadays seem to not be able to exist without internet. I chatted with her again after she returned from her cruise and visit to BH and she said her family LOVED BH and she was glad they ended up donig that excursion.

I know there are a lot of tour operators out there, some biggers than others. We like supporting small businesses (entrepreuers) in these countries. I would do a lot of research into tour operators each time - we want to spread our business.

One time we used a company called Di Jamaican Flava. At that time, we were Mark's first customer and now he's grown to be a reputable tour operator. We hired Mark as our driver for the day. He took us to H'evans Scent (ziplining), lunch and shopping. Mark is awesome!

Our trip last month, we used Great Vibes Tour. Donavan is the owner. godfrey950 at gmail dot com. I reached out to him in early summer (for our trip in December). I contacted many other tour operators during my research. However, he was the only one who kept constant contact with me & asked if he can help answer questions re: Jamaica even if I decidedon another tour operator. I told him my main concerns are safety and make sure we do not miss the ship. First thing he did was send me a copy of his business certificate from the Jamaican government without me asking. Then he gave our names, ship name and cabin numbers to the port authority so they know we are out with him.

He has a fairly new van (I think it's 2012 or 2013) with AC. I cannot remember if it holds up to 12 or 15 people. His website states he charges $150 (for first 4 people) for transportation for the day. We negotiated a better rate for us since we had 11 people (but only 8 actually did the excursion that day). And since you are docking at MoBay, the price is probably lower. Donavan's been in the transportation business for over 10 years. We works at the Montego Bay airport (shuttle services) in between tours, when he gets them.

With any tour operators you choose, just tell them what time you want to be back at the port. General rule for me is to be back about 2 hours before the ship leaves. We generally cruise with Royal so they now dock at Falmouth. Montego Bay (MoBay) is closer to Ocho Rios (Ochi as the locals call it). It took us about 1 hr 20 min to get to BH from Falmouth. We stayed there for about 2 hours, got Jamaican patties from a food truck, then had lunch before heading back to the ship. We got back a little under 2 hours from sail time.

Grand Cayman - is really a beach or water-related activity place. We've only been there once and visited the 7mile beach.

Cozumel - very americanized. Been there more times than I care. :-) We usually dive when we visit Cozumel. However, on the last visit, 3 scube dive and the others, we hired a driver and toured the island.

All these islands rely on tourism, and locals know not to harm tourists. As DanFiveO said, police will come down hard on them. As anywhere you go, even home here in the U.S., you want to be "smart" when you go somewhere. I hope that makes sense.

BTW - whoever you decide for the BH excursion, ask the tour operator if the price includes the admission fee. For us we paid the admission fee directly to the Blue Hole.

BTW2 :) - the road to the BH is not that bad. From Falmouth to Ochi, it was all highway roads. Once we got through the city of Ocho Rios, we headed to the town of Exchange before getting to the BH. It is about 15-20 min of dirt road. The destination at the end of that road is breathtaken.

BTW3 :) you mentioned your concern about drugs. In all our visits we never had anyone try to push that on us. But I do want to let you know that outside the BH there are vendors there with "brownies". Donavan just drove right by them.

Sorry for the all BTW's...and for being wordy/lengthy.

Hope this helps....:confused:

Hi Blazer25,

I forgot to ask...are your teen boys adventurous? I chatted with a mother on this forum few weeks back (coincidentally who happens to live about 10 min from me...small world!)...she was concerned about her teen son (17 years old) being "bored" - since kids nowadays seem to not be able to exist without internet. I chatted with her again after she returned from her cruise and visit to BH and she said her family LOVED BH and she was glad they ended up donig that excursion.

I know there are a lot of tour operators out there, some biggers than others. We like supporting small businesses (entrepreuers) in these countries. I would do a lot of research into tour operators each time - we want to spread our business.

One time we used a company called Di Jamaican Flava. At that time, we were Mark's first customer and now he's grown to be a reputable tour operator. We hired Mark as our driver for the day. He took us to H'evans Scent (ziplining), lunch and shopping. Mark is awesome!

Our trip last month, we used Great Vibes Tour. Donavan is the owner. godfrey950 at gmail dot com. I reached out to him in early summer (for our trip in December). I contacted many other tour operators during my research. However, he was the only one who kept constant contact with me & asked if he can help answer questions re: Jamaica even if I decidedon another tour operator. I told him my main concerns are safety and make sure we do not miss the ship. First thing he did was send me a copy of his business certificate from the Jamaican government without me asking. Then he gave our names, ship name and cabin numbers to the port authority so they know we are out with him.

He has a fairly new van (I think it's 2012 or 2013) with AC. I cannot remember if it holds up to 12 or 15 people. His website states he charges $150 (for first 4 people) for transportation for the day. We negotiated a better rate for us since we had 11 people (but only 8 actually did the excursion that day). And since you are docking at MoBay, the price is probably lower. Donavan's been in the transportation business for over 10 years. We works at the Montego Bay airport (shuttle services) in between tours, when he gets them.

With any tour operators you choose, just tell them what time you want to be back at the port. General rule for me is to be back about 2 hours before the ship leaves. We generally cruise with Royal so they now dock at Falmouth. Montego Bay (MoBay) is closer to Ocho Rios (Ochi as the locals call it). It took us about 1 hr 20 min to get to BH from Falmouth. We stayed there for about 2 hours, got Jamaican patties from a food truck, then had lunch before heading back to the ship. We got back a little under 2 hours from sail time.

Grand Cayman - is really a beach or water-related activity place. We've only been there once and visited the 7mile beach.

Cozumel - very americanized. Been there more times than I care. :-) We usually dive when we visit Cozumel. However, on the last visit, 3 scube dive and the others, we hired a driver and toured the island.

All these islands rely on tourism, and locals know not to harm tourists. As DanFiveO said, police will come down hard on them. As anywhere you go, even home here in the U.S., you want to be "smart" when you go somewhere. I hope that makes sense.

BTW - whoever you decide for the BH excursion, ask the tour operator if the price includes the admission fee. For us we paid the admission fee directly to the Blue Hole.

BTW2 :) - the road to the BH is not that bad. From Falmouth to Ochi, it was all highway roads. Once we got through the city of Ocho Rios, we headed to the town of Exchange before getting to the BH. It is about 15-20 min of dirt road. The destination at the end of that road is breathtaken.

BTW3 :) you mentioned your concern about drugs. In all our visits we never had anyone try to push that on us. But I do want to let you know that outside the BH there are vendors there with "brownies". Donavan just drove right by them.

Sorry for the all BTW's...and for being wordy/lengthy.

Hope this helps....:confused:

What was the fee to the Blue Hole? I just sent our booked guide an email last night asking this very question. We are booked with Ricardo at Liberty Tours.

What was the fee to the Blue Hole? I just sent our booked guide an email last night asking this very question. We are booked with Ricardo at Liberty Tours.

We paid $10 per person to the BH when we got there. However, reading on Tripadvisor and cc, I noticed the prices are between $10-$20. :confused: I have no idea why????

When we are in Cozumel, we go to Paradise beach. We were going before they put the pool in and continue to go, my two boys love the water toys and I usually take a kayak out. Some of the best shrimp ceviche, a must for us when we go. I have not found it overly crowded, was very worried that when they put the pool in that it would be a mad house. plenty of room and all ways a chair on the beach or by the pool.

Grand Cayman, if this is your first time I would take the trip out to the stingrays and snorkel, We took the kids last time we went and they still talk about it. I wouldn't take the ship but go independent. I think my dh and I are going to do this tour again but with two snorkel stops ($40-$45pp).

Montego Bay, still looking for something to do on our upcoming cruise. We have done Dunn Falls (15 years ago). I hope someone chimes in.

Blue Hole or Ziplining?

Thank you for your quick reply and advice. Would you consider Paradise Beach "overcrowded?" I would still love to hear from other people too! Bring on the comments :)

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

We love Paradise beach and go there every time we are in Cozumel.

In Grand Cayman we did the stingray tour with Nativeway. It is called Rays, Reef and Rum point and it was awesome.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com

Edited by Marie51

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on a cruise in March and it will be our first time in Jamaica. However, last year we cruised and did sail into Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We had booked a catamaran tour with Island Marketing in Grand Cayman. It was to have been a sail with snorkeling and swimming with the stingrays in Stingray City. Once we got to Grand Cayman and paid for our trip in full, the skies opened up and it poured. So we were at the town square in Grand Cayman wondering what to do. The rep from Island Marketing called us over to her booth and refunded our money since the catamaran could not sail. What to do, what to do?? We saw another person from our cruiseline and I asked him what he was going to do. He pointed me in the direction of a woman selling tickets to a snorkel and stingray city tour which he was doing. We gave her the money that was just refunded to us and we boarded a bus that looked like Col. Potter's bus from Mash. The bus was full of cruiseship passengers, young and old, and took us to a motorboat. By this time, it had stopped raining and the sun was coming out. These 2 guys took us to stingray city and then to another spot for snorkeling. It was a fantastic day. In Cozumel we took a Celebrity excursion on what I believe was Fury Catarmarans. More snorkeling, and then they took us to a small beach with all kinds of outdoor water equipment - slides, bouncy tubes, etc. Another great day. Have fun with whatever you chose to do.

We just returned from our Caribbean cruise and the kids have not stopped talking about our trip to the Blue Hole! As the planner of our excursion, I cannot say enough good things about working with Ricardo of Liberty Tours.

From the first time I emailed liberty regarding this tour to the time we said goodbye after the excursion Ricardo offered A+++ quality service.

Although we were only in port for 1 day, Ricardo made sure we maximized our time! We had so much fun and learned so much about the history and culture of Jamaica. Ricardo greeted us at the Port of Falmouth in an air conditioned van with cold beverages including rum punch.

Our first stop was Discovery Bay, where Columbus first landed where we got a breathtaking view and took pictures. We then continued our journey through the various parishes of Jamaica where Ricardo narrated the entire time. Words and computer images cannot describe the beauty of the Blue Hole, until you see it in person! Ricardo arranged for guides to take us up the falls, where we stopped for pictures under the running falls, jumped off cliffs, swung from a rope, and went into a cave! An absolutely amazing adventure that everyone should experience.

After the Blue Hole, we stopped at Scotchies where Ricardo arranged for us to have lunch. At his recommendation, we tried carribean jerk chicken and pork, as well as festival. OMG... was it delicious. Our journey then continued to a local street bakery where the locals make sweet potato pie baked in car rims under charcoal! I cannot even describe how wonderful this pie tasted! We then drove to Bengal Beach where the kids went for a swim, saw some crabs and got to talk to more locals.

Overall, this was the highlight of our 2015 cruise! The next time we return to Jamaica, we will definitely contact Ricardo as he has been by far the BEST, guide we've ever used in our travels.

I decided to travel to the Blue Hole. I am so excited. We hired our own personal tour guide so that we can leave whenever we want :)

You are going to love it! We just watched our videos and it is absolutely breathtaking:D

We just returned from our Caribbean cruise and the kids have not stopped talking about our trip to the Blue Hole! As the planner of our excursion, I cannot say enough good things about working with Ricardo of Liberty Tours.

From the first time I emailed liberty regarding this tour to the time we said goodbye after the excursion Ricardo offered A+++ quality service.

Although we were only in port for 1 day, Ricardo made sure we maximized our time! We had so much fun and learned so much about the history and culture of Jamaica. Ricardo greeted us at the Port of Falmouth in an air conditioned van with cold beverages including rum punch.

Our first stop was Discovery Bay, where Columbus first landed where we got a breathtaking view and took pictures. We then continued our journey through the various parishes of Jamaica where Ricardo narrated the entire time. Words and computer images cannot describe the beauty of the Blue Hole, until you see it in person! Ricardo arranged for guides to take us up the falls, where we stopped for pictures under the running falls, jumped off cliffs, swung from a rope, and went into a cave! An absolutely amazing adventure that everyone should experience.

After the Blue Hole, we stopped at Scotchies where Ricardo arranged for us to have lunch. At his recommendation, we tried carribean jerk chicken and pork, as well as festival. OMG... was it delicious. Our journey then continued to a local street bakery where the locals make sweet potato pie baked in car rims under charcoal! I cannot even describe how wonderful this pie tasted! We then drove to Bengal Beach where the kids went for a swim, saw some crabs and got to talk to more locals.

Overall, this was the highlight of our 2015 cruise! The next time we return to Jamaica, we will definitely contact Ricardo as he has been by far the BEST, guide we've ever used in our travels.

Thanks for the review, we will be there in June and looking at things to do. This looks like a great tour. I went to the website and it does not list prices, which tour did you do and how much did it cost?

We will be traveling with my parents and my father isnt great at climbing, did you have alot of climbing or rough walking....

Thanks in advance!

Tammi

Thanks for the review, we will be there in June and looking at things to do. This looks like a great tour. I went to the website and it does not list prices, which tour did you do and how much did it cost?

We will be traveling with my parents and my father isnt great at climbing, did you have alot of climbing or rough walking....

Thanks in advance!

Tammi

Hi Tammi,

If you send an email, Ricardo at Liberty is super fast at responding. There is not a lot of climbing or rough walking to get to the falls.... slight incline and decline. Once you get to the falls, crossing them is a little rough, as the water makes you unsteady.... BUT THE GUIDES ARE EXCELLENT with holding onto you while crossing. Our daughter is severely visually impaired and has no depth perception (she has a glass eye). She crossed with their assistance no problem.... on the way back we walked back instead of jumping from the falls. I ended up getting some great photos. Once I get my cruise video done, I will post a link and you can fast forward to the Blue Hole. We paid $55.00 per person from Falmouth which included transportation and entry into Blue Hole. Extras were tips and light tasting at Scotchies :) Ask Ricardo to call you and you can ask him any questions about the excursion, your parents, etc.

Edited by QTPieRye

I decided to travel to the Blue Hole. I am so excited. We hired our own personal tour guide so that we can leave whenever we want :)

Blazer, just be aware that the port of Montego Bay is about 45 minutes from Falmouth (depending on traffic). One poster above said Montego Bay is "closer to Ocho Rios" than Falmouth and that is absolutely incorrect. Falmouth is BETWEEN MoBay and Ocho Rios, so you are looking at about 2 hr ride to and from Blue Hole. Might be a little less, but be prepared for 2 hrs each way.

Knowing this, I'd recommend that you have your tour guide pick you up as early as possible, in order to make the most of your day and your time at BH. You will definitely want to request to be back at the ship 1 hr prior to departure, as all aboard is 30 minute prior to departure. That gives you a 30 minute cushion......which is not much.

Personally, like someone else posted....you'll probably cruise again. I would not spend 4 hrs in a van for BH, but wait until another trip when you port closer to the venue, then you can spend more time enjoying. But if you really think this will be your only opportunity, go for it.

Thinking about trying the Blue Hole out when we go In May. We will be traveling with my Aunt that is 65 and also we will have a one year old with us. Those that have been do you see them having any issues as far as say walking and navigating their way to the bottom and just floating in the water while the other group jumps ? Want everyone to enjoy this and worried about them being left out. Thanks !!

• 2 weeks later...
Thinking about trying the Blue Hole out when we go In May. We will be traveling with my Aunt that is 65 and also we will have a one year old with us. Those that have been do you see them having any issues as far as say walking and navigating their way to the bottom and just floating in the water while the other group jumps ? Want everyone to enjoy this and worried about them being left out. Thanks !!

We were there in Dec 2014. Definitely would not recommend bringing a 1 yr old. Our daughter (4 y.o.) stayed on the ship with the adventure ocean - she loves it there, for now. As for your aunt, is she mobile? We saw older people there and they seemed to have a blast. It's a matter if your aunt can walk up the rocks. The tour guides are fantastic at holding your hands and having you step in the right places along the way.

You can hire a private driver like we did - then you have them all day. Ours gave us the option of having the older people in our group to go on a tour of ocho rios after the rest of the gorup was dropped off at BH. Then we all met up for lunch.

We used a company called Great Vibes Tour. The owner personally took us and we had a blast. In case you want it, his email address is: godfrey950 at gmail dot com. His prices are so much better and lower than the other competitors. Get a quote from him. THEN afterwards, as for a discount off the price - tell him the people from Dallas, Texas referred him on cruise critic. He said eh'll offer a discount.

We will be in Jamaica for the first time with the kids in a couple of weeks and plan on going to BH. DH and I did the DRF 15 yrs ago and enjoyed it but hear it has become very busy.

We have been to Grand Cayman twice already and will be going again soon. Prior to kids we swam with the Stingrays and LOVED it but our kids weren't interested. When they were with us last time (4yrs ago) we went to the turtle farm, but likely your teenagers won't want to do that, and seven mile beach. This time all they want to do is hang out on the beach. It's beautiful and so easy to get to on the city 'bus' which is more or less a van. The island is a very expensive place to live, so you will not find much for riff-raff there. Of all of the places we've been in the Caribbean it's where we felt the most comfortable.

Cozumel we've been to 3 times and will be there again too. Last time we swam with the dolphins and I would highly recommend that if you haven't done it before. We booked outside of the cruise ship and there are lots of options for that in Cozumel. This time the kids want to stay on the ship for part of the day and then just do a little browsing in the shops. We've never stayed on board while at port so interested in seeing how that is for a bit.

With a family of 5, we've stayed away from the cruise line excursions, initially due to costs. We have had NO problems with any we booked ourselves but we've always done research here first to find reputable companies.

Have FUN!!

Liberty Tours with Ricardo as the guide was an amazing day to the Blue Hole. It was myself, mid age petite female, with two 13 year old teens. They had an amazing day. I never felt unsafe. I wrote a review on Tripadvisor and included photos.

In Cayman we love to use Nativeway for the stingray tours. They have always been great.

Cozumel has a wonderful quiet place we love to taxi on our own-Chankanub. Complete with beach, gardens, snorkeling, food, great service, clean restrooms, seal show and large iguanas.

Hi mrsfuzzmo! We will be there in about 60 days! My concern is my 3 (ages 13, 10, 9) are not very strong swimmers. Neither of them have swam anywhere other than an in ground pool. They are fairly tall for their ages if that counts for anything. Other than the Blue Hole I have not been able to find anything worthwhile at this port. I would love to experience authentic jerk and perhaps a beach or an adventure. Would you recommend the Blue Hole? Or find another option to get to Scotchies and perhaps a beach?

I did the Blue Hole last August. We had 3 families with a total of 10 people. 3 teens and one 10 year old included. We booked through Liberty Tours Jamaica. Ricardo contacted me via email promptly. He answered all my questions back and forth. He gave me very specific details about where to go once in port. Even gave first and last names of who to go with and give money to. He called me twice before we left. Everything he said rang true. Yes the ride up the mountain was off the beaten path he made the ride fun and interesting. Telling us all about Jamaica, schools, business, cultures etc. the Blue Hole was amazing. At the end of the day we had 4 kids saying "this was the best day ever!" We had no problem w vendors because Ricardo was waiting just outside the port and he stayed w us the whole time and dropped us off at the doors. His advice for being in Jamaica was always have a guide. They know where to go and not to go. My best advice would be to research any company you choose. I read on this forum posts of things first. Then went to their site. I even searched You Tube. And Trip Advisor. I will say it went down as one of my best days of my life. And I have not read one bad review about Liberty Tours. And the falls there are not crowded and you have a person guide there as well. We are going back this August and probably using them again.