Lack of Customer Relation support over weekends

Fig jam

My thoughts also on reading Op's 1st post. EXCEPT that I would have, if time allowed, gone back through security and found myself a HAL Shore Operations Red Jacketed person and asked for their help. They could have contacted the Port Everglades Shore Ops there and maybe, just maybe, have notified the Head of Housekeeping and/or Hotel Manager before the ship had left for its next cruise.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda are all fine and dandy, but placing the blame, no matter where it lies is pointless at this point in time.

I do hope that the Lap Top turns up, but hope more that time will ease the anger the OP feels right now.

Joanie

Joanie..They did not discover the loss until 5 hours after they disembarked & they discovered it in Miami.. They probably called Seattle then & the Reservation Agent could not help them as he/she could not contact the ship.. By then the new Psgrs would have been boarded & they would be getting the ship ready for departure.. IThe OP stated it was around 3 P.M. when the loss was discovered..fThey were told to send an e-mail to Lost & Found & the next day they followed up with HAL in the UK..

The laptop might still be found in Lost & Found, but it takes time..

Edited by serendipity1499

Not that it will help the OP, but this is one reason I use a TA.

A couple years ago, I discovered I left my jacket in the MDR on the last day. I was already on the freeway and wasn't going back. I called my TA and she called the ship immediately. It was not turned in. She followed up in the afternoon right before sailaway (and maybe again when the ship got back the next week?). No, I never got my jacket back but I only needed to have one number... my TA!

Not that it will help the OP, but this is one reason I use a TA.

A couple years ago, I discovered I left my jacket in the MDR on the last day. I was already on the freeway and wasn't going back. I called my TA and she called the ship immediately. It was not turned in. She followed up in the afternoon right before sailaway (and maybe again when the ship got back the next week?). No, I never got my jacket back but I only needed to have one number... my TA!

With all respect, I get what you are saying but no matter how many times the TA called, you still didn't get your jacket so the calls did no good. :eek:

You could have called the one number to the cruise line yourself and had the same result......... no return of your jacket.

To really be a cynic, how would you know if TA actually called? Just because they said so?

We sailed on the Eurodam last month (7th Dec departure)and on disembarkation day we mistakenly left our laptop on top of the safe in our suite. We only discovered it was missing from our trolley bag when we reached security at MIA about 5 hours later (the bag had not been out of our sight).

I immediately called HAL only to be told that as it was a Sunday no one could help me & just to send an email!!!! I find it amazing that there is no one at all you can speak to over weekends if you have a problem after disembarkation & I am stunned that there was no way a message to the ship could be sent!

I sent an email then called their UK office once we landed the following morning but sadly the laptop has not turned up. We appreciate that we should not have forgotten it but shocked that it has not been handed in. It was in the tiny gap between the safe and shelf, not exactly a public area!

The total lack of concern and pathetic email reply has not exactly endeared HAL to us and in fact I had a better reply from the stinging comments about it that I put on the survey. It is not so much the value of the laptop HAL just said claim on your insurance) but all the work my husband had been doing on t during the cruise that he had not had time to back up and having to change a huge amount of account information.

We had paid a future cruise deposit for yet another cruise but we have decided not to cruise again with HAL as are severely disappointed in their attitude.

IMHO whoever you spoke with should have gotten a supervisor involved. Maybe the supervisor would have had the authority to email the ship to ask them to check your cabin. :rolleyes:

You may not have gotten a quick answer, but at least someone would have done something on your behalf. It would not have required very much effort on their part :rolleyes: Yes, you forgot it, and yes you could have backed up your data, but it would not have been terribly difficult IMHO for a HAL rep to have expended a teeny bit of effort when you first called.

Even if the rep didn't have the authority to actually do anything right then, surely they could have escalated this to someone who could do something, even if it was the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Those who are blaming the OP are not helpful at all. I'm sure he knows it is his fault he left the laptop behind. The point is HAL has not handled the situation well.

Having read this thread, I was amused with a somewhat similar situation where three days ago I lost a glove in the railway station in London, Ontario. It was just a glove, but a new one that was (half of) a Christmas gift. I noticed it missing when I was hanging up my coat on the VIA Rail train. When I got home I phoned VIA and the reservation agent took the particulars. Out of curiosity I asked him if a lost item report could be taken on a week-end and he replied: "Of course."

After he took the particulars he phoned the station manager in London and after two minutes I was connected with that person. He immediately looked through the found items and when we ascertained it was my glove he said it would be put on the next train to Toronto and I could collect it at my convenience in Toronto. So if I wanted it quickly my gloves could have been re-united in just three and a half hours after I reported the missing item.

If a railway - and a Crown corporation, not a private company - can handle a minor lost item with such efficiency, I would expect a large cruise line to better handle the situation of a valuable item.

Those who are blaming the OP are not helpful at all. I'm sure he knows it is his fault he left the laptop behind. The point is HAL has not handled the situation well.

Having read this thread, I was amused with a somewhat similar situation where three days ago I lost a glove in the railway station in London, Ontario. It was just a glove, but a new one that was (half of) a Christmas gift. I noticed it missing when I was hanging up my coat on the VIA Rail train. When I got home I phoned VIA and the reservation agent took the particulars. Out of curiosity I asked him if a lost item report could be taken on a week-end and he replied: "Of course."

After he took the particulars he phoned the station manager in London and after two minutes I was connected with that person. He immediately looked through the found items and when we ascertained it was my glove he said it would be put on the next train to Toronto and I could collect it at my convenience in Toronto. So if I wanted it quickly my gloves could have been re-united in just three and a half hours after I reported the missing item.

If a railway - and a Crown corporation, not a private company - can handle a minor lost item with such efficiency, I would expect a large cruise line to better handle the situation of a valuable item.

That is fantastic service and you are fortunate to have recovered your glove.

That depended upon something more than a capable, willing, weekend worker. Someone turned in that lost glove so it was in their lost and found.

None of us know if that laptop walked off the ship in someone's carryon bag. :eek: We don't know anyone but a (potential) thief saw that laptop from the time OP left it there.