Good Old Carnival.

Midwestgal

I do wish you didn't have to pay for a burger at Johnny Rockets on Allure as to where Guy's are free .

The service charge at Johnny Rocket's is more because you're dining at a sit down restaurant with waiter service, even if you're being served a burger compared to Guy's counter/fast food style service. We boycotted Johnny Rockets the first few days when we sailed on the Allure, but eventually gave in. The milkshakes and onion rings were soooooo worth it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The service charge at Johnny Rocket's is more because you're dining at a sit down restaurant with waiter service, even if you're being served a burger compared to Guy's counter/fast food style service. We boycotted Johnny Rockets the first few days when we sailed on the Allure, but eventually gave in. The milkshakes and onion rings were soooooo worth it. :)

I'm sure I'll be indulging , I hear it a good breakfast place and thats free of charge.

Edited by Midwestgal

How in the world did this happen? Is this for like an inside room? I guess I am a balcony snob and only price those rooms, but every time I have priced a cruise the Grandeur is always at least twice as much for a balcony room over the Pride. Of course the Pride does seem to have a lot more balcony rooms. I tried to book a last minute cruise on the Grandeur over Thanksgiving week and it was twice as much as a mini-suite on the NCL Breakaway out of NYC. That's a relatively new ship. The Grandeur was actually the same price that week as the Quantum was, and it was the Quantum's Maiden Voyage. I went with the Breakaway. I have always found RCL's prices for that ship to be obscene. It's an old ship. I pass it every week, and the Pride actually looks like it's much nicer from the outside (The Pride is pretty ugly on the inside). The ship caught fire a couple years ago. I could see paying a slight premium to sail on RCL's Oasis, Allure, or Quantum. Those ships are like Disney World at Sea, but I just don't know where they get off with their prices for their older ships.

As to the OP's topic. Like it or not, Carnival seems to have a reputation of being a booze cruise and a lower class line. It's an opinion held by many people that have never sailed on it. I don't like stuffiness, and I'm certainly not going on vacation to judge people. My first cruise was on the Celebrity Millennium when that was a new ship, and I hated it. I never thought I would ever cruise again, but I got a ridiculous deal on the Pride out of Baltimore and needed to just get away from everything for a week. I had a great time. NCL is my favorite line, but I have no issue with Carnival. It is up to their marketing team to change Carnival's low class perception. If I were them, I would take those older ships that run short cruises, and do tend to be party boats, and make a whole new line out of them, or tie them in with AIDA.

I don't know but yeah- CRAZINESS. Pride lead prices via a certain cruises sale website (that I did not book with but is an easy way to check multiple lines at once) for an 8 day on Dec 26-

Inside from

$1099

$137 per day

OceanView from

$1219

$152 per day

Balcony from

$1289

$161 per day

Suite from

$1969

$246 per day

Vs The Grandeur 10 day, Dec 27-

Inside from

$877

$88 per day

OceanView from

$1019

$102 per day

Balcony from

$1828

$183 per day

Suite from

$2196

$220 per day

We got an OV and an inside across form eachother (teens) Had we gotten a balcony it would have cost more on Grandeur.

ETA we actually got an even better deal than listed because of military rate, both lines offered it but Grandeur was again less.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

Be sure to make reservations in advance for the shows on those big ships. On Oasis, we were only able to see the outdoor dive show and managed to get into 1 comedy show by waiting at the door to see if someone was a no show. It was a bit frustrating because we didn't want to make advance reservations when we had not even gotten on the ship. They are however, necessary. After all, the venues can't possibly seat everyone that shows up. Never even saw the ice skating rink. The shows were always booked and it seemed like every time we went by there during the day, they were rehearsing. Oasis is a beautiful ship & I'm sure Allure is every bit as beautiful. Service on Oasis was good as well.

I'm sure I'll be indulging , I hear it a good breakfast place and thats free of charge.

Our cabin was in the Boardwalk area so we had breakfast at JR a few times since it was closer to our cabin. Nice and leisurely. Little known secret the first few days of the cruise as it was empty. Better than fighting crowds at the Windjammer.

Edited by Tapi

I don't know but yeah- CRAZINESS. Pride lead prices via a certain cruises sale website (that I did not book with but is an easy way to check multiple lines at once) for an 8 day on Dec 26-

Inside from

$1099

$137 per day

OceanView from

$1219

$152 per day

Balcony from

$1289

$161 per day

Suite from

$1969

$246 per day

Inside from

$877

$88 per day

OceanView from

$1019

$102 per day

Balcony from

$1828

$183 per day

Suite from

$2196

$220 per day

We got an OV and an inside across form eachother (teens) Had we gotten a balcony it would have cost more on Grandeur.

ETA we actually got an even better deal than listed because of military rate, both lines offered it but Grandeur was again less.

The RCI prices look standard before taxes and port fees. The Pride prices appears high, are these ES or full fares sun select quotes? Could the RCI prices go down before sailing? I know CCL's are likely too.

You should go RCI based on these fees.

We've been on 3 Carnival cruises, good service the only thing lacking was the food options on Lido deck, entertainment was better on non 2.0 ships, we booked an Alaskan cruise in the Aqua class on the Soltice, we booked the 123 promotion, the one difference I find between Carnival and RCI is the drink package on Royal/Celebrity is the package is it includes pop, beer and alcohol where is Carnival you have to buy it seperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked Celebrity, the one thing I heard with Celebrity is the food is top notch, service outstanding, one thing I noticed when we sailed on the Valor is we had an OS you don't get many benefits with it. With the AQ you get so much more benefits, don't get me wrong I like Carnival but I think if your paying extra for a suite you should get a little more perks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After 11 cruises on Carnival we wanted to try something different. We were tired of the same shows, same food, same jokes.... We found a great price on RC Freedom of the Seas and sailed this past Fall. The only real WOW that I experienced was when we boarded the ship. Unlike any ship I have ever been on or seen. Other than that I found the 2 cruise lines more similar than different.

The food was good in the buffet and MDR, but Carnival's was better (at least it used to be...the last few cruises their food wasn't so good)

RCI has a live Calypso band playing by the pool and live entertainment in bars/lounges all over the ship.

The Solarium blows Carnival's Serenity deck away. The hot tubs were HOT, and the pool 8 feet deep in the deep end with a swim up bar.

I found Royal to feel less crowded. While there were more people on board, there are so many bars, lounges, etc, that the ship never felt crowded. It's hard to describe, but maybe like walking around the mall before it opens. The only crowd we ever experienced was when they had the "sidewalk sale" on the promenade.

The fellow guests were much nicer on Royal than we experienced on our last few Carnival cruises. While we always meet and hang out with nice people on every cruise, there was a lot less pushing & shoving than we are used to on Carnival.

The staff on both lines is equally friendly in my opinion. I will say that our room steward on Royal was much friendlier than any we've ever had in Carnival.

Cigar Bar for smokers. Yes, on Royal you are allowed to smoke in the cigar bar.

More free food options on Carnival. We did miss Guys and the Blue Iguana and even the pizza. Royal needs to learn how to make pizza.

Coffee is better on Royal. Our ship had a Starbucks and it was included in the drink package.

No limit on drinks in the drink package on Royal.

Bottom line is I like both lines. I will sail both again. I'll probably stick with Carnival if I want a 3 or 4 day cheap getaway and Royal for weeklong cruises in the future. While I love Carnival, there was just something about the atmosphere on Royal that made me feel more comfortable...more cozy.

PS - my next cruise is actually on neither line but on the NCL Escape. I have to experience the first Margaritaville at sea!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Be sure to make reservations in advance for the shows on those big ships. On Oasis, we were only able to see the outdoor dive show and managed to get into 1 comedy show by waiting at the door to see if someone was a no show. It was a bit frustrating because we didn't want to make advance reservations when we had not even gotten on the ship. They are however, necessary. After all, the venues can't possibly seat everyone that shows up. Never even saw the ice skating rink. The shows were always booked and it seemed like every time we went by there during the day, they were rehearsing. Oasis is a beautiful ship & I'm sure Allure is every bit as beautiful. Service on Oasis was good as well.

They do hold back reservations and you can go to Entertainment Place and reserve your shows after boarding. My DS surprised us at port and they had no reservations for anything. We did this and they were able to reserve for all the same times as us. I really think many people don't even know this can be done. ;)

The Allure and Oasis are destinations. If you see a good price, go for it. No matter what port you visit, you will be "wowed" by the ship ;)

We booked Liberty of the Seas for the ship; the ports were secondary. We loved Adventure of the Seas so much when we sailed her in 2006. Sadly, not so with Liberty of the Seas.

Oh I am! I booked it already.

I have noticed Carnivals holiday sailing rates seem like a bigger hike than some other cruiselines- thats not to complain, we cruised Carnival over Christmas this time and we had a blast-they really made it festive, but 8 days more expensive than 10 days over the same holiday? That was an easy decision for me for next year!

The RCI prices look standard before taxes and port fees. The Pride prices appears high, are these ES or full fares sun select quotes? Could the RCI prices go down before sailing? I know CCL's are likely too.

You should go RCI based on these fees.

I agree with you there and I haven't even cruised yet. Our last two cruises the shows weren't very good with the exception on one show on Breeze. Looking forward to something new . I think there's pro's and con's on all lines as well as ships. I do wish you didn't have to pay for a burger at Johnny Rockets on Allure as to where Guy's are free. It's going to be interesting to see the differences .

While not a Guy's burger you can get free burgers at the Wipeout Cafe on Allure and the roast beef sandwiches at Park Cafe were delish. Ate there 4 times..

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Have sailed both and love both. We have more Carnival (Platinum) and since Carnival was our first cruise we will always have a soft spot in our hearts for them. We have sailed all classes of RCI except the Oasis class which we plan to do. Remember, your worst day on a cruise is better than your best day at work!:)

Have sailed both and love both. We have more Carnival (Platinum) and since Carnival was our first cruise we will always have a soft spot in our hearts for them. We have sailed all classes of RCI except the Oasis class which we plan to do. Remember, your worst day on a cruise is better than your best day at work!:)

On this we disagree unless you really hate your job.:)

Bill

Inside from

$1099

$137 per day

OceanView from

$1219

$152 per day

Balcony from

$1289

$161 per day

Suite from

$1969

$246 per day

Inside from

$877

$88 per day

OceanView from

$1019

$102 per day

Balcony from

$1828

$183 per day

Suite from

$2196

$220 per day

Wow! My last cruise on the Pride (about 10 months ago) I paid 599 for a balcony. I know New Years week is expensive, but I hope Carnival doesn't think they can raise prices that much because they threw a burger joint and a movie screen on the ship. I'll continue to suck it up and pay the ridiculous parking fees to cruise on NCL out of New York.

After having sailed exclusively on Carnival for 11 cruises, my wife and I decided to try Royal.

I too was expecting to experience this alleged "WOW" factor. This alleged more "Refined" demographic. This alleged " Superior" customer service.

Our sailing was on the Freedom of the Seas.

We experienced no WOW or Superior service. We did experience pompous demographics. Not everyone everywhere, but with Diamond Club, Consierge Service, reserved seating, etc., I found there were a lot of people with a high level of self importance.

The crew members worked very hard, the ship was a joy, the activities were great,,,,,, differences?? Yes. Superior product as compared to Carnival?? No

I agree 100%. Had it been raining on our Adventure of the Seas cruise, half of the people would have drowned because their noses were so high in the air. We tried it once and vowed before we got off the ship that we'd never do RCL again. And it wasn't just us. There were a lot of people saying it.

Have cruised both. Royal has much more options for music and night time entertainment, and overall I find the ships easier to navigate, less lines and a more overall refined feeling (difficult to describe). Carnival has better sized standard rooms.

It comes down to this: I derive value out of getting what I pay for. I stopped feeling like I was getting what I paid for with Carnival. I feel like I get what I pay for with Royal. There are a number of cutbacks at Royal that don't thrill me honestly, but the overall value is still there for me.

Many will say Royal is a lot more expensive. I have not found that to be the case, but we stay in standard rooms, not suites (where Royal can get very expensive).

I like the food on both but I am not picky, I am adventurous and will try new things and haven't had any really bad meals on either.

Well said!

It will be interesting to see if the price diffrence is worth it . Going on Allure I knew it would be more money simply due to all the fun things going on ....it's a destination all in it's self.

We paid $1,300 + change for a D2 on the hump balcony with a $100.00 pp OBC.

This is for Feb 21, 2016. Seems a little high but it's what we want.

As someone who has enjoyed cruising on Carnival but has decided to give Royal a try for 2016 I've been on their boards and I'm now scratching my head as to why RC cruisers talk bad about Carnival.

I read mostly how the food ion RC is bad and all the things you don't get due to cutbacks. I never had a bad cruise on Carnival just some better then others so it will be interesting when I sail on the Allure so I can make that comparison for myself.

With all their prior boasting about how superior RC is to Carnival makes me wonder how many of them have ever even cruised Carnival. I do understand the old saying " what one person loves another will hate " but Royal isn't sounding like it's so great.

I may be too inexperienced, too young, or too naive, but here's my take.

I'm 25 years old. Had my first cruise last year on Vision of the Seas and loved it! So much that I was able to talk the husband into a cruise for this years vacation. As you can see by my signature, we'll be sailing Carnival this year. Why? Not because we believe Royal gave us an inferior product, but because they didn't offer an itinerary that fit our budget and schedule for this year whilst Carnival did. There were complainers on my ship (past Carnival guests bemoaning the lack of stateroom amenities and water slides), and whiners as well (past Royal guests declaring the food inedible) I found the food good. I also found out by doing a tiny bit of research on my ship that A.) It did not have any waterslides, nor many other bells and whistles because it was a 16 year old ship and B.) That unlike Carnival, free toiletries and pillow chocolates were not provided. Thus I prepared accordingly. I feel perhaps they should try another line and see if their needs can be better met. And if not, then they can return to "the demon they know", as it were.

I agree 100%. Had it been raining on our Adventure of the Seas cruise, half of the people would have drowned because their noses were so high in the air. We tried it once and vowed before we got off the ship that we'd never do RCL again. And it wasn't just us. There were a lot of people saying it.

That type of person sails every line. Even Carnival. :)

Remember, your worst day on a cruise is better than your best day at work!:)

I can't even remember the last time I had a bad day at work. I just walk around and take pics of empty houses. Not much to dislike, and an occasional run in with a surly neighbor just makes the day that much better. ;):)