Last Minute Reservation and Quantum Dynamic Dining

I have friends who are looking at booking the Quantum for Jan 23rd.

I have concerns about them being able to get reservations in the restaurants.

If they cannot pre-reserve the times that they want, will they be able to work them in as walk-ins or make reservations once on board?

Same goes for Mamma Mia.

Please advise, as they are looking at spending over 4k and I don't want them to be disappointed.

Edited by Cruise Arizona

I expect that while they may have a bit of a wait if they choose to dine at a peak time, they will be seated relatively quickly. There is a difference between reservations being "required" and being "recommended" or "suggested", a difference that some critics of dynamic dining seem to ignore. I also get the impression that some of the glitches that were reported on early cruises have now been dealt with and things are going much more smoothly. We will know better next month when we are on her 11 night sailing.:)

I just booked the 23rd cruise, and made my reservations last night. I was able to get all my reservations for 6:30 - 8:15 for all nights. I wasn't able to book one of the guest entertainers, and had to pick different times for the other shows from my friends, that had booked long ago. I'm hoping to do standby for the same shows as them, once I get on the ship.

We are also booked on the 1/23 cruise and from what I can see for dining reservations, there are still quite a few available times at both the complimentary and specialty restaurants. They may have to be a bit flexible in their dining times and maneuver a little so that the dining times coordinate with their entertainment reservations.

Alternatively, they can just reserve the entertainment times and some restaurants and decide to walk-in to a restaurant of choice for any night they do not have dining reservations. From what I have heard, the waiting times have apparently lessened significantly from earlier cruises for those without reservations.

You may also want to read this very recent thread regarding dining and the improvements.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2149720

Edited by iceburg1

It will be interesting to see the numbers for the upcoming sailings as it seems like the RCI intent of no last minute discounting is being applied to the Quantum. The 1/23 sailing has plenty of inventory left but there's been no dramatic decrease in prices (4% last week). This lack of a full ship may be helping with venue availability.

Given the feedback from the last sailing, dining choices (and reservations) are becoming less of an issue. And the free internet being given away sure helps soothe any problems folks may encounter.:cool:

Thanks for the Information. Friends booked today and I have told them to go and take care of their dining and entertainment arrangements right away. Maybe with the ship not at full capacity it will improve the service and availability. It is such a nice 10 day Itinerary, I hope they have a great time.