Dining Times

Tangoqueen

Hi, last summer we booked a 14 night med cruise opting to pay the Cunard Fare to guarantee our preferred 2nd sitting at dinner. We had a great time and we were lucky enough to do a repeat of the first week on an Autumn cruise booking the cheaper option with no choice of dining times. This was a gamble we were prepared to take as it was the only way at the time of justifying a second cruise and with the nights drawing in etc we thought we could cope with an early sitting if need be. Anyway we were lucky enough to get second sitting and were even given the same table we had in the summer with the same waiters which was a lovely surprise as they remembered us.

It's coming to that time again to consider our options for the summer. We have found the cruise we want and the dates fit in. Our dilemma is whether to book early and pay extra or gamble with dining times again. If it wasn't a huge difference we would just book but as it is likely to be then I must consider everything .

Anyway last summer on board we spoke to a number of people. Many of whom received their preferred sitting, whether that be first or second. Others did not. I do remember speaking to one couple who were given first, wanted second but could not swap at the time but were told they would be able to for the second week if they wished. It was a cruise based in the med with guests boarding at different intervals. However the couple ended up liking their first sitting so didn't in fact swap.

What I am interested in hearing is did the same thing happen to you? Where you able to swap easily enough, did you have to wait til the next change over etc.

Thank you in advance.

I have to say we loved both our cruises.

We did a short trip recently on the QM2 and were allocated early seating. We were first in the queue to see if we could get a change (but would have accepted it if we couldn't or dined in Todd English).

Just as we were walking away, we were called back by the Maitre d' as the next lady wanted to swap her late for early, so it was done very swiftly for us. I suppose it all depends on how many people they have asking to swap as to whether they are able to assist you or not.

On the cheaper fare, if you book second sitting you are more likely to get it than if you book first sitting. The reason as that first tends to be more popular so you have more change of getting second.

I've done both sittings and there's not much to choose between them. We'd always booked second but went on a cruise with friends who had a small child for whom second would be too late so we were of course with them on first sitting and it was fine.

To me, the price savings to be had by booking late far outweighs the choice of dining time. For example, last year we had the same cruise for 50% of the price the previous year. We booked second and decided if we were on first then so be it (because I could have lived with first sitting for a £2,500 saving). You pays your money and you takes your choice. You have to decide if the money you save (which could be considerable) is worth the risk.

Simple solution wait & book a Club cabin on a Saver fare only 1 sitting in club

Hi Zider, I wasn't quite sure how the club dining worked. We enjoy mealtimes and although some experiences have been better than others we do enjoy the social aspect of sharing tales of our day with companions and listening to their adventures. I may be wrong but had the feeling that with the club dining we may get say a table for 8 but people may come and go at different times to each other and if this is the case can't quite see that suiting us and feel I would find it less relaxing. Correct me if I'm wrong, you do have a good point of it being an alternative. Thanks

Hi Zider, I wasn't quite sure how the club dining worked. We enjoy mealtimes and although some experiences have been better than others we do enjoy the social aspect of sharing tales of our day with companions and listening to their adventures. I may be wrong but had the feeling that with the club dining we may get say a table for 8 but people may come and go at different times to each other and if this is the case can't quite see that suiting us and feel I would find it less relaxing. Correct me if I'm wrong, you do have a good point of it being an alternative. Thanks

(not Zider but…)

We found on our TA in June 14 (8 nights) our table of 6 (3 pairs) in Britannia Club naturally settled into a similar dining time after a couple nights. We would arrive at slightly different times generally but usually left together.

It was a little awkward on the first night as we stayed on deck as long as possible without actually missing dinner - so were meeting our dining companions when they had already done the initial meet and greet between the other four. But it worked out fine.

Edited by mariposa777