Thanksgiving on Glory- Eastern Caribbean- My First Review

cruisexlife

Just going to check and make sure the picture uploads first!

01-DSCN0270_zpsa289b7ed.jpg

Good! There we go! This was taken from a terribly dirty glass window, in the dark. My pictures do get better, trust me! :D

Hey guys, this is my frist-ever Cruise Critic review, and I couldn't be any more happier to finally carry it out! I'm sorry if it's a bit delayed, I was very busy with my birthday right after the cruise, and holiday season with my family!

Typos are EXTREMELY inevitable! :p

Us: We both live in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. I took this cruise with my mother. I find that any cruise with mom is the best one. And believe me, this was our favorite!

So I'm just going to start with Day 1!

Day 1: Getting Ready and Flight Down

I spent the night at Mom's. We loaded the car the night before, because temps were in the mid 30's, and I didn't feel like dealing with that early in the AM and with the cold. We woke up at 4:30. After packing our phone and camera chargers, we headed out. It was 5:33 and we happily rolled into teh Days Inn in Linthicum eating some fruit I grabbed just in case we had to wait a while for breakfast.By 6, we were parked and the shuttle came to get us. We left the car at the hotel for about $6 a day. Not too bad. We arrived at the airport around 6:15, and we were sitting at the gate at 6:45, ready for our 7:10 flight to FLL. Southwest is a great carrier, especially if you live in close proximity to an airport it hubs in (like BWI!) They have some really cheap rates, you sit wherever you want once you get on the plane, and you get 2 free checked bags! AT about 7:17, wheels lifted, I said goodbye to the fall MD weather and hello to vacation! See you in a week Maryland! :D

(Leave any questions or things you want me to address in the review, I'll begin answering them, and will continue this review in the morning. Make sure you tell me how I'm doing so far!)

NEXT: Landing in FLL, Shuttle to MIA, Embarkation onto Glory! :D

Edited by cruisexlife

Looking forward to review. What was itinerary?

Saturday- Miami, 4PM departure

Sunday- Nassau, 7AM-2Pm

Monday- Day at Sea

Tuesday- St.Thomas, 11AM-7PM

Wednesday- San Juan, 7AM-3PM

Thursday- Grand Turk, 10AM-5:30PM

Friday- Day at Sea

Saturday- Miami, arrival around 7AM

:D:D:D

Landing in FLL, Catching the Shuttle

As scheduled, our plane landed in FLL around 9:45. Debarkation from the plan in FLL is always quick, and by 10 we were standing in front of baggage claim, where I nearly had a hart attack. The crowd began to clear and bags started to shorten, and ours weren't on it. Mom got super worried! But after asking an airport secutiyy officer, we found out that they changed the baggage claim number. Nice announcment FLL :rolleyes:. We got out bags in no time, and went and got tickets for the 11:30 shuttle. We always use the Carnival shuttle, just because we can always rely on it. I think it is $20 per person per ride, and our return flight was out of MIA, so it was only $40. The shuttle departed around 11:30, as scheduled. When I started to see road signs, I became very excited!

02-DSCN0273_zps8b46a335.jpg

I had no clue that the Port Miami tunnel existed, so when I saw the ships on the other side, I began to wonder, but before I could let my imagination flow, I saw the signs, and I was okay.

03-DSCN0274_zpsaf24a93c.jpg

There she is!

Embarkation

Once we landed on the other side of the tunnel, we drove a little, but since the Breeze came first, we had to drop the Breeze passengers off first. I usually don't get impatient, but after about 15 minutes, which you all know feels like an hour when you're reparing to get on a ship, I considered getting mom and I's bags from the bottom of the coach and walking, it wasn't far, but shortly after I had the thought, our driver came back and we drove over to the Glory. I got off the coach, and grab my mothers bags, gave them to her, and then my own. It looked a little hectic outside, so we both walked to the first security guard we saw and asked where the FTTF passengers board. We pointed directly at the side door, which had a huge "FTTF or VIFP Priority Boarding Passengers, Enter Here!" right on the door. Oops. So we walked in, and went through security. I felt weird lifting both of our suitcases onto the security systme, as I've never done it before. It didn't hit me until after I filled out my ebola questionaire that we completely skipped the porters!! :D I wanted to see how long we could get away with it, and what would happen. Here's a ship-pic I snapped while Mom finished her survey.

04-DSCN0279_zpscf12788a.jpg

We walked to the FTTF Line, got our our keys, and followed the signs to the ship. We took our embarkation photos, walked along that cool sky deck thing, and made our way onboard the Glory for my 3rd time! We were soaring up the glass elevators to our room by 1:1505-DSCN0280_zpsbeea6301.jpg

Looking forward to this review! We will be doing this route soon, although we have Half Moon Cay instead of Nassau!

Thanks for taking the time to include the great photos...makes the review so much more interesting, but I know from experience how much work it is!

Looking forward to this review! We will be doing this route soon, although we have Half Moon Cay instead of Nassau!

Thanks for taking the time to include the great photos...makes the review so much more interesting, but I know from experience how much work it is!

Thanks so much :D

My mother and I usually cruise on holidays or over the summer, as we find some of the best people on those cruises, and a holiday just feels likea time to get away, ya know? So when I saw this itinerary, I was super pumped, 3 new ports, but I was a little bummed that it wasn't HMC, but it was Nassau instead. They probably knew lots of families and kids would be on this cruise. But Nassau ended up being a great day!

You're in for blast, especially, like me, if this was your first time to the Eastern Caribbean. Either way, you're going to love it!! :D:D

Getting to Our Room

My favorite type of room is interior. Least amount of motion, more flexibility in your ship location, and the cheapest option. But mom likes being able to not feel like she's in a cave, so eventually we compromised on the 4J's, and we loved them. This trip, we landed 6201. We were FTTF so we had our room early!

06-DSCN0282_zps7d39ee05.jpg

The beds were pushed together, but we asked our room steward, that was one of our 3 sights of him, to separate them, and after lunch, they were separated.

07-DSCN0283_zps43024f42.jpg

08-DSCN0284_zps0e136dc2.jpg

The shower was a mess, I'll explain later ;)

I have always loved the secret decks, so here was ours, featuring the MSC Divina!

09-DSCN0285_zpsf9bd98a7.jpg

Next: Lunch, Ship Walking! Stay tuned!

I love ship atrium shots, so expect many. Glory's atrium is nice, but after cruising on her 3 times, I personally can't wait until Liberty's atrium!

10-DSCN0286_zps41f00e8c.jpg

I usually am one for Guys, but I am going through a Mexican phase, so I directly went over to Blue Iguana, because I could always go for burritos and mom wanted some tacos.

11-DSCN0289_zpsb24d5be2.jpg

I didn't get any sauce, didn't want any. It was a little dry, but that's how I usually like it. Lettuce helped though. It was delicious! :D

12-DSCN0290_zps9c4fd6da.jpg

Nice view of Miami. I moved over to the Guy's side to get the view. Love the view from Miami!

13-DSCN0291_zpsac3832cc.jpg

Thanks for taking time for a review. Will be on the Glory on the 17th and just wanting to see what the don't miss stuff is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You most certainly will see that, I made sure I captured the important things. And if I didn't, just comment on what you wanted to know, because there's a 90% chance I've seen/done it on one of three cruises on Glory ;)

Edited by cruisexlife

I took this time between lunch and muster to walk around the upper decks a bit.

14-DSCN0293_zpsb689a5d0.jpg

Serenity Deck, Deck 11

15-DSCN0294_zps733ca950.jpg

Descending Lido, Deck 10 (I personally love the Lido designs on Conquest-class ships)

16-DSCN0296_zps11d327a7.jpg

Not too packed lido on embarkation day, but when the sun was out as we left Nassau, it was a whole different story...

17-DSCN0299_zpsbd56971b.jpg

Emerald Room Steakhouse, Deck 10. Didn't eat there, but I wanted to get a picture for CC.

18-DSCN0300_zps3ceefc63.jpg

Stairs up to the Emerald Room, looking down at the Red Sail Lido.

19-DSCN0303_zpsd1c82b15.jpg

Miami. Can anyone explain the construction over there? I took more pictures so if anyone thinks they know, tell me. I'm a little curious.

20-DSCN0304_zps29e9df96.jpg

Someone in MSC Divina's bridge! :D

21-DSCN0306_zps75f66210.jpg

Took a little run to Alchemy for you guys. I don't drink that often, so I didn't make a stop here. Sorry :-(

22-DSCN0312_zpsf78fa11a.jpg

I soared back up to Deck 10 and shot this picture of the adult-only aft pool. Such a nice little place, and if it rains, which it did, they can close the top so the pool can still be used. Lovely place at the back of the boat!

23-DSCN0313_zps578f2677.jpg

I took this picture because at the time, I thought my next cruise would be Breeze. It ended up being Liberty, but I still like this picture!

24-DSCN0316_zps96a847ce.jpg

An old embarkation terminal that isn't in use anymore. Ships probably began getting too large and started holding many people, so they probably just built those nice, new terminals instead.

Edited by cruisexlife

Very excited to see the rest of your review. We just booked the Glory for April 18th. Almost the same itinerary except we are going to HMC. We have never been to any of these ports or on this ship so we are really looking forward to it.

All of them were new to me too, except Nassau, but I had such a great time, and you're going to love th Eastern Caribbean! :D

At around 3:10, the captain made the announcement that there would be a "mandatory safety drill that all passengers must attend", which to all repeat cruisers means the Muster Drill, the only 30 minutes unenjoyable on your cruise that you can't wiggle your way out of or avoid. Once the announcement was made, my mom and I met back in our room and waited until the horn was blown. While many like to lally-gag so they can be the first out and feel like less a sardine, we just walked straight down.

06-DSCN0329_zps6668460b.jpg

07-DSCN0330_zps867f7677.jpg

While I was worried about it taking long, this was the shortest muster drill I've ever been to. From about 3:35-3:50 we were clumped together listening to the announcement. Once dismissed, we went back to the cabin to get the other camera off the charger and switch it (same SD card) and fled up to Deck 14 for sailaway! It was barely 4 and we were "late" :rolleyes:, as our lines had dropped and we had began to move! Vacation has started!!! :D

08-DSCN0332_zps765e96ef.jpg

I stayed near the waterslide for the whole thing. Here are the highlights!

09-DSCN0334_zpsebef3ae2.jpg

Norwegian Getaway began her sailaway early, and she was pretty far down, as this was zoomed as you can tell by the low quality.

10-DSCN0335_zps629b3aaa.jpg

MSC Divina and Celebrity Reflection in Miami. Divina is on my list!

14-DSCN0342_zps5d124f4a.jpg

While we turned around in the Miami Turning Basin, Reflection dropped her lines and headed out before us. We ran into her again later, in St.Thomas! :D

15-DSCN0344_zpsb5178e89.jpg

What are they doing here? I know I asked earlier but here is a better picture of the work they are doing. Does anyone have an idea?

16-DSCN0345_zps015b7a6f.jpg

Full steam ahead east out of Miami, bound for the Caribbean!

17-DSCN0348_zps7b84fbab.jpg

Such a beauty! She was on an 8 night cruise, calling at Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao and Aruba, another dream route of mine!

18-DSCN0350_zpsfe1fbfad.jpg

19-DSCN0353_zps6d04dd57.jpg

It would be so cool to drive down this causeway and have a ship go through.

21-DSCN0362_zps1343de8b.jpg

Sorry for quality but everyone making their way to South Beach around 4:30.

23-DSCN0379_zps0a09a66b.jpg

24-DSCN0384_zpsfeccb570.jpg

See you in a week Miami!