Disembarkation

Jenjer

We have discovered it goes easier for us to self disembark.

Can anyone tell me approx. what time this starts? Do you have to leave with the earliest people out or can you just walk off with your luggage anytime?

Our flight is out of Newark at 12 so its not like we are trying to make a super early risky flight but I hate trying to find our bags when we can roll them all ourselves.

As the cruise terminals are not restricting access to baggage until each number is called, as they do in Barcelona, for instance, many passengers are leaving the ships earlier than their numbers are called. This is not Quantum or Cape Liberty specific. This causes delays at times. A large percentage of passengers are also choosing self-disembark lately.

Quantum will be cleared within 45 minutes of arrival at the port in most cases.

The lines form onboard after the first numbers called, while passengers move pretty steadily off the ship prior to this.

That means that to get a 'true' self disembarkation, you do need to leave with the first groups prior to any numbers being called. Once numbers are called, you will see all sorts of passengers hit the customs lines that often have numbers that have not yet been called and will be somewhat delayed.

We have discovered it goes easier for us to self disembark.

Can anyone tell me approx. what time this starts? Do you have to leave with the earliest people out or can you just walk off with your luggage anytime?

Our flight is out of Newark at 12 so its not like we are trying to make a super early risky flight but I hate trying to find our bags when we can roll them all ourselves.

We were on the Dec. 12-20 cruise and did what they referred to as the "Self Assist Program" to disembark. We wheeled our luggage down to the Schooners Lounge approximately 6:20 am. They let us go around 6:30 am. We showed our SetSail pass leaving the ship, went through customs and got to our car within 20 minutes. It was a breeze!

On 11/23, the Self Assist program ran from 6:30 to 9:30am.

We did notice on Q that there were a lot of disembarkation numbers. when we got to the pier, we also noticed that there were not as many pieces of luggage surrounding the numbered luggage locations. It made it a lot easier to locate luggage than on previous cruises.

RCI does not control the Custom/Immigration Officers and when we were in line, 2 stations shut down at 8:30am causing a bit of panic on the part of the RCI land staff attempting to get passengers through Customs. Not sure why the Officers left when the ship was still very much in the process of disembarkation.

Worst night of a cruise is the last night. Staff start to show little interest in guests (unless you have tipped them on last night).

In Boleros at 11pm last night, we ordered drinks, bar man says "really? I hope you aren't driving in the morning"! Not that it was any of his business but told him that no we were staying in Manhattan for 2 more days before flying to UK.

Worst morning of a cruise is disembarkation. Despite agreeing a late checkout due to not needing to be anywhere early, (we agreed 10am), and despite a do not disturb sign on door, BANG BANG BANG on the door at 7:15 am. I answer and some moody little Bloke shouts "need to check mini bar"!

I told him my wife was still sleeping and to come back later, "I need to check mini bar" I shut the door.

They love us and then they want shot of us and then when we are pretty much pushed off the ship as if our £3-4k spend really counts for nothing.

Not just RCCL.