Reducing Luggage allowance

mckay1

I see most people haven't been reading how much carry on is allowed. Most american airlines allow 18 KG of carry on. Now post 9/11 lots of pax incl. us went to taking much less carry on to avoid being in too many check lines with all that carry on.....and even then there have been problems with overheadbin space on Transat flights. So much so that on some flights they had to have some pax place their carry ons in the hold......

Now people will use their full allowances causing even more problems in the cabin during the flight.....

My wife, at 120 lbs, has long argued that she be allowed to take along more luggage than heavier people. She believes that equality means a pax and their luggage should be weighed together... the more you weigh, the less luggage you are allowed to take with you.. :cool:

• 2 months later...

We're all just guessing why policy changed, and some of the ideas expressed here make a lot of sense, like the weight AND balance. I used to work for Antilles Airboats in St Thomas and we would, like the PP said, estimate everyone's weight at 175 unless we could do a visual of a 300 pounder or there was a child to balance him out. On flights with lots of St Thomas duty free liquor we sometimes had to weigh the passengers on the cargo scale. The captain would decide if their liquor could accompany them or had to go on a later flight. And just like helicopter flights in Alaska, the pilot could tell you where to sit for the balance.

Having just retired from working for the City of Auburn, I also know that there is a big push for safety thru the risk management programs. Perhaps having 2 50 lb bags allowed reduces the possibility of an employee having to lift a 70 lb bag and getting a hernia. I wonder if they tag the 70 lb bag you had to pay excess baggage on so the ramp attendant or porter knows it will be heavier than the usual 50 lbs? Anyone?

We, me actually, have a rule...what Jill packs, she carries...50lbs would be about max.

C'mon folks, there are people who have to handle these things and 70 pounds is a bit much...good for you Air Canada (and I don't care for Air Canada).

It's my understanding that many airlines have reduced their baggage weight allowance because of the increasing number of workers' comp suits that have been filed by baggage handlers over the last several years. Whether that's an indication of a real problem - or just another manifestation of the litigeous nature of our society - is up for grabs. If baggage handlers can lift 70 lb. bags headed to Europe without a problem, then they should also be able to lift 70 lb. bags on domestic runs, no? With most airlines operating in the red these days, I think they've just caught on to a new revenue generator.

It's my understanding that many airlines have reduced their baggage weight allowance because of the increasing number of workers' comp suits that have been filed by baggage handlers over the last several years. Whether that's an indication of a real problem - or just another manifestation of the litigeous nature of our society - is up for grabs. If baggage handlers can lift 70 lb. bags headed to Europe without a problem, then they should also be able to lift 70 lb. bags on domestic runs, no? With most airlines operating in the red these days, I think they've just caught on to a new revenue generator.

Nope - it is greed pure and simple - they discovered a new revenue source.

so you take 2 suit cases at 49# each. And yes you buy lighter luggage. Been there done that got the T shirt. If you look back at the beginning of the thread - i noted this trend on our Alaska trip back in August

Perhaps having 2 50 lb bags allowed reduces the possibility of an employee having to lift a 70 lb bag and getting a hernia. I wonder if they tag the 70 lb bag you had to pay excess baggage on so the ramp attendant or porter knows it will be heavier than the usual 50 lbs? Anyone?
I'll answer for United. First, my 49# suitcases even get the orange "Heavy" tag. But the 70# argument doesn't fly (pun intended). If I still had my Exec Premier or 1K card with them, they'd take my 70# bags without question. They'd let me take 2X bags at 72# each (50lbs + 10 kilos) unless I wanted to take 3X 50# bags. So they're prepared to allow people to heft these, even on domestic flights.

Someone here on one of the threads recently suggested purchasing the Travel Utility Scale. My dh went through the trouble of ordering it.

Too bad he didn't listen to me last week when I finished packing and asked him to acually put it to use BEFORE we got to the airport and he had to transfer belongings between 2 suitcases. :rolleyes: Yes, one was over and the other was over.

Being the good wife I am I did not say a word until AFTER he was finished with his work...and laughed my way to the gate. Oh to only be right ONCE in awhile :eek:

So what's the strategy when this happens? Just move stuff from one into the other until you're only paying the overweight charge on one of the suitcases?
Oops! Bad me! :o

Dh, just got me back!! Up past my bedtime and mistyped. . .

Should read... "Yes, one was over and the other was under."

1) Most people travel within the weight rules.

2) It is a revenue stream for the airlines, but considering what most people are paying for their tickets, the airline has to make money somewhere. Charging lower fares and lowering the limits and charging those who go over is a good way to get lower fares for most people overall. How many people really go over their weight limit (I can tell you from personal experience not a lot), and even if you do, $25-50 is still a better deal than having the airlines hike fares across the board for everyone. Just like most businesses you get the cheaper price with more restrictions and less benefits. You want the supersize or extra features, you pay. That way the most people can get the best value for their money and those willing to pay for the extras can get them as well.

3) I understand when people are traveling with books for school, tools for their job or items for a seminar that they are going to be heavy, but what on earth are most people going to bring that is that heavy? The airlines permit 2 suitcases for clothes and other incidentals needed for the trip. They arent a moving company so the tvs, canned food boxes, tires, and many other items of "interest" arent included technically in the ticketing allowance. They do permit you to bring them, but for a charge much like any other freight company would do. If you dont want to pay the airlines for the extra weight, you can always ship them FedEx or UPS.

4) I've taken several 2-3 week trips and have never been close to the weight limit with the bags. I dont take everything I own and plan to do laundry at least once so I can wear things more than once during the trip. If people dont want to be bothered with doing this, they may bring up to 99 lbs per bag, but they are going to pay for that choice.

4) I've taken several 2-3 week trips and have never been close to the weight limit with the bags. I dont take everything I own and plan to do laundry at least once so I can wear things more than once during the trip. If people dont want to be bothered with doing this, they may bring up to 99 lbs per bag, but they are going to pay for that choice.
I am able to take a very standard hardshell (no fudging by overpacking a soft side) Samsonite suitcase, and packing nothing but clothing and a few toiletries, can readily hit the 50# limit. The issue isn't the total weight permitted (essentially, 100# for most folks), but the fact that we don't appreciate having to manage multiple suitcases when it isn't really necessary. On a 14nt cruise, I get by well enough within the volume of one such suitcase and the carry-on roller, and the latter is typically full of vino. However, that one suitcase is very efficiently packed, and will often tip the scales at > 50# without a great exercise of care.

Since they're perfectly willing to take 70# suitcases for some passengers, the issue can't really be the one piece weight, and since they're perfectly willing to take TWO 50# suitcases from anyone for a total of #100 pounds, ONE 55# suitcase isn't overtaxing the aircraft, either.

In short, no explanation apart from the $$$ one makes any sense to me.

Archived