Which cruise should we do? (2 Carnival and 1 Princess choice)

We have been on a few Carnival cruises and have the Oasis of the Seas booked for this summer. We just decided we want to do a spring break cruise as well. Trying to keep it cheap since most of our budget is going to our summer cruise, we have narrowed it down to another Carnival cruise or this. Is Princess really nicer than Carnival? Is the Caribbean Princess a good representation of Princess? We've been to Grand Cayman before, but I wasn't feeling well and stayed on the ship. We've never been to Roatan or Princess Cay. Their isn't much of a price difference, especially considering we get a $100 on board credit with the Princess cruise. The Carnival cruises we are looking at are a 6 day Carnival Breeze (been wanting to try that ship, but the itinerary isn't as nice), or the Carnival Paradise 5 day (love this little ship and it's closer to home) for $184 less (plus $30 on board credit), but it's only 5 days and we have done this cruise before...it's just so convenient to home and we like the ports. Not sure if it makes any difference, but we would be going the first week in April and booking an inside cabin...on the Paradise we would get a porthole. The Carnival site says their sales end tonight so we feel rushed to make a decision.

You didn't say how many days for the Princess cruise or the complete itinerary for any of the cruises. I'd always opt for the longest cruise. If the Princess price is comparable, why not try it? That way you'd try two new (to you) lines this year. You'd have a great basis for comparison for future cruises.

I never been on princess but was to by a friend that it is more upscale. She also stated she liked the food better. She do feel carnival had more activities. I have only sailed Carnival and loved every minute of it. I do have to say I'm looking to cruise ports I never have, so I'm booked for April 4 on Valor to Aruba, Bonaire as well as grand Turk. Are you cruising with Children? They may have more activities on Carnival, after all it is the Fun ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't say how many days for the Princess cruise or the complete itinerary for any of the cruises. I'd always opt for the longest cruise. If the Princess price is comparable, why not try it? That way you'd try two new (to you) lines this year. You'd have a great basis for comparison for future cruises.

Good point!

Caribbean Princess 7 day western (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel and Princess Cay) Never been to Roatan and was sick while in Grand Cayman. + $184 (although it comes with a $100 credit so most of that is offset)

Carnival Breeze 6 day western (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel) Never been to Ocho Rios, although we are going to Falmouth this summer on the Oasis. Would love to try this ship! +189

Carnival Paradise 5 day Western (Grand Cayman and Cozumel) Been on this before and had a blast, also closest to home and cheapest, can also get a porthole. We've never stayed in a dark inside cabin before, not sure if I would like one... (has a $30 on board credit)

I never been on princess but was to by a friend that it is more upscale. She also stated she liked the food better. She do feel carnival had more activities. I have only sailed Carnival and loved every minute of it. I do have to say I'm looking to cruise ports I never have, so I'm booked for April 4 on Valor to Aruba, Bonaire as well as grand Turk. Are you cruising with Children? They may have more activities on Carnival, after all it is the Fun ship!

Nope, no kids this cruise! :D

We looked at that cruise as well, but eliminated it because it was the most expensive and we have spent a week in Aruba. (Loved it!!!) Plus it returns on a Sunday and I have to be at work Monday morning, otherwise it was a top contender. I'm sure you will love it!

Have been on two Carnival cruises, and have one booked for May with DD and our two grandkids. Have done 5 Princess cruises, two on theCaribbean Princess. Without kids, for 7 days compared to 5 or 6, and with that itinerary, I would do the Caribbean Princess in a heartbeat. Ship is more "elegant" feeling. Subtle decor, not overly flashy as Carnival. We have been to Ochoa Rios twice and will never go back. Since you will be going to Falmouth on your Royal cruise, that should give you a taste of Jamaica. On our last Princess cruise, we booked through a small independent travel agent that is one of Princess's highest volume bookers and she was able to get us a fare we couldn't get close to getting via the web or thru Princess. May be able to do same for you to make it even a better deal. E-mail me if you want more info on that.

Edited by jcarlisle

Have been on two Carnival cruises, and have one booked for May with DD and our two grandkids. Have done 5 Princess cruises, two on theCaribbean Princess. Without kids, for 7 days compared to 5 or 6, and with that itinerary, I would do the Caribbean Princess in a heartbeat. Ship is more "elegant" feeling. Subtle decor, not overly flashy as Carnival. We have been to Ochoa Rios twice and will never go back. Since you will be going to Falmouth on your Royal cruise, that should give you a taste of Jamaica. On our last Princess cruise, we booked through a small independent travel agent that is one of Princess's highest volume bookers and she was able to get us a fare we couldn't get close to getting via the web or thru Princess. May be able to do same for you to make it even a better deal. E-mail me if you want more info on that.

What's your email?

How important is a ship with bells & Whistles to you? I've been on the Caribbean Princess twice, and it's nice ship, but it's starting to look it's age. The Breeze is the sister ship to the Magic, which we adored, in fact we just booked a six day leaving February 22nd. We like the spa so we are getting a spa balcony, Princess doesn't have spa cabins, but they do have a thermal suite (Of course extra cost) and the adult only area called the Sanctuary has an extra fee as well.

What is important to you?

I think we are going with Princess. It will be nice to try something other than Carnival and it will give us 2 new ports, 3 if you count Grand Cayman which I already mentioned I missed last time since I wasn't feeling well. It will also break up our wait for our Oasis cruise this summer. I'm really excited to experience that ship!! Thanks for your opinions!

I think we are going with Princess. It will be nice to try something other than Carnival and it will give us 2 new ports, 3 if you count Grand Cayman which I already mentioned I missed last time since I wasn't feeling well. It will also break up our wait for our Oasis cruise this summer. I'm really excited to experience that ship!! Thanks for your opinions!

Re-check my post.... signature line changed.

Nope, no kids this cruise! :D!

We sailed on Princess for the first time a few months ago. Without hesitation, book it! We had a wonderful time. The atmosphere is indeed more sedated and elegant, but without kids it was the absolute right choice. There were families with kids onboard, but not as many as on Carnival.

We sailed on Golden Princess which is a sister ship to the Caribbean Princess. I wrote a review with photos and general comments about Princess so feel free to click on the link below in my signature. Hope it's helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is Princess really nicer than Carnival? Is the Caribbean Princess a good representation of Princess? .

We are carnival junkies-- only because they have the best prices.

Our first Princess was the Caribbean Princess.

This ship has wow'd me from the moment we boarded and left me totally wow'd until we got to the cab afterwards.

We ate in the MDR one night-- and the rest in the buffet. The buffet was that spectaculor-- when comparing with carnival.

Princess soda cards are more afforable and they do have an ULTIMATE soda card for soda, milkshakes and virgin foo foo drinks that are super cheap.

NEVER had a problem getting a drink with my soda card on Princess.

I LOVED their coffee shop where I paid 1.00 for fresh brewed coffee every morning- and the cafe that is attached to the coffee shop is WOW all I can say is wow.

^ with that being said-- you could just stay with carnival until you get your platinum status or go for it and go for a complely different experince

Our first Princess was the Caribbean Princess.

This ship has wow'd me from the moment we boarded and left me totally wow'd until we got to the cab afterwards.

I agree. One of the best memories that I have from my first Princess cruise was exactly the first 10 minutes after boarding the ship, and absorbing its beauty and elegance, the more upscale ambiance, the piped in classical music as we walked down to our cabin, .....and my wife stopping for a moment and starting to cry :eek:. When I asked her what was wrong she said "I'm just so happy to be here. This is wonderful!" :)

My wife is not easily wowed. She has NEVER reacted that way on any of our cruises. And that made that moment even more memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi