Breakaway in Nassau, Bahamas (Video) with Quantum & Carnival Magic

DEIx15x8

Hello again, I rarely pop over to this section of the boards, but after every cruise I always post all my photos and videos online. As a ship fan that normally includes many ships beyond what I'm on so I like to share those with their respective communities.

While on the Quantum of the Seas inaugural we were in Nassau, Bahamas with the Carnival Magic and the Norwegian Breakaway. This was a huge day for the industry as it was the first time these three "greatest" designs were together.

We were the last to arrive on the Quantum at about 1pm. The Breakaway and Magic were waiting in port. These are three large ships when lined up next to each other. I was really surprised just how different the Breakaway and Quantum looked though. All through the build process people have said they looked identical but I actually found that the Breakaway and Carnival Magic while not as obvious at first sight, actually shared many more similarities in their design and appearance than Breakaway and Quantum. Since we arrived so late the Breakaway obviously left first so I got to see her sail off into the distance.

I hope you all enjoy the video and pictures!

biDHP_1fFMY

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/115365916503583655211/QuantumOfTheSeasNovember272014NassauBahamas

DSC05694.JPG

DSC05790.JPG

DSC05778.JPG

DSC05817.JPG

DSC05839.JPG

DSC05946.JPG

As a bonus this was actually the second time we saw the Breakaway. With both ships being based in the NYC area we all left on the same day so the Breakaway sailed past us and then we followed her out to sea on the 23rd.

Bayonne Departure Video (a rather short clip of her since we were at the muster drill)

Euoz9P1ZRqk

Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/115365916503583655211/QuantumOfTheSeasNovember232014Embarkation

IMG_0618.jpg

DSC04404.JPG

DSC04528.JPG

I've sailed on both ships. Technically, Breakaway and Quantum are very similar.

• Same Brunvoll bow thrusters with ABB controllers. Albeit Quantum has four 3.5 mw units and Breakaway has three 3 mw units (Quantum has 40% more thruster power).

•Same ABB XO pods with electric steering motors rather than hydraulics. Quantum is also more powerful with 20.5 mw units, compared to Breakaway's 17.5 mw. XO is fairly new and only fitted to a handful of ships at the moment (Breakaway Class, Quantum Class, Celebrity Reflection).

• Nearly identical tank configurations. Typically the builder has control of tank layout, so it's understandable that Meyer basically used the same design for similarly sized ships.

• Same SAM NACOS Platinum navigation system. This is noteworthy because Quantum is the first ship in RCI's fleet fitted with SAM. Their other ships are fitted with Sperry Marine equipment.

• Similar stability characteristics. Both have an average metacentric height calculation (GM) of approximately 4 m.

• Nearly identical two-level laundry operation with first level for washing and drying and second level for folding and dry-cleaning. Quantum and Breakaway share identical JENSEN equipment models.

• Identical crew cabin layouts. Two 1-person rooms sharing a bathroom located between them.

Cabins are also similar with keycard activated lights and electricity, and Breakaway and Quantum also have cabin doors that open outwards into the corridor rather than inwards into the cabin. In passenger areas, there are also a numerous similarities in terms of fittings and furniture. Such similarities are understandable as Quantum and Breakaway were built at the same shipyard at the same time. I'd say Quantum's spaces are finished to a higher level of quality (expected for the extra $300+ million RCI paid), but there's more similarities than you'd think.