I don't think I could ever go on a CC group cruise - Could You??

I am currently booked on a CC group cruise. The thought never crossed my mind, nor did I get the feeling from others in the group, that I was expected to hang around with the CC group throughout the cruise. I love sharing info about the shore tours, hotels and airfare with the group. I am also really looking forward to meeting some of the people who I have seen on the post boards for some time. My son and I did not choose the official group dinner time, simply because we love late dinner. Especially on port days. I guess my thoughts on participating in a group cruises is to get a better rate, meet some of the people I post with, and share info.

CC Group Cruise Leaders: don't be offended. :o We don't think your groups are bad. You seem like nice people who truly care about your people.

However, there are members of this board who constantly put down posters, ignore those outside the "group" & seem to enjoy bantering back & forth among themselves.

I would not like to be on a cruise with a bunch like that.

I am really glad I found this thread. While I have found so much information on CC, and have just enjoyed all my roll calls, I have noted a trend of nastiness that has been allowed to fester on various threads across the site.

It is very frustrating to post some info you have found and to be THRASHED by some meany who thinks s/he knows everything. It is worse to see nothing done about terrible treatment on the boards, until things get out of hand, and then the moderators step in and POOF the threads. This lets the nasty people win, and it is very upsetting for the decent people who are here to learn more about cruising.

I believe chuck and dana when they say they have great threads for their cruises. I think it's great that they are making sure that nastiness is not allowed there. But in general, the nasties don't hang out on roll calls. They like to hang out on the threads where they can retain their anonymity.

I think it's terrible that the boards have gotten so rough that people are reluctant to take advantage of one of the benefits off CC, Bargain Cruises. While I know that the boards are so big and unwieldy, this is a symptom of how the boards are managed, not their size. Something needs to been done soon, or more people will leave. Some already have.

I tried to summarize what everyone else has said, but if I left something out, feel free to add on.

first...when you book a group cruise, you are in no way obligated to "hang" with the other members of your group. no one is tying you together with a rope...lol

third...i invite you ALL and i do mean ALL, to stop in on my group board. you will not find one nasty comment, nor one single criticism of anything anyone packs, wears, or says, for that matter. we are booked on the same great cruise, for a great rate and the companionship of other fellow cruisers. whether we have a drink with them, eat dinner with them, or never see them at all...that is totally up to us! not one of us feels forced to do a single thing.

we've been chatting for nearly a year, some longer and we know as much about each other as if we were living next door. .

if you feel insecure because someone is going to criticize anything about how you travel, then you've been reading the wrong board!!!! come on over to my board.....you are guaranteed to feel the love!!! and i'd bet you book a group cruise next time around!!!!

(we use lots of smilies in my group...lol):D

chuck, the gentleman that posted above me, is a friend of mine as well. we met on the boards when he was setting up his group. he asked me for help and i gave him everything he asked for...his way of paying it forward, as it were, is to make my group their very own baseball caps with our name, ship and date embroidered on them! this is what the cc boards are all about! i have helped many people get started with their groups and they've helped me right back.

sorry that people have been rude, or insensitive. ignore them...they're not worth it....

i'm just very passionate about the cc experience...it's been awesome for me and i'm paying it forward to you!

see you on the boards! :)

We booked this Family Jewels cruise 'on our own', Dana welcomed us with open arms.............the warmth we have been shown by all the Jewels has been awesome.

I've not been posting as long as some of the Jewels but all ready we feel 'part of the family'. ( hubby just reads ...not post ;))I've laughed.............cried, for peoples sorrow ( Doesn't that tell you something when, you can open up to 'your family') cried some more, and laughed and laughed !!!!!!!!!! Each and every one of the Jewels are supportive of each other.

I've read every post from when the Jewels started............NOT ONE NEGATIVE POST.

April can't come quick enough for us, I'm sure the friends we've made on the CC boards will be a pleasure to cruise with.

Dana is a fabulous leader........her energy and zest is outstanding.

Enough of my waffle , look for yourselves..........

DANA.........you rock :D

CC Group Cruise Leaders: don't be offended. :o We don't think your groups are bad. .

I am not offended and love that tequilamonkingbird took the courage and jumped in here and asked that question. I for one would have no idea that people think like that. I thought people did not want to book the groups because of time constraints-- that is why I put a disclaimer in my group posts about what is expected.

I read a posting on the group board from someone who thought that booking with a group everything on her cruise will be taken care of-- her excursions- her hotel.. Yikes, that is a potential problem and that is why I got a grip on the situation and let people know-basically they are on their own.

Although a group leader for the Liberty and Caribbean Princess- Joe and I eat early where the rest of the group are doing the later one. I do research on the area hotels and post them- I wont include hotels that get bad ratings.

I also research the ports and put information there about what to do.

Then we have a roll call board. Very few of us are posting there. CHuck was kind enough to find us a person to design us mugs, tee shirts, mouse pads. (cheaper soverneirs then what the cruiselines offer)

BUT there are some groups that are formed that this is their 3rd or 4th cruise together...so those groups are kinda all into the friendships already. But I was on the same group as the Partae Pirates in February- with another group- Joe and I did our own thing- went to the COctail party afterall drinks were free...(considering we dont drink , being free its for me) but dined on our own, did our own excursions, did the stuff onthe ship. It was nice meeting these people..putting a face behind words. WOuld I do it again? If the price ws great--yes.

Sometimes these cruises you get much better discounts, ship credit, wines, etc.etc. so the perks alone==

another thing--- you canbook a group cruise by calling their agent listed in the advertisement and tell him/her you dont want to be recognized.

CC Group Cruise Leaders: don't be offended. :o We don't think your groups are bad. You seem like nice people who truly care about your people.

However, there are members of this board who constantly put down posters, ignore those outside the "group" & seem to enjoy bantering back & forth among themselves.

I would not like to be on a cruise with a bunch like that.

Exactly.

I am not offended and love that tequilamonkingbird took the courage and jumped in here and asked that question. I for one would have no idea that people think like that. I thought people did not want to book the groups because of time constraints-- that is why I put a disclaimer in my group posts about what is expected.

OP here again! Thanks Selena.........but I'm really not all that brave and I'm glad to see that a lot of posters have "come out" and agreed with me. It's very hard for us newbies. We are so excited about our first cruises and really don't know anything so most of our questions seem redundent to you "pros". Most posters here are wonderful!!!! I have learned sooooo much! And I appreciate your paitance. :) But some of you are truly mean and condensending. I WOULD NOT want to cruise with you at all! There's no ship big enough................

Anyway, off my soapbox :o

I wouldn't go on a group cruise if you paid my fare. Doesn't matter which group. I am a loner (altho personable) and prefer to wander around ports by myself, to read a lot in the Lido with my endless cup of tea. If I am with people (as RuthC will tell you), I will happily keep up my end of the conversation and you will find me good company, but if you want a friendship-stopper, just say, "Now, you have to do this and I won't take 'no' for an answer."

If I am with blowhards, CC'ers or not, you will see them turn up on my "Live from the xxxdam" threads!

You sound JUST LIKE ME!!!

Interesting.

Here is a group of people making mean and derogatory comments about a group of people they claim make mean and derogatory comments about people.

It seems you all fit right in with those you are complaining about.

Wow, it seems like I showed up late at this party!! I'd like to join Chuck, Serene and Dana by saying a group cruise is what you make of it. Most people sign up for the rates - in fact some people sign up through our TA and we never even hear from them on these boards or onboard ship - and that is just fine too!! It provides the opportunity to have significant savings for your trip AND the opportunity to discuss, plan, prepare, etc. before your trip. By saying you would never go on a group cruise you are excluding yourself from some possible significant savings on your trip.

In June we went on our first CC group cruise, out all of the cruisers onboard our group consisted of possibly 30 people. We met before sailing (of course it wasn't mandatory!) and it was nice to have someone to wave hello to throughout the week. Some members of our group got together for drinks each evening, others never saw any of us again. I was certainly more intimidated by the trekkies that showed up on our Hawaii cruise a couple of years ago :eek: (we didn't know there was a group onboard until we arrived) than I was by CC members.

Give it a try sometime, worst case scenario - you save a few dollars, best case you get lots of information to help prepare for your trip and meet some new friends!! :D

By the way, the group leaders aren't cruising snobs, if you look posts that are critical of other cruisers you will rarely (if ever) find one from a group leader - we wouldn't want to scare anyone off!!

I think some of you are missing the point. It isn't about whether to sail on a Group Cruise, although there are some people who would not ever think this is appealing, from any group. The problem is that there are people who are so negative, that we have new people afraid to run into them on one of these cruises.

Imagine having an experience so bad on the internet that you would worry about running into the person involved on a ship over over 2000 people. This says that there is a problem here.

I'm glad that there are some cruise leaders who are looking out for everyone on their groups. That means there is hope.

RetRanger, I read your comment with a lot of interest. What do you suggest to alleviate the problem?

It's been 2 years since my last cruise--way too long--we're taking a 7 day Christmas cruise. Anyway I usually only come to these boards when I'll be cruising. I've been back here the last couple of weeks doing research and seeing what's going on on the cruise circuit AND man have I noticed a big difference in the tone of the post. Also a lack of responding to people's simple questions. It seems to be alot more interest in responding to the more controversal post.

Some people--like myself--come here to learn, find out what they need to know, find answers to their questions and to get ready for their next cruise.

We can give our opinions on matters. But let's remember--Opinions are like buttholes :o and everyones got one. So be tolerent and kind. What goes around comes around.

My 6th cruise is on the horizion!

Highseas

I never suggested that there is a problem that requires a solution. People are just being people.

One person thinks their opinon is an honest and open expression of the facts and the other persons opinion in nasty and mean spirited. I think I see just as many so-called mean spirited comments by identified as non-CCers as I do from those identified as CCers.

Myself I am not a "group" person, like to do my own thing. I just try to avoid the opinionated and enjoy the folks who are on vacation to have a good time.

By the way for those that like to get fired up by small silly things and rant and rave on the boards please don't stop, I enjoy the entertainment.

Hi

We are just home from a back to back cruise on Caribbean Princess 1st week was 13 Aug and 2nd was 20 Aug. Great time - more about that in the correct place, but seeing this I had to post. 1st week the cruise critic in our opinion did not really take off and we did not specially look for the members although we met at least 3-4 families when on the trips and got on great - making us realise if the pre-roll call had really taken off it would have worked well. Our 2nd week roll call before the cruise really took off. We felt coming from UK London like we really knew them and although we were already on the ship we looked forward to meeting them and boy were we right. It was like meeting old friends and very nice to have known friendly faces all week when bumping into them. We met on the 1st night round one of the pools and most of us had dinner together on 1 night only towards the end of the week - which we found lovely. It was a case of meet if you want to but absolutely fine if you dont. Our daughter Louise went Skywalkers on the 1st night with a couple and had a great time and met with others during the week for trivia (only wanted us for our knowledge of England questions - only joking) (we could not answer most of them anyway). So thanks to Cruise Critic - we learnt loads, found friends and exchanged e-mails etc (Jim, Mel, Elsa, Pam and all their families) and are on the boards even when we have no specific booked cruise. It certainly worked for us!!!! If it suited us (dates, ship etc) we would book a cruise critic hols with no worries (which was the orig question I believe).

Gill, Stuart and Louise

I guess I don't get the reticence. We are taking one in a few weeks and I am very excited. First of all there are so many people on the ship you may never even see your fellow CC'ers. CC is a HUGE board and there are some on every sailing of every cruise at this point with the exception of some of the boutique ships. Most CCers are wonderful and friendly and just nice. Even posts that come across as harsh may not be meant to be. The majority of people on the boards are very polite. The price of a group cruise is very inviting. Don't pay more because of concerns like this, really. Lastly you may be missing out on lifelong friendships by avoiding a CC cruise. With thousands of posters and even more lurkers you could have the best cruise of your life. People are going to be critical, it's human nature. They are going to be critical of things you cannot imagine if they are on the boards or not. I am glad I cannot hear what people think! I cannot worry about what someone thinks about me on my vacation. I dress appropriatly and don't hog chairs and don't worry about it!

Maybe I am missing the point. Tequila's main issue is being intimidated, insulted by "some" people on CC. What has that got to do with group cruises? I would just about guess that most of those people aren't going on group cruises. I support all that has been said by other group cruise leaders on this thread. I think Serene's "catch" post spelled it out really well. Please check out the various group boards, you will see little if ANY negativity on them. I was a 1st time cruiser once and love to help the newbies now.

I think a better line of topic would have been "Do you feel intimidated by some CC members". By putting your question into a group cruise format it seems you miss the majority of the people this should be directed to. I agree that some people aren't always friendly on these boards and I'm not down playing your concern, I just think it should be talked about in a general cruising way as opposed to putting it on the shoulders of group cruises.

Just my humble opinion.

Hi everyone! We're also on the "Family Jewels" CC group cruise with Dana as group leader. As you can see by my signature, we are not experienced cruisers compared to a lot of people on these boards. We joined this group cruise almost by accident. We had already chosen this cruise when I happened to notice on the boards that it was a "group cruise". The price was right, so we booked. It was a very happy accident! :) We have since "met" a number of very nice people that I am personally looking very much forward to spending time with in April. We already have a party and 3 excursions planned among ourselves. I am personally a "joiner" and LOVE to spend time with new people. I am also very relieved, because in one instance my 85 yo MIL wants to take a tour that the rest of our family group of 4 will not be taking as we have other plans. I have the assurance from Dana and others in our group that she will not be alone. She will have already met these new "friends" and I know will enjoy her day immensely.

That said, there are a number of people in our group who are not going on excursions, parties, etc. That is OK. I do hope they come to the M&M so we can meet. We met a lot of very nice people who we had chatted with at our M&M on our last cruise. Some we never saw again, we met 2 CC families pre-cruise for dinner & had a great time & even went on an excursion with 2 other couples! We had a great time. We weren't joined at the hips and only saw each other a few times beyond that. But it was always so nice to see a friendly face in the crowd & wave "hello". Most of our time was spent enjoying our own family.

I must say, I didn't meet a single critical CC member. We hung our CC door sign on our door and had several friendly people knock on the door and introduce themselves. But that is just us, we enjoy that! :D No one else did that & no one criticized them for it. I haven't read other CC Group threads (too busy with our own!), but we have had NO criticism or leaving anyone out that I can see. Everyone is welcome to participate as much or little as they want. We're planning together, getting to know each other, celebrating each other's victories, losing weight together :rolleyes: , laughing together & even grieving together. We've become friends. We see beyond politics, religion, personal prejudices and petty differences. We just see each other's true personalities. Does that mean we'll be lifelong friends? I hope so. If not, it will mean an enhaced vacation experience for those of us who choose to mingle & join in with group activities. For those who choose not to join it will mean a more affordable vacation with the added benefits of additional resources to make their vacation that much more memorable.

See, Dana, I can rant, too! :D

Maybe I am missing the point. Tequila's main issue is being intimidated, insulted by "some" people on CC. What has that got to do with group cruises? I would just about guess that most of those people aren't going on group cruises. I support all that has been said by other group cruise leaders on this thread. I think Serene's "catch" post spelled it out really well. Please check out the various group boards, you will see little if ANY negativity on them. I was a 1st time cruiser once and love to help the newbies now.

I think a better line of topic would have been "Do you feel intimidated by some CC members". By putting your question into a group cruise format it seems you miss the majority of the people this should be directed to. I agree that some people aren't always friendly on these boards and I'm not down playing your concern, I just think it should be talked about in a general cruising way as opposed to putting it on the shoulders of group cruises.

Just my humble opinion.

Donna, I agree with you. I think the OP had a very valid point about some on the CC boards that have been less than nice to those that haven't cruised as often as they have (or those that say anything negative about the cruise line they love). However, I honestly think that is an entirely different issue than group CC cruises. I cruise solo (thanks to a divorce ten years ago) and have always had a wonderful time. I've met people in person that I've chatted with on here and many have become life long friends. Next April I will be going on my first CC group cruise. I didn't book it because of the discount . . . in fact, I didn't even book it via the CC group travel agent (I wanted a specific cabin so booked via my travel agent) . . . so I won't even get any of the "perks" given to those that booked with the group. I booked the cruise because I really wanted to meet some of the people I've come to "know" via their posts. I don't plan to do group excursions or spend more time with the "group" than I feel comfortable with.

TKM - you need to weigh in here and let us know if this about intimidation, as I, litewait and ladycaveat think, or is it about Group cruises?

Whatever it is, you will have supporters either way. And people who disagree, but that's OK. So far there's been no slamming here, so feel free to speak your mind.

So are most of you talking about the cruise groups organized by CC members (as in the cruises listed at the very top of the names of the forums) or are you discussing the tone in general of some of the threads. It seems as we have two different topics here (as someone just noted above).

Or, a third topic, do some of you simply do not want to meet another CCers who are on the same cruise as you?

The main reason I've not booked a group cruise is because the ones I've been interested in have not been that discounted in their prices. I was so excited when I first joined Cruise Critic and heard about the group cruises and the cheap prices you can get on group cruises. But when I started checking them out the prices didn't seem that good to me and I was sorely disappointed. Is it just me, or do the prices not seem that good to you guys?:confused: I'm not trying to be critical or offend any of the people on group cruises, but I honestly find the prices to not be that discounted. Perhaps it is because I'm so good at finding dirt cheap prices. All of my friends contact me before they travel because they know I can find the best price for them. It may also be because our family can travel just about any time and have a flexible schedule. Everyone tells me I should become a TA, maybe I should.:) What do you guys think? Honestly now, do the group prices seem to be a good deal to you?

Actually, the price was only about a couple of hundred less for the two of us then if we had booked it with our previous "discount broker", but less is less. Because we have to plan way in advance due to our jobs our best bet is to book early. I do see some pretty good last minute deals advertised, though. However, now that we have gotten to know our CC group, I wouldn't trade it in even for a lower price for a longer cruise! I'm really, really looking forward to going on this cruise with this group! :D

Maybe I can snare a really good deal on our next one. Nah, I'll probably stick with a CC group! :)

TKM - you need to weigh in here and let us know if this about intimidation, as I, litewait and ladycaveat think, or is it about Group cruises?

Whatever it is, you will have supporters either way. And people who disagree, but that's OK. So far there's been no slamming here, so feel free to speak your mind.

:confused: I thought I did back in this post:

Hi OP here! I am not against cruising with a group whether it's family, friends, or strangers..............it's just CC members who intimidate me. (Not all of you of course - most are very nice!!) I'd be terrified of making some cruise faux pas (sp?) and having it ridiculed here on the boards.....:eek:

Archived