Port Canaveral Car Rental

babysea

I am cruising the Norwegian Dawn on 8/29, with a stopover at Port Canaveral. I'd really like to visit one of the theme parks, but the shore excursion is so expensive for what amounts to about six hours at the park. I also have some leftover Disney passes I wouldn't mind using. Is it really possible to disembark at 9:00 am, take a shuttle and rent a car to drive to Orlando for the day? Are d'barking procedures smooth enough to actually get to the rental agency within, say, an hour? Which car rental agency is best/closest? I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this. I want the kids to have a good time without my husband having a stroke in the process. Thanks.

BabySea

BC

We rented a car from Pt Canaveral back to Orlando also. Once getting off the ship, 10 minute drive to Avis, waited in line there about 15 minutes, quick and easy 30 min or so drive to Orlando. Only about $35 for the car.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The closest car rental to Port Canaveral is Budget with Avis being a few more miles down the road. If NCL is in port only for the day, I'm not sure if the rental agencies will have scheduled shuttle service running as they do on normal embark/disembark days. Call ahead and speak directly to the local agent for better details.

Budget

8401 Astronaut Blvd

Cape Canaveral FL 32920-4301

(321) 784-0634

Avis

6650 N Atlantic Ave

Cape Canaveral FL 32920-3804

(321) 783-3643

However, even when they do have shuttles running, it is hit and miss on how quickly you can get to the counter. If the vans are full or they are running only one shuttle, you may have to wait 20-30 minutes for them to retun and pick you up. If time is of the most value, you might just take a cab for the 5-minute ride to Budget or Avis.

Once on the road, it is about a 40-50 minute drive to WDW and Universal, depeding on traffic. Factor in parking lot shuttle time of 10-15 minutes to enter and leave the parks and you will have a good idea how much time is available to tour.

If you are dropping off your car at MCO for the end of your cruise, there shouldn't be any additional charges as long as you make note of it on your reservation.

HTH, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

staceyvols: did youreserve your car in advance with AVIS-- was wondering if it is less expensive to book ahead or as a walk up.

we are looking to go to Universal in June with my teens on Grandeur...

any feedback if you can manage Universal fairly well in a day or was it a bust???

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage to renting either from Avis or Budget? Their prices are pretty similar, but I was wondering if anyone had a good experience (or bad) with one or the other, or if there are any other considerations for the two. Thank you for your help.

• 1 month later...

I took the Nowegian Dawn to Port Canaveral last March. I got off at 9am sharp, took a cab to Thrifty Car Rental ($10) and picked-up a car I reserved for $35. It was a 45 minute drive to Universal Studios. It allowed me to come and go at my leisure. On my way to pick up the car, I got the cab company's number from the diver so I could call them on my cell about 15 minutes before I returned to Thrifty. Took a cab back and relaxed.

SUGGESTIONS: If you go to Universal, buy their speed pass option. It allows to cut most lines and with it you can pretty much do everything you want in the park with the limited time you have.

Hope this helps!

Archived