OCD Planner's ~ EXPLORER ~ 5 Night Pictorial Review 1/4/15

ace1zoe2

. . . It's been rumored that maybe one will be coming to Texas, if so I'll be on it!

Not rumour, but fact :)

Liberty is moving to Galveston this coming November 1, arrives Nov 13, we'll be on it:D

First cruise out of Galveston is a nine day, then it starts the regular rotation.

Thanks for this review, great job, just read the whole thing:eek:

Not rumour, but fact :)

Liberty is moving to Galveston this coming November 1, arrives Nov 13, we'll be on it:D

First cruise out of Galveston is a nine day, then it starts the regular rotation.

Thanks for this review, great job, just read the whole thing:eek:

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I may have to cash in some rewards points & book another cruise [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cindy

Just read all of this review (and read your previous one in the Med) - fabulous photos and I love the detail you go into.

We're going on Explorer after dry-dock when she comes over to the UK for the summer and I'm going to add the link to this review to our roll call so the others can see what the ship looks like now :)

Carol

Hi Cindy

Just read all of this review (and read your previous one in the Med) - fabulous photos and I love the detail you go into.

We're going on Explorer after dry-dock when she comes over to the UK for the summer and I'm going to add the link to this review to our roll call so the others can see what the ship looks like now :)

Carol

Carol,

Thanks for taking time to post! I appreciate the compliments on the photos. Explorer will be awesome after dry-dock and you will really enjoy your cruise!

Cindy

Thursday was our last Sea Day and we took that opportunity to sleep in and then have a late breakfast. Afterwards we met at 9:35am in front of the Screening Room (movie theater) on Deck 2. Instructions were to wear long pants and closed toed shoes and bring your completed and signed release form... needless to say there is always someone, or 4 in our case, who either can't follow directions, doesn't read the directions or doesn't think that the directions apply them.

The tour was scheduled to be a 3.5 hour walking tour with little or no seating. After about a 15-20 minute delay waiting for 3 people to go back to their cabins to put on long pants, one guy to fill out his form and another lady time to talk the tour guide into letting her wear capris because she only had "long flawy pants that might be more dangerous", we finally got to start our tour. Those of us who could read & follow instructions stood around bored in the mean time.

Capacity for the tour was limited to 15, we had a total of 14. Three women including myself, one teenage boy and the rest were adult males. After a short briefing of what we would be seeing we headed out to see some pretty amazing places that are off limits during the cruise.

Each participant was given a lanyard with the tag show below attached. We were required to wear the lanyard throughout the tour and at the end it was taken up.

IMG_5249_zpsa54675b5.jpg

Most of the places we went were accessed by crew stairways that are quite a bit steeper than the normal public stairways and they are tucked away in narrow places which some you had to duck down to keep from hitting your head. The stairs are all metal and you would definitely need to be in decent shape without any mobility issues in order to take part in this tour.

Our first stop after taking stairs down to the 1st deck, were the laundry facilities. The huge central walkway is referred to as I-95 and goes from the front to the back of the ship. Pretty much everything that comes or goes from the ship travels down this path. There were huge boxes sitting on pallets, there were large open areas to the sides where the rolling luggage carts where lined up to be used later that evening. There were huge boxes line up from a floral company for all the Christmas decorations to be packed up and returned to storage until next season.

IMG_5250_zpsd677cf72.jpg

IMG_5251_zpsea7e98fe.jpg

IMG_5252_zps9694851e.jpg

Our tour guide - I cannot remember her name but she and Erky from Turkey were just married 4 months ago in Ireland after meeting onboard Monarch of the Seas several years ago. Both of them are retiring from ship work in March when Explorer goes to dry dock. They want to start a family and have a normal life. Erky has worked on ships for the past 13 years and told us that he plans to go back to finish he training for his pilot's license.

IMG_5266_zps20b03139.jpg

The laundry facilities were pretty amazing. They not only do all of the sheets, towels, napkins, table clothes but crew laundry, passenger laundry and dry cleaning services.

There are two separate areas for washing. The first one we saw was all manual facilities where they load, unload, put in dryers then folded manually. This is used for clothing. The passenger laundry that comes to them for the bag special is all put in a large mesh bag and tagged and the mesh bags are all thrown into a huge washer, then dryer, then folded and returned.

IMG_5253_zps08fe27ba.jpg

IMG_5256_zps3b643c5a.jpg

IMG_5265_zps53766d4f.jpg

IMG_5254_zpsbba44b4c.jpg

IMG_5255_zpseeea1682.jpg

IMG_5264_zpsb7c42b7d.jpg

The next area was pretty amazing. The crew was using a machine which took in bed sheets which were still a little damp, pressed them dry, put them out the other end of the machine after several up and down movements dropped them on a belt all folded and ready to go back on the room stewards' carts.

IMG_5260_zps8c2bacc5.jpg

IMG_5259_zps241556b3.jpg

IMG_5261_zps9ea3993b.jpg

IMG_5262_zpse639a31e.jpg

IMG_5263_zps1aa84811.jpg

This machine also detected any rips, tears or stains on the sheets and would reject them. Those sheets went into a bin for recycling.

Some of the crew who had been recognized for their service:

IMG_5267_zps05268946.jpg

Next we headed to the Environment Department where the Environmental Officer came and talked to us about everything RCI does in it's Save the Wave program. I don't remember the woman's name but she went to school for 5 years to earn her degree in Environment Safety and had worked for RCI for the past 8 years. She was VERY passionate about her job and what they do to reduce, recycle and reuse everyday waste. She assured us that RCI if very serious about recycling and protecting the seas. Every employee that works for RCI has to buy into the program and goes through a weeks' worth of training on just the Save the Waves program.

IMG_5268_zps23b43285.jpg

Here she is holding a vial of water that has been treated and is "safe enough to drink". This water was originally from the black water tanks and has been through the process of turning it back to clean water. She advised that their water filtration and desalination systems take up an entire deck of the ship from the front to the back.

IMG_5269_zps7cb87c98.jpg

The pallet next to her here contains "non-recyclables" which have been contained during the past few cruises. This ship produces ZERO landfill waste. This pallet will go to a company who will process the scrap without it entering a landfill.

IMG_5270_zps06c9b0b1.jpg

Towards the middle of this picture you will see a pallet at the back which contains scrap metals. It will be sold by the Environment Department for cash.

IMG_5271_zps31ec3250.jpg

This container holds used grease from the kitchens. The company DONATES this to the Haitian people to be used as fuel to heat their homes.

IMG_5272_zps644bfc8d.jpg

There were huge bags and containers of broken glass & bottles and each was separated by the color of the glass.

IMG_5273_zps589c0f16.jpg

IMG_5274_zps94589174.jpg

IMG_5275_zps09debb1a.jpg

IMG_5274_zps94589174.jpg

Next we moved into a freezer that they use to store some of the recyclables to prevent fruit flies and bacteria from forming. Here they stored the aluminum cans, tin cans, water bottles, broken china and more.

This pallet of aluminum drink cans will weigh 4,000 pounds when they sell it. Each "brick" weighs 50 pounds.

IMG_5276_zps571909b2.jpg

Just behind that last picture you can see the huge plastic bags full of plastic water bottles which they also sell back.

This container holds tin cans, mostly from the kitchen.

IMG_5277_zps13efc3b5.jpg

IMG_5278_zpsd993aba5.jpg

IMG_5279_zps52d5753d.jpg

IMG_5280_zpsec354266.jpg

Continuing on, our next area to see was the crew public areas. It's sort of like a mini-passenger area reserved just for the employees. We saw the bar & dancing area, the computer area, the gaming area and the outdoor area. We did not see the dining area, their "shopping" area or their living accommodations.

IMG_5281_zps2569d2d6.jpg

IMG_5283_zpsa21059f0.jpg

IMG_5284_zps17434576.jpg

The outdoor "party" area for the crew is at the very back of the ship and features a bar, seating areas & gaming areas.

IMG_5285_zps0eef733e.jpg

And they have the BEST VIEW OF THE WAKE on the entire ship!

IMG_5286_zps6b4beabb.jpg

The sides are really high, like armpit high. I had to hold my camera out over the back and just take this picture without seeing down... it almost made me sick when I look at it now. The raging waters seem so close...

IMG_5287_zps3b89173d.jpg

During this part of the tour the HR director came by and told us a little bit about the staff's life onboard, the working hours, the "tours of duty" contract times, the dining areas, the crew cabins, etc. If was very interesting and informative.

After this area we took a back way into the galley on deck 4. The chef came in and explained to us what we were seeing and how the way your order goes from being taken by your waiter to the kitchen and is processed. Again this was really interesting and it would have been nice to have more than 15-20 minutes to take it all in. They had prepared champagne with strawberries and a dessert bite for each of us but because we were running behind we didn't have time to stop to enjoy it. The tour director just told them no thanks and on we went!

IMG_5288_zps8b529b41.jpg

IMG_5289_zps494cf846.jpg

IMG_5290_zpsa4452bf5.jpg

Here was the beginning of the Champagne that we ALMOST got to enjoy!

IMG_5291_zpscc0aecd0.jpg

This guy was preparing patties for the "Sliders" which would be on the lunch menu today and then cooking them.

IMG_5294_zps5fc5a15a.jpg

IMG_5293_zpsd380121e.jpg

The drink station:

IMG_5297_zpsa76117e4.jpg

More prep work for lunch:

IMG_5298_zps6f1f6570.jpg

Gigantic soup pots for the soups of the day:

IMG_5299_zpseac64293.jpg

A peek into one of the walk in freezers:

IMG_5300_zps26fa0ed2.jpg

The dishwashing station:

IMG_5301_zps118d435f.jpg

The salad prep area. You would think, with the number of salads and such that they serve, that this would be a huge production area!

IMG_5302_zpsdff6f93d.jpg

And according to the chef leading our tour, this is where the magic happens. Where all the deserts are created and plated.

IMG_5304_zps2da6f716.jpg

IMG_5303_zps08bdfebf.jpg

Here are a few kitchen facts for Explorer of the Seas:

19,000 meals prepared PER DAY!

During each week the Explorer goes through:

63,000 desserts

49,000 appetizers

8,000 steaks

1,900 pounds of beef

1,800 pounds of chicken

1,700 pounds of pork

3,500 pounds of lobster

10,500 pounds of seafood

3,800 pounds of salmon

75,000 fresh eggs

24,000 pounds of flour

4,300 pounds of sugar

1,500 pounds of coffee

40,000 pounds of fresh fruit

64,000 pounds of fresh vegetables

1,400 quarts of ice cream

600 pounds of fresh berries

1,200 gallons of milk

4,200 containers of yogurt

5,800 pounds of cheese

Every 7 days! Amazing.

After the galley we had to go through a security check just like when you get pulled aside as the airport. Everyone got checked with the security wand, and if needed, patted down. The engine control room and bridge were next in line. Our tour was split in to 3 separate groups with 5 in the 1st two groups and 4 in the last group. Each group went one at a time accompanied by our tour guide and 2 security officers into the Control Room. The rest of the group had to wait out in the hall near the medial facility and be "babysat" by Erky from Turkey.

We were in the first group. The engine rooms themselves are off limits to everyone other than engine crew. We were allowed to take as many pictures as we liked throughout the All Access Tour but no videoing at anytime during the entire tour.

The crew in the Control Room explained what they did and then answered any questions that we might have. They work 4 hour shifts and watch the monitors 24/7.

IMG_5305_zps1f62ac2b.jpg

IMG_5306_zps95c37b96.jpg

IMG_5307_zpse46d4e4d.jpg

I guess that I really never thought about it before but I assumed Deck One was was the bottom deck... not so. There are 4 other decks below.

IMG_5308_zps25e41801.jpg

IMG_5309_zpsfbc818bc.jpg

During our time waiting in the hall with Erky from Turkey is when we learned about the medial emergency that had happened on Day 2 at Coco Cay and about how he met his wife and about their future plans. We were allowed to ask as many questions as we liked. We also learned that there are sides to ship life employment. Some people work for the Marine Side and others work for the Hotel Side. You can tell the difference in the stripes of their uniforms which side they work for. Anything related to the ship, engines, mechanical, maintenance, etc. would be the ship side. Anything to do with passengers, food, laundry, staterooms, etc. is the hotel side.

There were also questions asked that I already knew from previous posts on Cruise Critic, like is there a morgue, is there a brig, what happens in a medical emergency, etc.

Edited by ace1zoe2

Around 11:30 we took the elevator up to deck 10 to do the Bridge Tour. We all went in at the same time for this tour with explicit instructions that "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE WE TO TOUCH THE RED BUTTON"

The bridge spans the full width of the ship with areas that jet out to each side that the staff can see the length of the ship and control the ship from there in order to dock or exit the port area. There is a huge seating area with couches which kind of surprised me. And there are giant windshield wipers on the front windows.

IMG_5312_zps36cd8cfc.jpg

IMG_5313_zps2e69765b.jpg

IMG_5310_zps8c79e8a6.jpg

These were sitting right behind the navigation center. Guess they are the mascots.

IMG_5315_zps8ad68bb3.jpg

The captain came in just before noon to do his Update from the Bridge. Captain Rick Sullivan is very personable and seems to have a great sense of humor. We also learned during our tour that the lady and teenage boy where the wife & son of the 2nd officer. They had been on board for the past two sailings to spend time with him.

IMG_5316_zps12369f45.jpg

The 2nd officer conducted our tour and answered all of our questions.

There was a great view of the helipad from the Bridge.

IMG_5319_zps486fcf56.jpg

After the bridge we took the elevator down to deck 3 where we entered the theater and got to sit down for almost 5 whole minutes! Then we were invited up on stage to get a view from the other side looking out.

IMG_5320_zps8fe02ef5.jpg

I have to apologize here folks. I did not take but two pictures during this part of the tour. We had previously done the Entertainment Tour aboard another cruise as a Diamond amenity and as such had already heard and seen how it all works. It was very interesting the first time around and I took tons of pictures then but not this time around. If you are interested in seeing the pictures you can find similar ones in my Navigator After Dry Dock Pictorial Review which is linked in my signature. They begin on page 36 post 705. If you don't have signatures turned on, here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41651542&highlight=theater#post41651542

The only other picture I took during this portion was when they let down one of the back drops.

IMG_5321_zps8aec20e9.jpg

During the tour the theater manager explained how everything works from lights, to sound, to staging, to props, to back drops and more. Then we went behind stage and one of the dancers explained how the singers and dancers rehearse, fit and repair their costumes, change within a minute to other outfits, showed us the area they have to do everything in, in very little time. During their performances the ice performers come up and help them with costume changes. During the ice shows the singers and dancers go down to Studio B and work behind the scenes helping them with their wardrobe changes. I thought that was pretty interesting, something I'd never thought about before.

Our tour ended in Studio B behind the scenes with the Ice Rink manager conducting this portion of the tour and answering questions. Again it was neat to see things from this side of the theater.

IMG_5326_zpsa1fc29b2.jpg

IMG_5324_zps301ce084.jpg

IMG_5327_zps5b730426.jpg

The are behind the scenes is very small. They lay out their costumes on the chairs stacked one on top of the other so they are ready to get in & out of without taking their skates off.

We exited Studio B and returned to the Screening Room to end our tour. Everyone handed in our lanyard and All Access Tour pass and each of us received a burlap bag with an apron inside.

When we returned home & I unpacked our bags I found that each burlap bag had TWO aprons inside. So now myself, 2 daughters & daughter in law all have a new apron thanks to RCI!

IMG_5431_zps2e5a3f0d.jpg

IMG_5433_zpsa4a15c97.jpg

We enjoyed the tour very much but were exhausted afterwards. It was interesting to see all the "behind the scenes" things that we all take for granted sailing on the passenger side of the ship. I wished we would have had longer in the galley and wish we would have had lunch at the end of the tour.

Maybe on a future cruise I will purchase a cookbook in order to receive the "Galley Tour" :)

Up next is the Ice Show! But that's it for tonight. I'm about to head out to dinner with the family to celebrate starting down the backside of the hill ;)

Until then, Happy Sails!

Cindy

Edited by ace1zoe2

Wow, what a great review of your tour! It looked like it was really interesting. You really got to see a variety of things. I think I would have enjoyed the galley and the entertainment portion, my husband would love to see that bridge. By the way, what was the red button?

Also, I'm intrigued now about some other things you mentioned, like is there a morgue? A brig?

Interesting about Erky as well. We got a kick out of he and Leigh. In fact we all put comments in the box which they read on the last morning of 'talking turkey with Leigh and Erky.' My kids had heard somewhere that Leigh is also married to someone on the ship. One of the ice skaters maybe?

Thanks again for sharing!

Cindy' date=' thank you so much for taking the time to do this review. It's always so much fun to read your reviews.

We will be sailing on the Explorer in May and I really appreciate you including the likely changes she will go through after her refurb.[/quote']

Kevin's Girl,

Thanks for the compliments. I really enjoy doing it. Keep in mind that I've seen no public announcements of planned upgrades, I'm solely basing it on the changes that were made to Navigator of the Seas which we sailed the first cruise after dry dock.

Have a great cruise!

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, what a great review of your tour! It looked like it was really interesting. You really got to see a variety of things. I think I would have enjoyed the galley and the entertainment portion, my husband would love to see that bridge. By the way, what was the red button?

Also, I'm intrigued now about some other things you mentioned, like is there a morgue? A brig?

Interesting about Erky as well. We got a kick out of he and Leigh. In fact we all put comments in the box which they read on the last morning of 'talking turkey with Leigh and Erky.' My kids had heard somewhere that Leigh is also married to someone on the ship. One of the ice skaters maybe?

Thanks again for sharing!

The red buttons(s) stops the ship such as for an emergency. I think they said one button tops the engine, one reverses the engines, etc.

Yes, there is a morgue. I actually knew this from our Canadian cruise. We had someone offloaded when we reached Maine, they had passed away a day or two before. I hear that on TransAtlantic cruises that it's not uncommon to have several deceased passengers due to the older age of the passengers and the length of the cruise... hey, if it's my time to go, what better place than at sea?

Yes, there is a brig. It's very small & tight quarters according to Erky and they aren't afraid to lock people up in it.

I'm not sure about Leigh. I'll have to keep reading & see if I can figure out if he is also married to a crew member :)

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We exited Studio B and returned to the Screening Room to end our tour. Everyone handed in our lanyard and All Access Tour pass and each of us received a burlap bag with an apron inside.

Cindy

Did the equivalent tour on Radiance last September, we got to keep our lanyards and passes but didn't receive any bags or aprons so I think you got the better deal :D

I'm about to head out to dinner with the family to celebrate starting down the backside of the hill ;)

Until then, Happy Sails!

Cindy

Is it your birthday, or someone in your family? If it is yours, I want to wish you a "Happy Birthday". And if it is someone else, I wish them the same.

Still following along on your awesome review. Loved the pics of your All Access Tour. Really looks interesting. If we ever have a big amount of OBC, I would seriously think of doing that tour.

Thanks again for all the time you are taking in doing this review. Greatly appreciated.

Gwen :)

Great Review. I cried when I was reading about the couple in Portofino, as did my former Marine, husband............

Will be sailing on her this Sat with 5 girlfriends, so really enjoyed the pictures and the menus.

Could you make Portofino reservations ahead of time?

Helaine