Favorite Show/Entertainer - Past & Present

Nor'Eastah

On the Prinsendam 2005 World Tour, there were many good performances, some mediocre ones, some bad ones and a few outstanding ones. There weren't many that made enough of an impression to even remember the name of the performer/act, but one in particular was side splitting funny from start to finish. Ventriloquists are usually not my favorite form of entertainment, but Patrick Murray and Matilda were hilarious!

It wasn't on a HAL cruise but we did have a ventriloquist named Patrick Murray and Matilda on the Regent Star back in Nov 1989 and I still remember them as my favorite act of any cruise we've taken. Can't be that many ventriloquists with the same name and "dummy" so assume it's probably the same person. This was back when the entertainers were also the cruise staff so we saw a lot of them during the week. My favorite was when we had to skip Aruba because of a problem with one of the engines. They put together all kinds of special things that afternoon and had Matilda call Bingo. It was hillarious. Everyone was laughing so hard they didn't really care who won the games or not. Sure would be great to see them again so many years later.

We've also had a chance to see Joel Mason twice (Veendam in 2004 and Westerdam in 2005). We're not Elton fans but Joel is a great entertainer and we really enjoyed the show.

This is a first. :) I never heard anyone refer to that area on the ship by any other name except the Piano Bar.

The Volendam does have the Sea View Lounge on the deck plans. It looks like it is referring to the seats along the windows across from the Piano Bar. Or does it mean the sitting area in the Piano Bar area? Whatever ! The mystery is cleared up.

Some of the other Hal ships have named that area also but not all. The Veendam has "Piano Bar".

Thanks, Grumpy1! I was trying to remember the name of the ventriloquist. (I did remember the name of his "girlfriend", Matilda.) Patrick Murray has been on several of my HAL cruises and I really do enjoy his act. To say that they are hilarious is to put it mildly!

I was running through the thread thinking 'that guy with Matilda was a hoot, what was his name?' Thanks for the name Grumpy1, we have seen Patrick a few times and I would love to see him again. He was outstanding.

We also saw Robert Klein in 2001 on the Sun Princess, and quite enjoyed him too.

Bodger

How about the group in the Ocean Bar - City Lights. I hope they are still entertaining on HAL ships. Especially in November on the Veendam!

I think KK is the first one to ever tell us about this group. They are really great!

Q

Esme,

The Seaview Lounge is just aft of the shops on the starboard side on the R-class ships, the replacement for the piano bar on the S-class ships. It has various names depending on the ship. I think it's called the Ambassador Lounge on the Rotterdam. In my opinion, the entertainment there is frequently better than in the main show lounge. We usually end up there every night. :D

I'll toss my hat in for Joel Mason. I've always enjoyed Elton John's music and Joel does a really, really excellent job of making you think you're really seeing Elton himself. On our cruise, I was fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to be his 'mark' during the show (the person he singles out to talk to, embarrass, etc.) and my family and I loved it. I did too up until the end of the show when he called me up to the stage for a faux-kiss and actually gave me a lip-to-lip smooch! Surprising but all in the name of entertainment.

Quendryth, I`m with you, City Lights are my all time favorites. I have sailed with them 3 or 4 times. Vanessa on the piano is awesome, both in voice and playing. Also love Edgar and Billy. Anyone know which ship they are on right now?.............jean :cool:

My favourite has to be the comedian, Don Sherman, [in Mexico]. He was on the Statendam two years ago, and on the Mercury last spring, he was a riot! 'Why can't I get on a bus in New York? There are ALL in Cabo San Lucas, all you can see is BUSSES, BUSSES, BUSSES, there is nowhere for them to go, they just sit there!' :D john

One of our favorites is singer Christopher Dillon. We just loved him and have seen him on several HAL ships in the past. Not recently however. Also loved a group that played in the Ocean Bar, maybe on the Rotterdam. The lead singer was a female and she sounded just like Helen O'Connell. I think the band had her name as the name of the band. Also loved a comedian who had been on the Zuiderdam, last name is Drake and he was married to the cruise director, Dottie. He did the late night comedy show. Also liked Marty Brill, a blast from the past. He was very funny. Our favorite Cruise director is Ray Carr ( moved on to another line)

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! It's great to see all the good memories everyone has! I am now keeping my fingers crossed that Joel Mason will be performing on my next cruise and will keep an eye out for some of the other entertainers as well.

Anyone remember Paul Tanner....he does musical impressions. I think he's best known for his Neil Diamond. I saw him in 1994 and then again in 2003. He got standing ovations both times.

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! It's great to see all the good memories everyone has! I am now keeping my fingers crossed that Joel Mason will be performing on my next cruise and will keep an eye out for some of the other entertainers as well.

Anyone remember Paul Tanner....he does musical impressions. I think he's best known for his Neil Diamond. I saw him in 1994 and then again in 2003. He got standing ovations both times.

I saw Paul Tanner also...I believe in 2003 on Princess Panama Canal trip. He was sooo wonderful. Again a "dead ringer"....if you didn't look you would swear Neil Diamond in the flesh!

I saw Paul Tanner also...I believe in 2003 on Princess Panama Canal trip. He was sooo wonderful. Again a "dead ringer"....if you didn't look you would swear Neil Diamond in the flesh!

My DH went to one of Paul's shows on the Maasdam or Volendam, can't remember which, and is a big fan. Purchased his cd. We spent some time with him socially on that cruise and he is a terrific guy and lots of fun. I hope we will run into him again.

Another fan of Paul Tanner here. We also would have drinks with him in the OB, last year and early this year he was sailing regularly on the Zaandam out of Port Canaveral. He and his wife bought a home in Orlando..........jean :cool:

My favorite entertainer is my daughter, Tara, who is a dancer and in the magic show on the Westerdam April - Nov. She was also a dancer on the Statendam March - October 2003. Next tour will be back on Statendam April - Nov '06. 22 years old and seeing the world! ...But, I am a little biased.:)

We also fondly remember JP Nadeau from a Panama Canal cruise in 2000. He had a wild rendition of "The Piano Man" that we requested every night. His CD was titled "Almost Famous". He recently, perhaps 6 months ago, participated in a thread on this board. We also enjoyed Barnaby on the Zuiderdam in 2003.

I loved a jazz flautist Nestor Torres (?) who was on the Westerdam in February.

Actually I was impressed with the whole standard of music on that ship. There was an incredible back up orchestra for the performers with an exceptional sax player who could really jam.

There was a very good trio that played in the Crow's nest before dinner each night too.

When we were on the Oosterdam in the Baltic in 2003 the show troupe was exceptional but there was one show called "Papparazzi" that was just awful - mostly pre-recorded music and stupid effects.

We met the parents of one of the lead singers and that was very interesting. Oh to be young again!

jan

Archived