MahJongg Sets?

bloomcruisers

I've seen groups of women playing MahJongg on previous celebrity cruises but never thought to ask them if they brought their own sets or does the ship have sets that can be borrowed out.

Does anyone know if Celebrity ships, Solstice in particular, have MahJongg sets available for passenger use?

We've been on 8 celebrity cruises and have been able to check out sets from the front desk. They are complete for the mist part, may need to use seasons as jokers or flowers. We take our cards, and always find others who want to play.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014

and go on your Roll Call and you may find other players. I have always found "sets" on board...they are just too heavy to take on board...and the ""Travel Sets" are not that great...IMO!!!

It you can't find others via the R/C then a "sign up sheet" in the card room/game room may be available for you to search for other players...

A funny note....we were just on the Eclipse for the holiday cruise and a family from China/Japan or ??? came by and said "Oh...they are playing "Jewish" Mah Jongg"....pretty funny considering we call it "Chinese Mah Jongg"...it is a fun game...no matter how you play it...don't you think??? LuAnn

We've been on 8 celebrity cruises and have been able to check out sets from the front desk. They are complete for the mist part, may need to use seasons as jokers or flowers. We take our cards, and always find others who want to play.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014

and go on your Roll Call and you may find other players. I have always found "sets" on board...they are just too heavy to take on board...and the ""Travel Sets" are not that great...IMO!!!

It you can't find others via the R/C then a "sign up sheet" in the card room/game room may be available for you to search for other players...

A funny note....we were just on the Eclipse for the holiday cruise and a family from China/Japan or ??? came by and said "Oh...they are playing "Jewish" Mah Jongg"....pretty funny considering we call it "Chinese Mah Jongg"...it is a fun game...no matter how you play it...don't you think??? LuAnn

Thanks to you both,

We already have a group on our roll call for an upcoming Australia/New Zealand cruise who were talking about playing, but didn't want to have to haul MahJongg sets down under. Knowing that all we need to take are the cards means that we will be able to play and can plan accordingly.

If you are playing with a card and using jokers, you are playing American (or Jewish) mah jong. Chinese mah jong is an entirely different game, played with no card, similar to gin rummy. There are many people playing Chinese mah jong on all cruises, and they always seem curious to watch when we are playing American mah jong. I learned how to play Chinese mah jong recently on the Constellation from a group of Chinese ladies who were playing on a sea day. It is much easier to learn than American mah jong, but still alot of fun.:D

I've seen groups of women playing MahJongg on previous celebrity cruises but never thought to ask them if they brought their own sets or does the ship have sets that can be borrowed out.

Does anyone know if Celebrity ships, Solstice in particular, have MahJongg sets available for passenger use?

One year it was a nightmare getting and keeping a set for MahJongg with the card.(this was on celebrity)

Ever since, I have taken my own set. Split the racks and tiles in my and my husbands luggage. No big deal, and so nice not to have to worry about "getting" a set.

I plan on bringing my set for our Japan to Vancouver cruise in April.

Helaine

I was able to get one on All ships in celebrity fleet I've been on. If they are n the car from - check to see if complete set. If checking them out from front desk- you can keep entire length of cruise. Just return on the last day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Eclipse Dec. 7 to 21. We had several people who played regularly in the afternoon, especially on sea days. Yes, you need to be certain the set is complete. There were several cases of sets in the card room. One of our group checked a set to be sure it was full and then kept it until the end of the cruise. That way we were sure it was always complete. Some of the women preferred to pay for money, but other days we played for 'fun'. I did find a few people were a little aggressive in attitude while I enjoy the game as a social event. We did range in experience from newbies to "pros."

Check your roll call, you may find some players before you board. We did place a list in the card room with names and cabin numbers so we could contact each other.

P.S. The card by the customer service desk said "Library" but we played in the card room.

I have also played in Quisine when other venues are full. On The last TA on Reflection there were at least 50 people playing all over the ship, including outside at tables. There were all levels of players, some more "serious" players than others. I stay away from playing for money as it sometimes becomes too competitive.:eek: