Solo Cruiser, 1st timer (ex Sydney)

G'day, I'm looking for a Solo Cruise around August September 2015 as my next holiday.

I'm looking for a relaxing 'holiday' experience after spending many years holidaying overseas.

This wil be my first cruise since a blurred 10 day 'Fairstar' cruise back in the mid-80's, sharing a 4 berth cabin with 3 strangers, showers that flooded, feeling like i was trapped in an RSL club and the sound of water slapping against the ship as our cabin was at water level. hehe.

I'm nervous about being trapped on a "Bogan-on-Sea Cruise" (yes some of my friends are bogans that have been on these cruises! LOL) but feel that on a large ship, maybe a 9-12 day cruise around August / September would be ok.

I'm getting used to 'single cabin shock' and have seen some 'ok' prices on P&O (1,700+) on Pacific Pearl/Jewel, I'm keen for an exterior view as like 'natural' light rather than a room without windows.

I'm 51 male, still a bit of 'kid' at heart and like having fun on holiday so not ready for the "grey nomads-on-sea" yet (haha), just looking for good fun time and hopefully meet up with a few other like-minded solo'ers on the high seas.

Are there any Cruise Lines that are more 'solo' friendly that others, and have solo meetings to meet others?

Also F.O.D (Friends of Dorothy) friendly would be nice (but not essential).

Also, do all Cruises book out in advance? or is it worth keeping an eye out for online specials and promotions.

Any tips / feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Brett

Hi Brett, As a regular slightly older 'greyer' solo traveller, I have discovered that solo fares are best a long way from the cruise. If the cruise is popular, then they become nonexistant. Usually they are 100%, but if you book early sometimes 50%. I personally prefer the smaller or mid range ships as they tend to be more friendly. Although it depends entirely on the mic of other passengers. Length of cruise, = the longer the cruise the older the passengers, the sunnier ports, the younger the passengers. Just my thoughts. K

ps. I remember well the 4 berth share cabins with the bathrooms down the passage that smelt very chemical. I once shared with 3 much olderGerman speaking ladies. Not a lot in common. K

Thanks for the replies.

The Singles cruise, in fact ALL Carnival Cruises are the wrong side of $2,000 for me.

Most likely looking towards a 9 or 12 day Cruise on P&O Pearl or Jewel.

What are the 'Obstructed View Cabin's' like Deck 8 on P&O Jewel / Pearl?

Are they totally obstructed or can you still get some natural light,

cheers

You will get natural light. However, the view itself is well obstructed by tenders so no guarantees about how much/where you can see. For example some deck 8 cabins have windows aligned in the middle so you can see straight out between the tenders. Otherwise you'll get filtered light in from above.