Port Info for Shanghai, Okinawa, Hong Kong and Singapore

Neal S

We are doing an October Diamond Princess 17 days Cruise from Beijing to Bangkok. We generally don't do ship tours and like to do our "own thing" but it seams it's more difficult for this cruise itinerary. We have a group of 14 and are looking for port transportation (bus, taxi, train...) and local tour information for a number of stops.

The ports are: Shanghai, Okinawa, Hong Kong and Singapore

We were in Singapore in March of 2004 on the Star Princess. We took the free shuttle bus to the old cruise terminal whre we took the cable car up to the top of Mt. Faber for the views. Then we used the subway to get to Raffles Place where we walked to Raffles Hotel through a beautiful area. We then used the subway and a bus to get out to the botanical gardens. we had a great day in Singapore on our own.

Jeff,

Yes our group of 14 are on the Oct 23 Bejing-Bangkok cruise. Various couples are adding pre and post extensions. My wife and I are spending 3 days in Bangkok and 3 days in Cambodia (we have already done a lot of China via land tours).

I am a CC newbe so I'm not quite sure where I should post my questions (Asia, Princess Roll Call,...)? Should I move my questions to Roll Call? Our major interest is doing our own land tours.

I took a quick look at the roll call board. Boy it's long and access time per page is also long! Is this normal or is it just my DSL line?

Thanks for the tip.

Neal

Where exactly do you stop in Hong Kong?

I used to live there.

I'm guessing you come in at Hung Hom? Do you know for sure?

If you can, get on the MTR (subway), take it to the Central stop. Get out at the Exchange Square exit. Walk around and look at the awesome huge buildings. When you're finished, make your way to the Star Ferry Terminal (very well-marked, if you seriously can't find it, ask a local, they mostly speak English).

Take the ferry across to Tsim Sha Tsui. Get off and go up to Nathan road and just walk Nathan Road. I promise you, it is *fabulous* and wonderful. It is just a wonderful wonderful place.

If you are adventurous, there is some excellent food to be had off Nathan Road in the Chung King mansions (total dive, excellent food, about 38th floor or so, trust me, they'll hunt you down if you walk in and are touristy looking!) Yum!

Let me know if you have specific questions! There is truly no need for a land tour in HK... everything is well-marked in English and you'll get SO much more out of it on foot! :)

Kimberly & Keith,

Tks for the info ... sounds great. Don't exactly know what dock the Princess Diamond comes into. Princess keeps that pretty quite! Anybody out there know for sure?

You will LOVE cruising, Neal

I don't know how well all of this will work with a group of fourteen, but here is a copy of something I posted earlier regarding Singapore. Some of this will not be applicable if you are only there during one day.

"I urge you to take a day in Singapore if you can. While kind of sterile and lacking in much of historical charm, there is plenty to see and do. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Breakfast with the orangutans at the Singapore Zoo (9:00 am). Not always available so check the Singapore Zoo website. You literally get to eat with orangutans. An experience like no other. Take lots of film. Sometimes, there is tea (4:00pm) with other animals. Check the website. The zoo, by the way, is one of the best in the world.

2. Night safari. Out by the zoo, after sunset. You get to see nocturnal animals. Again, a pretty unique experience.

3. Orchid garden. If you like orchids, this is the greatest collection in the world. It is set inside the botanical gardens, which is itself worth seeing. There is a very good gift shop at the orchid garden as well, but prices are no real bargains.

4. The Raffles Hotel itself, downtown. Refurbished. One of the great colonial hotels in the world. (If you want to stay there, it is a great (!!) splurge). Check out the shops (including the gourmet shop which has magnificent chocolates), the long bar (where the Singapore Sling was invented), and Ah Teng's Bakery (notwithstanding the name, it has wonderful dim sum). It also has very good and reliable antiques stores (expensive) and very good art galleries. One of the greatest tea shops in the world is located along Seah St., one of the streets next to the Hotel, as is Sasha's, a delightful teddy bear shop.

5. Little India. Just what the name implies.

6. Chinatown. Lots and lots of fun, all kinds of shops. While I don't remember the name, there is a very good barbecue (yes, barbecue) place in Chinatown.

7. Shopping along Orchard Road. Shopping is THE Singapore activite and Orchard Road has all of the high end shops. Great people watching too. Check out a couple of the shopping malls (my favorite is Bugis Plaza). Try to go when they are full of people. It is quite a site.

8. Street food, particularly at the "hawker centers." In fact, food anywhere (usuing your usual cautions) is very good here.

9. The Museums. They are all located fairly close to the Raffles and Orchard Ave. The National Museum is quite good but my favorite is the Museum of Asian Culture (I think that's the name). Exceptional rotating exhibits.

You should be able to get a good car and driver for Singapore$35.00 hour (about US$22-25 today) through the concierge desks at any good hotel. I have used Raffles for this. Given how far flung some things are and the limited amount of time, public transit will probably just take too long. Avoid a driver who wants to take you on his own tour. You should set up a car/driver well in advance; don't wait until you get there.

I can only hope that you will have as much fun in Singapore as I have had. It is one of those places I love to return to."

To the foregoing, let me add Clarke Quay - gets more interesting in the late afternoon and evenings, with some very good bars and restaurants. A nice place for an evening out.

Suggestion: You may want to try to get a mini-bus for the day. A web-search under limousine or car hire and singapore might work. Also, you might check with one of the hotel concierge desks to see if this can be set up. A useful website is www dot visitsingapore dot com.

I agree with Kimberly and Keith,

Hong Kong is a very easy city to see on your own.

Transportation is easy by bus, metro and taxis (which are cheap). And of course the ferry from mainland HK to Kowloon.

Places to visit are the Jade Market which is on Kowloon as is Nathan Road.

In Tsim Sha Sui, there is some great shopping along the main street. Since real estate is expensive, many restaurants aren't on the street. If you go into the Princes Building or one of the other commercial buildings, you can find some fabulous dim sum restaurants.

On the HK side, a visit up to Victoria Peak, by tram, is a must. Walk along Hollywood Blvd to see the antique stores. One of my favorite places for lunch is near there called "M on the Square".

HK Park and the aviary is very nice to visit if you have the time.

If you only have one day in HK, you won't have time for more than that. However, if you have more than one day and want to shop, Stanley Market the the best place. But it's a little out of the way and too far for a one day visit to HK.

Jane

Archived