Getting from EWR to Cape Liberty NJ

We are about to take our first ever (and hopefully first of many) cruises, taking the five nighter from Cape Liberty there&back to Bermuda.

Can anyone tell us what the best (shortest) and alternatively cheapest means to get from Newark Airport (EWR) to Cape Liberty. We are surprised that there is no advertised shuttle bus but perhaps you can tell us if there are and it's a closely guarded secret! We've read the website and have even got a copy of the RCCL brochure but there's no useful information on this topic in there.

We were told by someone in Newark Airport that it is $60/20 minutes by cab from to get to Cape Liberty. This seems to us to be a rip-off?

As we may yet have to fly in to JFK, then if you happen to know, could you advise the best means to get from JFK to Cape Liberty?

Many Thanks, mr&mrspugwash

Last year we flew up a few days early and stayed next to the airport and just booked a car (there was 5 of us) so it was around $75.00, but I do not remember any shuttles unless you book with RCI and use their transfers, I would just take the taxi it is really only about 10-15 minutes if there is no traffic or construction

i am eager to hear others' answers to this also, as we are going on VOS from Bayonne on 9/23. i am putting DH on a mission tomorrow to see what he can find out. i have heard rumors of a free shuttle (ooh, that would be great!). my online TA called RCI, and supposedly, RCI quoted them the RCI shuttle from EWR to the port $20 pp each way. i will post back w/ whatever DH finds!

I believe you will be best off paying the taxi fare from EWR - or definitely the shuttle if RCI offers one. You can get there by alternate means, but, in the end, the amount of time and hassle will easily outweigh any cost savings.

We just came off this 5 day Bermuda cruise today. While exiting the port, I saw just across the street the 34th Street Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Station. So, from EWR, you could take the Airtrain to Newark Penn Station, then the Path to Pavonia-Newport, then the Light Rail to 34th Street in Bayonne. However, it is a Sunday and the trains run much less frequently, and again, doing it this way is just a tremendous hassle - especially hauling luggage. Lastly, although the Light Rail Station is right across the street from the entrance to the port, it's probably about a half mile to a mile from the entrance to the port grounds to where check-in is - so you may still need a cab just to get you across the street to the cruise terminal. If you are an adventurer though - maybe you're up for giving it a try. The same would work from JFK - you'd just take the JFK Airtrain into NYC, catch the Path and then the Light Rail.

http://www.njtransit.com/images/hb_final_1031.gif

Howard

We are sailing on the VOS Oct 2, so thanks for the ideas. We are flying into Newark Oct 2 and after we disembark on Oct 7, we are going to stay an extra night, hopefully in New York as I'm trying to get a special rate at the Ritz in Battery Park. I think the rail is a great option to get into NYC.

I live in Bayonne and all the times I took a cab from EWR airport to my home the fare is $35 per cab plus tolls and tip. It is a set fare at EWR airport, the dispatcher hands you a card to hand to the driver showing your destination.

Now they might charge a few dollars more to go to the pier location because my local cabs within Bayonne charge $5.25 per trip within Bayonne but $8.00 per trip within Bayonne to the pier. (and that's what I'm using to go Sept 4th to Bermuda -- unless one of my kind neighbors offers to drop me off !)

I use the Light Rail personally within the local area but in the case with luggage and it's location and the fact that RCI never did establish a free shuttle from the 34th St light rail station across the highway to the pier and then about 1 mile to the dropoff point for luggage/check in I can tell you don't bother -- it will be more hassle and frustration then it is worth.

If RCI is offering transfers from EWR airport to Cape Liberty then that should be considered -- but then you will be on a bus with others and have to wait for it to fill etc etc. If you are hyper like me and just want to GET THERE then take your own cab (unless $$ is that much of a concern - don't forget -- Time is $$ also so it just depends on your priorities)

I am more than happy to answer questions about the local area, to NY etc etc -- feel free to write me at LindaE3213@aol.com

I'm sailing 9/4-9/9 on the VOS to BERMUDA -- finally ! so I won't be checking my email during that time.

Regards

Linda

Archived