Cell Phone Usage Question. I'm sorry.

I just need to get this information straight in my mind. My provider is Verizon and before I leave on my cruise I will have my phone service switched over to International Calling. I will probably only send a few text messages and check my work email a couple times a day. Other times I will want to look at my itinerary and excursion plans that I have stored on my Kindle app on my phone. What do I need to do/turn off or on or change settings on my phone so I won't get charged when looking at my files that I have saved using my Kindle app? Or if I want to look at deck plans on my Ship Mate App...will I get charged?

Thank you!

I just need to get this information straight in my mind. My provider is Verizon and before I leave on my cruise I will have my phone service switched over to International Calling. I will probably only send a few text messages and check my work email a couple times a day. Other times I will want to look at my itinerary and excursion plans that I have stored on my Kindle app on my phone. What do I need to do/turn off or on or change settings on my phone so I won't get charged when looking at my files that I have saved using my Kindle app? Or if I want to look at deck plans on my Ship Mate App...will I get charged?

Thank you!

Checking your work email will require data. I would double check with Verizon that your International Calling includes data while at sea. If it does not, then checking your email might get very expensive.

International calling and texting would be used in port. "Cellular at sea" plan must be purchased separately for using your phone while you are at sea. RCI only provides the cell tower they do not charge you directly for cell service, that bill is strictly Verizon. The ship's cell tower is turned off close to land.

You could purchase WiFi minutes from RCI for your Kindle, but if the files are stored on the device it shouldn't be needed.

Call Verizon directly and speak to someone about setting up your international calling plan.

Also look here for pricing info: Verizon Global Planner

Be sure you speak to someone who specializes in the Global stuff though, so you make sure you get your information correct.

You may need to turn off Data while roaming, , and you may or may not be able to send picture texts, depending on what you choose. They should be able to walk you through all that.

They have been very helpful at Verizon every time I have done this. I usually just keep my phone on for texts, and turn off the data, just use wi-fi when I need it /in ports only.

Don't be alarmed when you get texts every time you go to a new port from Verizon- they are free 'you are in xyz country and calls cost $$$' texts that don't cost you anything to receive.

Thank you!

Just turn your "Cellular Data" off (and leave it off unless absolutely necessary) and you can receive calls/texts, check items that you have stored on your phone etc. No need for airplane mode unless you so not want to receive any calls or texts) You will need data to check your email so try to do that at port (turn wifi on).

Just turn your "Cellular Data" off (and leave it off unless absolutely necessary) and you can receive calls/texts, check items that you have stored on your phone etc. No need for airplane mode unless you so not want to receive any calls or texts) You will need data to check your email so try to do that at port (turn wifi on).

So if I only wanted to be able to text my children that are on the ship with me, I would turn cellular data off and leave airplane mode off or on? I know that I need to call verizon first to activate the texting. I don't care about data or email. My oldest will be 12 on this ship so I'm a little nervous that she won't be in the structured kid's club. Thanks so much for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by mickev99

So if I only wanted to be able to text my children that are on the ship with me, I would turn cellular data off and leave airplane mode off or on? I know that I need to call verizon first to activate the texting. I don't care about data or email. My oldest will be 12 on this ship so I'm a little nervous that she won't be in the structured kid's club. Thanks so much for the help.

If you want to send/receive SMS texts, you would turn cellular data off, and leave airplane mode off too. The phone cannot send or receive SMS texts with airplane mode on. Note that SMS means no photos, videos, group texting. Each text will cost $0.50 to send and $0.05 to receive.

Edited by clarea

Thanks, Bob. My 3 girls will be together with my phone and we will have my husband's phone, so we won't need to group text. Just want to use it sparingly to check in with them. I'm old school and don't see any reason my 12 year old needs her own phone so she will be using mine for the cruise. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums