Input needed! Med. vs Caribbean!

Bcshur

Too close to Syria for my comfort.

world-map.gif

Jurop! here be dragons..right? :)

Would be like us Europeans saying we don't want to sail the carribean because it is to close to the unrest in south america...

this post was not ment to ofend anyone, just for fun :)

Edited by Norfindir

Jurop! here be dragons..right? :)

Would be like us Europeans saying we don't want to sail the carribean because it is to close to the unrest in south america...

this post was not ment to ofend anyone, just for fun :)

Well said though - and great illustration :D;)

And to the OP - definitely do the Med. And you can do all the ports DIY MUCH cheaper than ship's excursions and will see some amazing sights on that cruise.

Edited by Bobal

I vote for Med as well.

After many years of cruising with our children, we finally cruised just the two of us in the Med last fall when they both went off to college.

While we had no problem with the kids in Europe, we just didn't get to see as much as we would have liked.

Without the kids, we got to see everything we wanted to.....or at least as much as we could fit in while in port.

As far as the Caribbean......IMO you can find beaches anywhere.

Grab a copy of Rick Steeves Med Ports (or similar), and do it yourself.....you'll save a ton of money, and get to see so much more than a ship's cruise.

...We were on the Navigator, before its dry dock, and we had such little time on the ship, it was no big deal to be on a smaller ship...
When RCI's Song of America debuted in 1982 it was the second largest cruise ship in the world at 37,584GRT. When Navigator of the Seas (138,279GRT) debuted in 2002 there were NO cruise ships larger than her. There are now still only 14 cruise ships in the world larger.

I vote for Med as well.

After many years of cruising with our children, we finally cruised just the two of us in the Med last fall when they both went off to college.

While we had no problem with the kids in Europe, we just didn't get to see as much as we would have liked.

Without the kids, we got to see everything we wanted to.....or at least as much as we could fit in while in port.

As far as the Caribbean......IMO you can find beaches anywhere.

Grab a copy of Rick Steeves Med Ports (or similar), and do it yourself.....you'll save a ton of money, and get to see so much more than a ship's cruise.

We take a Rick Steves book every time we go to Europe. Also join the Roll C

all for your sailing and get together with people to plan private excursions in some of the ports. We do a mix of tours and self-guided exploration on all of our cruises and find that it works out very well.

You guys are the best! Does it make anyone nervous traveling to Turkey? I didn't really think twice of it until I had a few people asking if I really want to go there with all that is going on. Hmmm! I asked the cruise rep. and she said that they do not take their ships to anywhere unsafe, that I knew! But would anyone be scared to travel there, so to speak? I just can't get over this deal!

Not at all. Go! It's beautiful and the people are so nice. Dress appropriately though- wear a skirt/dress and preferably long sleeves. As for the people saying excursions cost a lot- when I did a Mediterranean cruise (Italy, Greece, Croatia, Turkey) I actually did everything on my own other than in Turkey, where I hired a female tour guide (can't remember the company but you can probably find suggestions on cruise critic). Have fun!

Traveling in Europe is safe if you are smart, like everywhere, criminals everywhere look for opportunity!

Stay in groups, travel only with reputable companies, and you'll be fine!

There are good and bad people everywhere, even on your street!:eek:

The money many countries make from cruisers is very important, so keeping bad people away from you is important to them!

For your first trip, a suggestion to make it simplier til you learn the ropes, spend a little extra and go on ship excursions, at least you'll know they'll wait for you!:D

Considering those prices, I would definitely chose the Mediterranian. Your trip must be in April or off season to get such a deal?

I have a similar situation - deciding between 11-day Scandinavia/Russia on the Serenade vs 9-day Bermuda/Caribbean on the Liberty for this coming June, but my prices vary tremendously.

I booked Serenade a few months ago for about $6500 for 3 but airfare is costing another $5000 from California. Liberty is about $5400 now but air is only about $1200. I know they're 2 totally different itineraries but we love cruising and would be happy just about any port a cruiseship will take us. I have been doing a lot of research on Scandinavian ports and am going to be really bummed if we don't go... But the added cost to tour (even DIY) plus the upfront cost of the trip will end up being much higher than the Caribbean itinerary ...

I am giving myself 2 weeks to decide what to do... Any thoughts?

@jazzy- Why not book the other trip and you have till final payment to cancel?

Then start watching for flights religiously to see if they will come down to a price you are content with? Make sure you are checking Choice Air as they seem to be atleast $200 a flight cheaper and last March prices dropped about $400 pp on a flight I was watching to Barcelona for 6 tickets. Saved a good deal of money! Also consider booking inside rooms anything to cut the cost?

@jazzy- Why not book the other trip and you have till final payment to cancel?

Then start watching for flights religiously to see if they will come down to a price you are content with? Make sure you are checking Choice Air as they seem to be atleast $200 a flight cheaper and last March prices dropped about $400 pp on a flight I was watching to Barcelona for 6 tickets. Saved a good deal of money! Also consider booking inside rooms anything to cut the cost?

Great advice! Thank you so much

I actually have a deposit on both (was surprised RCCL let me have 2 bookings for the same time period)... I suppose I can keep them till final date which is sometime in April and watch the prices for flights... Can't do inside due to my claustrophobic tendencies, so I have to keep my somewhat roomier balcony cabins...

You will need to book both B2B. I vote for the Med and then to relax you will come back and do the Caribbean. There is so much to see and do around the Med it is no stop. We have done two Med cruises and felt like we had to come back and take a vacation to rest up.

Do the Med BC, you won't regret it. Then take the kid(s) to the Caribbean in a few years.