Packing cubes

DJSchib

I bought some cubes from TJMaxx but haven't opened to see quality.

Looked at the Eagle Creek site and will purchase a folder, bag to keep toiletries in, packable tote to put my purse, magazines and iPad on for the plane and something else I can't remember. Hoping for good quality. Is this the best site to buy from or would I do better doing a search and maybe getting from Amazon?

Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought some cubes from TJMaxx but haven't opened to see quality.

Looked at the Eagle Creek site and will purchase a folder, bag to keep toiletries in, packable tote to put my purse, magazines and iPad on for the plane and something else I can't remember. Hoping for good quality. Is this the best site to buy from or would I do better doing a search and maybe getting from Amazon?

Debbie

Regarding where to purchase packing cubes -

I have purchased Eagle Creek packing cubes at a discount from Sierra Trading Post. Their inventory may vary as this is a name brand discount retailer with stores in the west and a good web site. (sierratradingpost.com) I have used the Eagle Creek and Rick Steves packing cubes and both work great. Our local AAA office usually stocks both brands. Their are several online luggage retailers that discount name brand travel accessories as well.

I have used Eagle Creek packing cubes for years. I always pack a small one in my hand luggage - I find I can get a complete set of clothes in as well as my flight socks and a pashmina. This keeps everything nice and tidy in my bag. I also use one with a handle for my swimming things and when I go to the pool/beach I can just grab it and know it has everything I need in it.

I have tried cheaper ones and they are good but don't last quite as long as they can start to tear around the zip. I have used my Eagle Creek

for over 10 years!

Yes or no to packing cubes for the suitcases and why??

Thanks!

Debbie

Hi! Debbie,

I love packing cubes, got the Idea from Samantha Brown. Started watching her on the travel channel, great shows about her taking cruises and giving you info....She's also on utube and sells alot of her line on H.S.N. shopping network. So glad you brought this up, someone always has new ideas!!!!

I love my packing folder. Bought an off brand one a few years ago at a discount store, just in case I wouldn't like it--but, I use it all the time when I travel...helps keep my clothes wrinkle-free. I like how it opens up for easy access & has the folding board too.

As far as the packing cubes go, I use those too. Not sure if they save tons of space, but, I like that all my things are separate. When I get to my destination I basically keep everying in cubes in drawers.

I don't always use my cubes (especially on short trips), but, I always use my packing folder.

Thanks for that info ladies. Looking at buying a folder. Bought some cubes from TJ Maxx. Not Eagle Creek but at least will give me an opportunity to try them out for a cheaper price. I did like the cube that you can put dirty clothes in off the site. Decisions decisions

Debbie

I don't think I can survive on our next trip without packing cubes. We are going on two cruises with 2 nights in Ft. Lauderdale in between. After the cruises we are in the UK for 4 nights, then Paris for 5 nights, then home for2 nights, then to our son's home in MI for 4+ nights.

I mean if I couldn't just pack in the cubes and put them in the rolling backpacks for the short stays, leaving the big suitcase with the extra cruise clothes sitting in the hotel room or at the luggage storage place in London, I'd go NUTZ!!!

Edited by pcur

That's good to know. Going to order some EC cubes today/tonight

Anybody use their packable tote when flying ?

Debbie

I have used the Eagle Creek collapsible packable tote when flying. Mine is black and is very lightweight. I take it along with me, all tiny and collapsed, in my suitcase, then open it up and use it for the trip home (always more stuff on the homeward journey.) The tote fits over my rolling luggage handle or can be carried as a shoulder bag.

Oh wow you will be on the go!! Sounds fantastic

Where in Michigan does your son live? I am in northern Michigan

Debbie

He's in Ann Arbor. Works for the UofM. We are going to try and rent a furnished one bedroom apartment for 6 months when we are there, and then come and go several times over that period. We are now convinced he and his wife are not moving back to CA, and I'm tired of not seeing them enough!

Plus, other son goes there in the Fall for football, and he'll have a place to stay.

I just don't like to stay for weeks in someone else's home. No matter how hard you try, it's a "benign invasion" at best.

I bet it feels that way. I am in Traverse City. If you never been here, beautiful area other then winter and snow to visit

Debbie

Looooove Traverse City!! We all went to AA and had a long weekend trip up there in August a few years ago.

If you use cubes, do you use folder as well?

Debbie

Do what is right for what you want to bring and your luggage. We use a combination of cubes, folders, zip locks and other small bags.

Latest packing of DH's suitcase we used one medium packing cube for underwear and bundle-wrapped the long-sleeved shirts and pants. Had the folder ready to be used but 1. was too lazy to fold each individually and 2. was unpacking is a few hours.